PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[UPDATE: Sides not close on extension] What happens with Joe Thuney?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What to happens with Joe Thuney?

• Plays season under franchise tag, then walks

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Draft day trade

Votes: 66 55.9%
  • Long term extension prior to start of season

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other (specify in comments)

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t help but to think if we would of had this figured out earlier whether not he was part of the plans we could of signed a decent free agent or 2

Can’t help but to think if we would of had this figured out earlier whether not he was part of the plans we could of signed a decent free agent or 2

If Belichick thought that we needed to overpay in the first month of free agency, there were several ways to get the cap room. Both Gilmore and Mason's contracts could have been restructured.

I vote ‘trade on draft day’ and more specifically ‘trade on day 1 of draft’.

Why you ask?

Excellent question I must say.

Answer:
Because BB will no doubt trade out of Day 1 so a Thuney trade will give Pats followers some meat to chew on during Thursday’s evening of inevitable frustration.

Then, overnight.... Pats fans can dream about how Bill will spend his new draft capital.

Perhaps a really slow safety with leadership qualities
Maybe a gunner/emergency WR
A practice squad TE that will eventually star on another team

The possibilities are endless

I think you can count the times BB spent big on free agents during the first phase of FA on one hand. If they had their eyes on someone being value despite the crazy markup during FA they would have found a way to make it all work.

I have always considered fixing the offensive line to be job 1 for bb this offseason.

So many questions there:

1.) can cannon and Wynn stay healthy?
2.) can Andrews come back healthy?
3.) what do we have in frodholtz and cajuste?
4.) what are we doing with Cunningham and elumuner?
5.) will mason ever get above “jag” as a pass protector?

Only bb and the coaching staff have the medicals and progress reports.

as things stand right now, we replaced karras and Newhouse with frodholtz and cajuste.
If everybody is healthy and/or projects to be healthy, bb does not need to invest high draft picks in the offensive line.

it would be extremely unfair to stidham to go into this year with “hope” as the strategy for the offensive line!
One of the great things about Thuney has been his durability. We have not had to plan for a backup in the expectation that he might miss significant time or play hampered due to injury.

The other teams know BB is desperate for salary cap space. They will be lucky
to get a late second day pick fgor Thuney.

One of the great things about Thuney has been his durability. We have not had to plan for a backup in the expectation that he might miss significant time or play hampered due to injury.
His backup will be Ferentz when he is re-signed.

BB can create space if he wants to. That is not the real leverage.

The real leverage teams have is Thuney isn't agreeing to an extension w/ NE.

If there is more than 1 team that desperately wants Thuney then that helps NE

a trade before the draft

MG Cousin. This solves a CAP issue as well. I see 4 possible trades with Teams that absolutely need interior O Line help. I have listed them all for your information and amusement in not any specific order:

Jaguars:
This would involve the swap of a few players. The Jags want to move on from Fournette it has been said.
The Patriots have what is surely a game manager QB as their penciled in starter (as much as I don't like Newton and Winston, I would rather pick them up on the cheap if they would sign a one year "Teddy" deal).
With a game manager QB you need an Antowine Smith (I have mentioned this trade before) and Fournette is closest to that.
The Jags have two first-rounders.
TRADE >The Jags #9 pick plus RB Leonard Fournette
The Pats send first-round pick #23 and third Round pick #100 =860 Trade Value Points plus RB Sony Michel and G Joe Thuney (the Thuney value is 490 or a high second). Fournette also had 76 receptions last year. He seems like he and management are at odds.

Niners:
Lynch has twp picks in the first but none until round 5 #156 after that.
They need a Guard.
TRADE> The Niners trade pick #13=1150 Trade Value points
The Pats send first-round pick #23 and third Round pick #100 =860 Trade Value Points + G Joe Thuney
The difference is 290 Trade value points so a lower 2nd value for Thuney

Lions:
Matty P needs interior O Line help. He knows Thuney.
TRADE>The Lions trade picks #35 +#67=805 Trade Value Points
The Pats send three third-round picks #87,#98, #100=363 Trade Value Points + G Joe Thuney.
The difference is 442 Trade Value Points so a mid 2nd value for Thuney

Panthers:
The Panther are trying to move Curtis Samuel (56 Catches in 2019 and very, very fast) for the right deal. They just signed WRs Robbie Anderson and Pharoh Cooper. They need a Guard badly. The need to run it with McCaffrey and protect Teddy.
TRADE>The panthers send second-round pick #38 to the Pats + WR Curtis Samuel
The Pats send third-round pick #98 and G Joe Thuney.
Samuel is a young nice player with a low CAP but not at Thuney level. Samuel is on his last contract year so that is a consideration. BB can get Urban Meyer 411 on this kid.
Solves our need for more WR help.

DW Toys

Can't be crazy when it's the majority opinion.
Here is my two-day-before-the-Draft Trade which will drive people "crazy":

We Trade Thuney and our first Round pick #23 to Chicago

In return the Pats get:

The Bears second Rounders #43 and #50, along with a 2021 4th (we have 12 Draft picks this year already) and......drum roll...Mitch Trubisky to compete with Hoyer and Stidham. Hate Trubisky if you want but he was not bad in 2018 at 12-4
Completion 66.6%
Yards 3,223
TD's 24
INTs12
QB Rating 95.4 (3rd in NFL)
All this with a mediocre offensive cast around him
His $9mm is cheap as far as $ for a QB as he is still on his rookie deal. He can be off the books after this year.

PLUS........And the throw in here is bust former second Round Pick TE Adam Shaheen.

Change of scenery for both? They are both still young.

Trubisky had a good 2018 season and actually has a career 20-11 record. He is mobile. He's athletic. The Chicago fans hated him before he played his first game. He plays for a coach who wanted him to be Mahomes. Right now Trubisky is dealing with the psycological beating he took in Chucago. BB is very good at reviving careers. The kid has talent. Can Josh get it from him?

The same can be said for Shaheen. He has the right attributes for a Pats TE at 6'6" and 270 who can catch. The head-scratching thing is even as his career has been injury-prone and non=productive, it's actually sad he would be our best TE from day one. Not a big gamble here.

I think Chicago takes that pick and goes for Jordan Love....who has many of the attributes of Mahomes that Nagy will desire. Remember Nagy coached Mahomes in K.C. Love is his Mahomes.

Plus they get a solid pro bowl type interior line starter for years in Thuney.

I am not a Trubisky fan. I just see the value. He's got starter experience and better than gambling on a mid to late round 2020 QB in the Draft.

Fair trade for each Team and helps the Pats CAP.

O.K. Go ahead and torture me.
DW Toys

This could be true if there were only one or two team interested. I don't think that to be the case. especially if the patriots give teams the right to talk to Thuney's agent.

Here is my two-day-before-the-Draft Trade which will drive people "crazy":

We Trade Thuney and our first Round pick #23 to Chicago

In return the Pats get:

The Bears second Rounders #43 and #50, along with a 2021 4th (we have 12 Draft picks this year already) and......drum roll...Mitch Trubisky to compete with Hoyer and Stidham. Hate Trubisky if you want but he was not bad in 2018 at 12-4
Completion 66.6%
Yards 3,223
TD's 24
INTs12
QB Rating 95.4 (3rd in NFL)
All this with a mediocre offensive cast around him
His $9mm is cheap as far as $ for a QB as he is still on his rookie deal. He can be off the books after this year.

PLUS........And the throw in here is bust former second Round Pick TE Adam Shaheen.

Change of scenery for both? They are both still young.

Trubisky had a good 2018 season and actually has a career 20-11 record. He is mobile. He's athletic. The Chicago fans hated him before he played his first game. He plays for a coach who wanted him to be Mahomes. Right now Trubisky is dealing with the psycological beating he took in Chucago. BB is very good at reviving careers. The kid has talent. Can Josh get it from him?

The same can be said for Shaheen. He has the right attributes for a Pats TE at 6'6" and 270 who can catch. The head-scratching thing is even as his career has been injury-prone and non=productive, it's actually sad he would be our best TE from day one. Not a big gamble here.

I think Chicago takes that pick and goes for Jordan Love....who has many of the attributes of Mahomes that Nagy will desire. Remember Nagy coached Mahomes in K.C. Love is his Mahomes.

Plus they get a solid pro bowl type interior line starter for years in Thuney.

I am not a Trubisky fan. I just see the value. He's got starter experience and better than gambling on a mid to late round 2020 QB in the Draft.

Fair trade for each Team and helps the Pats CAP.

O.K. Go ahead and torture me.
DW Toys
Would rather take Love than Tru.
I would throw a 4th for Tru

How is drafting Froholdt not planning for a backup for Thuney.

Would rather take Love than Tru.
I would throw a 4th for Tru
That is what it winds up being a fourth-rounder on the FRD Present NFL Player Trade Value.

Take the points of the trade in the Draft Value Chart + the assigned value of each player and whatever the difference is aligns with the similar Draft Value chart Rounds 1-7

DW Toys

That is what it winds up being a fourth-rounder on the FRD Present NFL Player Trade Value.

Take the points of the trade in the Draft Value Chart + the assigned value of each player and whatever the difference is aligns with the similar Draft Value chart Rounds 1-7

DW Toys
Well looking at it that way it's a good trade.

Call the Redskins. They have a ton of cap space this year and next. Paying Thuney isn't a big issue for them. Getting good players is an issue for them.

How is drafting Froholdt not planning for a backup for Thuney.
He wasn't backing up Thuney from IR. Froholdt may well have been drafted with the idea of replacing Thuney in just the situation we are now in. Unfortunately, with no body of regular season work, he remains a question mark.

Why did they do this? If they wanted to extend him, shouldn't they have had an idea if that would be a possibility before they franchised him. Franchising him ate up all cap room and prevented additional UFA signings that could have helped.

If he does not get traded and stays on the Pats for 1 more year and ultimately fetches a 3rd or 4th round compensation pick was that a good use of cap space in a year which they will likely not be competitive?

Did they do it with hope that it would convince Brady to stay. That sure did not work.

If they do have to trade him, they have zero leverage with other teams, who know they have to trade him and would absorb a high cap hit...probbaly a 4th is the best you can get.

What a disastrous offseason so far, I wonder if Kraft is getting a bit anxious about what he sees going on with his 3.5 billion dollar team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes