PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joejuan Williams film breakdown + predictive metrics

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterfallJumper

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Part I

The UDFA thread took a detour over the weekend to discuss the Joejuan Williams selection. I promised a more in-depth look at Joejuan, why I liked him so much, and his fit in the Patriots scheme. Tangential to that debate: a discussion of the relative value of testing numbers (such as the 40) and whether or not it's acceptable to brandish Combine results as authoritative weapons in our battle for the truth. I'll try to dig into both aspects in this post, since there's room for nuance re: testing.

This is going to be way, way too long, so I'll split the film study into a second post. I'll start it off with clips from others, but I plan to update with my own gifs once I've had a chance to create them throughout the day. I have a number of plays in mind from my film study that I want to highlight, but I can only do so much while I'm at work.

@scott99 @Deus Irae -- I'm picking up our discussion from the UDFA thread.

Anyone who listened to listened to Belichick's pre-draft press conference should have locked in Williams as a near certainty for the Patriots:

The writing was on the wall far earlier in the process, however. Williams was #1 in the SEC in passes broken up, solo tackles by a corner, and interceptions by a corner. That's great production in probably the most competitive conference (Caserio's own words after the draft). Belichick worked him out personally, and we met with him at least twice throughout the draft process.

League "sources" were convinced that it was likely he would end up with the Patriots:

Daniel Jeremiah had predicted before the Combine that if Williams ran in the 4.5 range, he would probably go in the first round. Sure enough, once he ran better at his pro day (laser timed, by the way; he attributed his improvement to fresh legs and better technique, although he still didn't get a great start, which could have potentially helped him break 4.5), Jeremiah put him back in the first round -- notice he doesn't even reach the Patriots: Daniel Jeremiah 2019 NFL mock draft 4.0: Redskins land Haskins

Breer put him in the first as well, going to the Patriots: The MMQB’s five most recent NFL mock drafts, all in one place

Schrager also had him going to the Patriots at 32: Peter Schrager 2019 NFL mock draft 3.0: Texans move into top 10

Reuters had him going to the Patriots at 64: Chad Reuter 2019 seven-round NFL mock draft: Round 2

CBS also had him at 64: Seven-round 2019 NFL Mock Draft: Full breakdowns for all 32 teams, with 34 trades and all the picks

I list all of these just to show that he wasn't some fringe prospect; many people thought he was a first - second round prospect, and quite a few also made the connection to the Patriots. Anyone watching his games and listening to draft prognostication could put them together. Here's just one example of several of us discussing Williams at 32. Winovich was also on our radar:

What Pick Would Surprise You But...

Plenty of analytics sites liked Joejuan Williams. Winks, for example, who has some of the most interesting statistical breakdowns and conclusions around, listed Joejuan in his first team all analytic defense:

As for cornerback testing, let's be clear: the 40 time does matter for corners. No other test correlates very well with NFL success for cornerbacks. Running well in the 40 is the only test with even general correlation, because ultimately cornerbacks need to be able to stick with receivers and must have recovery speed when they're inevitably beaten (even Law, Bailey, Revis, etc lost reps; it's humanly impossible to win every single battle against a receiver). And even then, it's not a perfect science:

QVLv-OijbMqF6xI7mxWeDy8IR_aRS_CwwBEwVsIzj8fnlO08oErqmwc-NxUUJ6LO3r4ha7URjD44pSLch1QtPWhmYrqJV-pm9O9e9VavdEvw11orbDh9gTDmTPEyaZ11rJednkAo

Coverage metrics are probably a better way of looking at future performance, and even then they do a better job of weeding out players who fall below thresholds than they do predicting super stars.

Learning which metrics matter for which role really makes a difference. For example, for shorter receivers, there's almost no NFL production correlation with any testing performance, although agility seems to help; for receivers over 6'2, looking at their jumps and 10 yard splits (and two seasons of high end college production) is one of the best predictors of success. It's no surprise that different positions match up with different tests, but it's worth looking closely when there's a strong link, such as short shuttle for OL.

Good testing doesn't guarantee good football players. We should remember that when going wide-eyed over watching Ken Webster jump 43" even though I think he has a shot. Good football players, however, almost always test well. It's not a shock that the best athletes make . . . the best athletes. Yes, there are a few notable exceptions. Players can certainly overcome physical limitations. Ignoring bad testing because you want the player to succeed? Well, that usually involves more hope than analysis. For a player to miss a benchmark (or multiple marks) means that you've got to have extraordinarily circumstances to counteract the poor performances.

That said, there are some mitigating factors to consider, particularly for different roles and sizes. There's some precedent -- not a guarantee, obviously, but precedent -- for big, physical corners with long arms and explosive traits to do well regardless of speed disadvantage. Many more crashed and burned, no doubt, but it's still worth looking at historical comparisons. Williams stacks up very well against most of them, as you can see in the screenshots below this wall of text. His size and physicality, combined with his tape, which we'll look at in the next post, gives me reason to believe that he's got a very strong chance at continuing the trend as a slower corner who doesn't pay for his relative lack of long speed in the NFL.

It's also worth noting that the difference between a 4.4 and a 4.5 is essentially one step. A tall player with long arms can reduce the throwing windows sufficiently to remove the advantage given by an extra step. If that player also has a strong jam and knows how to get away with subtle hand checks and jersey tugs, then he may gain positioning advantage against the receiver.

Speaking of receivers, here's a list of top twenty receiving yards last year. Other than Julio Jones, Tyreek Hill, TY Hilton, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham, and Stefon diggs, roughly 75% of these receivers and tight ends run in the same 4.5 - 4.6 range as Williams. He's exactly the matchup piece the Patriots will play against these bigger, physical receivers and tight ends.

upload_2019-4-29_14-3-50.png

upload_2019-4-29_12-35-30.png

VS:

upload_2019-4-29_12-6-45.png

upload_2019-4-29_12-7-19.png

upload_2019-4-29_12-29-35.png

upload_2019-4-29_12-9-12.png

upload_2019-4-29_12-28-45.png

Bonus picture: Here is Joejuan Williams at 17 years old, meeting Richard Sherman. Maybe Williams will carry on Sherman's legacy? I could see him as a Sherman / Browner hybrid for the Patriots.

m9f46tlcbuu21.jpg

Of course, how can we hate his response to coming here? :cool:

Last edited:
Part II

Make sure you read this entire Twitter thread (even though they're an abomination to navigate) if you want to see a number of plays from Williams against top competition.

Calvin Ridley had 10 TDs as a rookie. Joejuan hung with him pretty well for the most part.

This pass breakup ended the game on 4th down, if I recall:

Against Georgia, we got a chance to see how quick Williams is, as evidenced by his 4.01 short shuttle time (that's in the 92 percentile, which is insane for a 6'4 corner). Here Williams doesn't jam. Instead, he does uses a side bail technique to take away an inside release, trusting that he can keep up with a vertical route to the sidelines against the much smaller Terry Godwin, who went to the Panthers in the draft this year. He squeezes Godwin to the sidelines, maintains leverage in case the route comes back to the quarterback, and does a great job keeping his balance when he turns around and reaches for the ball. That's as good as it gets for a 6'4 #211 corner!

There's nothing super impressive about this clip, but I wanted to highlight this snap for a few reasons. 1) Williams aligns in the slot instead of outside. 2) He shows a great understanding of leverage; he walls off the receiver, only giving him an outside release for a potential seam or corner route -- which he knows he can cover with trail technique since his height and long arms reduce the window for dropping a ball in over him. 3) That's AJ Brown; many of us, myself included, thought he was a legitimate option at 32. Spoiler: Williams absolutely smothered him in numerous matchups this game, whether in the slot or outside, pressing him and easily mirroring his breaks at the top of the route stem.

More to follow throughout the week. Stay tuned! o_O

Last edited:
This is great stuff. I find this draft kind of baffling because of who we picked and who we didn't. Williams was a surprise, not because of the player, but because of the position he plays and who we already had on the roster and who we didn't.

Gilmore
Jackson
Jones
Crossen
Dawson
JMcCourty

Is a talented group of CB's who have a great combination of size, speed, and quickness. Even in these days of flag football passing, you usually only keep 5 CB's to play the position and ST's. Now we have SEVEN who are VERY likely to make the final 53 when you add Williams. Is one suddenly trade bait?

Again, I see him as a wild card player, rather than a true CB. He's a match up card that will get a LOT of play some weeks and a lot less on others. His true value will come in a few years depending on what we do with Gilmore and his cap number and how well (or not) Jackson, Crossen, and Dawson develop. Jackson's first year was actually better than MButler's. But we all know that improvement in football players isn't always linear.

I think if we break it down, the Pats play more of a "positionless" brand of secondary than a lot of teams. In other words, on most downs there are 5 guys out there covering passes, rather than a SS, FS, CB, CB, SCB. Your role is better defined less by your position than by what your coverage responsibilities are for THAT particular week.

I don't think I've ever seen a Pats roster with SEVEN CB's. Interesting times come July.

This is great stuff. I find this draft kind of baffling because of who we picked and who we didn't. Williams was a surprise, not because of the player, but because of the position he plays and who we already had on the roster and who we didn't.

Gilmore
Jackson
Jones
Crossen
Dawson
JMcCourty

Is a talented group of CB's who have a great combination of size, speed, and quickness. Even in these days of flag football passing, you usually only keep 5 CB's to play the position and ST's. Now we have SEVEN who are VERY likely to make the final 53 when you add Williams. Is one suddenly trade bait?

Again, I see him as a wild card player, rather than a true CB. He's a match up card that will get a LOT of play some weeks and a lot less on others. His true value will come in a few years depending on what we do with Gilmore and his cap number and how well (or not) Jackson, Crossen, and Dawson develop. Jackson's first year was actually better than MButler's. But we all know that improvement in football players isn't always linear.

I think if we break it down, the Pats play more of a "positionless" brand of secondary than a lot of teams. In other words, on most downs there are 5 guys out there covering passes, rather than a SS, FS, CB, CB, SCB. Your role is better defined less by your position than by what your coverage responsibilities are for THAT particular week.

I don't think I've ever seen a Pats roster with SEVEN CB's. Interesting times come July.
CROSSEN might be the odd man out.

If you took Logan Ryan and stretched him around four inches, stretched his arms and fingers, gave him better strength and explosiveness, you'd have Joejuan Williams - speed and agility is pretty similar between the two.

Easy to see why BB loved him.

Great work @reamer, thank you.

Highly unlikely.

I think he was a healthy scratch when he finally was healthy while Crossen continued to contribute. Crossen and Jackson seemed to be ahead of him on the depth chart. This training camp should sort itself out. Bb has cut loose high draft picks before, especially seeing how our previous released drafted or undrafted players have done well elsewhere.

I think he was a healthy scratch when he finally was healthy while Crossen continued to contribute. Crossen and Jackson seemed to be ahead of him on the depth chart. This training camp should sort itself out. Bb has cut loose high draft picks before, especially seeing how our previous released drafted or undrafted players have done well elsewhere.

That would certainly be disappointing, considering that they talked about watching Dawson for two years and feeling good about the player. They moved up to take him. I wasn't a huge fan of Dawson, but I sure liked him better than Cyrus Jones. He seemed like a ready made slot player who could provide steady, though not spectacular, snaps for the defense. If he turned into another Jonathan Jones I'd be ecstatic.

Part of me wonders if there are some trade moves to come before the season starts. I could see us packaging a DB + picks (we now have 14 with the Hollister trade) in order to get back a TE, DT, or even EDGE player. Perhaps we'll wait until injuries hit in training camp.

Regardless, it's a good problem to have. We suffered through some abysmal secondaries between the championship years. I'll never complain about adding corners.

The Patriots never cut top 2 round draftees after 1 year but he will be on notice during 2020 if he doesn't show something this year.

I actually think it’s dawson.
If Crossen has an absurdly great camp and Dawson barfs on his shoes and sleeps with BB Jrs wife then maybe.

The Patriots never cut top 2 round draftees after 1 year but he will be on notice during 2020 if he doesn't show something this year.
Next year? He'll be on notice or gone this year.

That would certainly be disappointing, considering that they talked about watching Dawson for two years and feeling good about the player. They moved up to take him. I wasn't a huge fan of Dawson, but I sure liked him better than Cyrus Jones. He seemed like a ready made slot player who could provide steady, though not spectacular, snaps for the defense. If he turned into another Jonathan Jones I'd be ecstatic.

Part of me wonders if there are some trade moves to come before the season starts. I could see us packaging a DB + picks (we now have 14 with the Hollister trade) in order to get back a TE, DT, or even EDGE player. Perhaps we'll wait until injuries hit in training camp.

Regardless, it's a good problem to have. We suffered through some abysmal secondaries between the championship years. I'll never complain about adding corners.

I think Dawson's going to safety, Joejuan will play all over the place and the potential trade will be Jonathan Jones (who I like a lot) if they can't get an extension done (if they even want to extend him).

Jones is here one year at 3 million. McCourty, McCourty, Chung, Jackson, Crossen, Williams, Gilmore, Harmon...Dawson, Crossen (who plays special teams) and X (if X is even needed at that point).

Next year? He'll be on notice or gone this year.
Yes he will be on notice this year and if he isn't good he will be gone in 2020. That said he could very well be very good as well we just don't know yet.

Yes he will be on notice this year and if he isn't good he will be gone in 2020. That said he could very well be very good as well we just don't know yet.
Yea I'm not down on Dawson. It would have been great if he played but oh well. He was hurt in camp, got behind and Crosson was doing well on STs. If he hadn't been Dawson would have played.

Last edited:
Thanks, @reamer.

Of course people prefer playing CROSSing games in April..

Can't wait for the regular “defence sucks“ posts in August.. ;)

Thanks, @reamer.

Of course people prefer playing CROSSing games in April..

Can't wait for the regular “defence sucks“ posts in August.. ;)

Just my $.02 on this, as of now:

1. Fair to say that DL and LB are still questions going into the season
  2. Fair to have doubts if the teams struggles at DL or LB in the exhibition season, or to start the season
  3. Much more likely to be proven ridiculous if the defensive complaints center around the secondary this summer/fall

Just my $.02 on this, as of now:

1. Fair to say that DL and LB are still questions going into the season
  2. Fair to have doubts if the teams struggles at DL or LB in the exhibition season, or to start the season
  3. Much more likely to be proven ridiculous if the defensive complaints center around the secondary this summer/fall
While I agree 100% on the DL, I'm not so sure about the LB situation. Hightower, KVN, Bentley, Rivers, Winovich, Sam, Roberts are 7 names off the top of my head for a position that rarely has more than 2 players on the field at one time. Of Course Hightower, Winovich and Rivers can do double duty at DE, but they will be LB's first.

I think we are good, but not great at LB.

@marvski2 So you like Jones, too, eh?

I'd love to see him sign a two-year extension, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing