PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 12: We Are On To Arizona - root for a win or a loss?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What to root for/hope for?

• Root and Hope for Pats to win

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Mostly want Pats to lose (better draft), but also hope for Pats to win as a fan

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Mostly want Pats to win (fandom), but don't mind Pats losing (better draft)

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • Root and Hope for Pats to lose

Votes: 11 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Next weekend the 4-6 Foxborough Patriots host the 6-4 Glendale Cardinals.

So at this point what should Pats fans be hoping for?
  • Lose out and get the earliest draft pick possible?
  • Strong finish to kick start 2021?
  • Never give up, the Patriot Way; win out and roll the dice and see what happens in the playoffs?

Still want them to do well and compete. I want to at least feel good about next year that improvements here and there can elevate us back to contention. Without having much of a shot at Trevo a few draft slots isn’t going to help much in regards to fixing our issues.

Murray scares the crap outta me though and should have a similar day as Watson. And our offense probably ain’t winning any shootouts

Murray, Hopkins, Fitz, Kenyan Drake.....pick your poison !! They have a really good team .

With the LVR loss, I'm staying delusional and rooting for a win. We still have the tiebreaker for the 3 6-4 teams ahead of us (which also makes today's loss painful).

Next weekend the 4-6 Foxborough Patriots host the 6-4 Glendale Cardinals.

So at this point what should Pats fans be hoping for?
  • Lose out and get the earliest draft pick possible?
  • Strong finish to kick start 2021?
  • Never give up, the Patriot Way; win out and roll the dice and see what happens in the playoffs?

Hard to root for your team to lose but their playoff chances are over and it’s somewhat all about the draft now....even tho like many have mentioned they are still going to be middle of round anyways.....AZ will destroy them next week so no need to “hope” they lose!

Will probably beat the Cardinals and loose against the Chargers at this rate.

I tend to agree with this. It's a very inconsistent result for this team from week to week. Adjust expectations accordingly.

I just want to see them compete. Draft position or not, a lot of the guys on this team now will be on the team for a while. I don't want to watch them give up, or take on that identity.

All I ask is exactly what I asked of the Baltimore game; just compete. Look like you belong on the field with decent competition. Highly doubt we're winning the Super Bowl this year (one can always hope until mathematically eliminated), but if we're hoping to be contenders in future years, it'd be good to see the young guys can hang with decent teams.

Agreed we do have some good players on the team and a few that may have to hang up their boots soon. I do feel that this will take more than one year to resolve and be consistent. Murray is a handful , however they are a 6 and 4 team taking defeats from the Lions,Panthers,Dolphins and Seahawks. They were all reasonably close games except the Panthers (10 points) so they are beatable. Other posters will highlight better tactics but I would assume that Murray will have to be better contained than Watson was yesterday ?

Pats win this one.

A West coast dome team traveling East should have a difficult time. Bonus trouble for bad NE weather this time of the year.

BB will take away Hopkins. The Hail Murray was incredible, but it was a hole in one. Im not sold on Murray at all.

I get wanting to win. I’m not here to argue that. Here is the state of the draft:

• There are projected four franchise caliber QBs: Lawrence, Fields, Lance & Wilson.
  • The Jets & Jags have a two game lead on the top 2 picks. In all likelihood they are getting the top 2 QB prospects.
  • With Burrow out for the year, The Bengals are likely picking 3 & will draft franchise LT Penei Sewell.
At this point, Lance & Wilson should be available at the 4th pick. The pats aren’t getting the 4th pick however it is more feasible to trade up from the 8th pick rather than the 15th pick.

A competitive 6-10 would be the most desired outcome from draft positioning & not outright tanking.

I'm rooting for competitive games and no injuries. I'm also rooting for the younger guys to step up and play well. But let's look at things anyway.

Teams with Bad records: Pats, Jets, Chargers, Broncos, Texans, Jags, Bengals, Eagles, Cowboys, Giants, Washington, 49ers, Lions, Vikings, Falcons Panthers. These 15 teams will finish with losing records most likely and besides the Jets and Jags they are within 1 loss of each other.

Key points: Denver is 4-6 an beat the Pats. Texans are 3-7 and beat the Pats. SF 4-6 beat the Pats. The key game left standing wise is the Chargers.

Teams not looking for a QB: Chargers, Eagles, Texans, Jags, Bengals, Cowboys, 49ers, Lions, Vikings, Falcons, Panthers. There is talk the Jags might move on from Minshew but I don't see it. He's played okay. The D and the weapons are the main problem.

Teams looking for a QB: Jets, Denver and Washington (99%) Giants (50%) Pats (50%) I could see the Giants giving Jones 1 more year maybe.

While order matters, in the end it's all about who will want to trade up. Any of those bottom teams can pull the trigger an jump to #2, which will probably be the Jags who would love to trade it for a king's ransom. The best thing that could happen is Washington who is only half a game back of the Eagles getting the lead in the division and winning it. That would make it hard for them to jump up. The Pats probably finish 6-10 and if so they could easily fall in the 4-8 pick range. Depends on the tie breakers. The Jets will clearly sit pat and pick Trevor. The question is how much the Pats will need to trade up to get the #2 or #3 QB (Fields and Lance). They are impressive enough that someone will.

Personally I'd be okay sitting pat and seeing what happens. My personal preference for #2 is Lance who most people have #3 behind fields. And there are a lot of teams that might let him drop as he has limited tape. I'd say hold pat and take him if he is there. Or maybe even trade down a few spots at a time if no one trades up for Lance or Fields. I really like this year of QBs. And it would not surprise me in the least if for all the hype made about Trevor one of the other guys picks in the first round out plays him.

As a side note. I don't want to not mention Zach Wilson who is rising up boards fast. Though I don't know how i feel about him yet.

Last edited:
Play to win. Period. I look at this season in terms of Bill the Coach and Bill the GM's legacy. Bill is the best coach in the history of the nfl, BUT if he has a sub .500 season without Brady it gives his naysayers some ammo. Anti Bill media shoot down the 11-5 Cassell season with "it was an easy schedule!" "they didn't even make the playoffs!". Just wait for what's to come if the Pats go 6-10 this season. Also, I do not trust Bill the GM with a high draft pick given his abject drafting failures of the last 3 or 4 seasons...

Play to win. Period. I look at this season in terms of Bill the Coach and Bill the GM's legacy. Bill is the best coach in the history of the nfl, BUT if he has a sub .500 season without Brady it gives his naysayers some ammo. Anti Bill media shoot down the 11-5 Cassell season with "it was an easy schedule!" "they didn't even make the playoffs!". Just wait for what's to come if the Pats go 6-10 this season. Also, I do not trust Bill the GM with a high draft pick given his abject drafting failures of the last 3 or 4 seasons...
If Josh was HC right now the Pats are the 2020 Jets. They'd be the 2020 Jets next year too. No doubt about it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes