PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[UPDATE: Sides not close on extension] What happens with Joe Thuney?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What to happens with Joe Thuney?

• Plays season under franchise tag, then walks

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Draft day trade

Votes: 66 55.9%
  • Long term extension prior to start of season

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other (specify in comments)

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedogc

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Pats projected starting oline counting nearly 40 million towards cap. Seems to top heavy. With guards counting over 23 million of that. Seems very "unbelichick". Pats cap does look much better starting 2021.

What would be everyone's acceptable trade compensation?

I figure on a trade. Crazy as it seems

RLKAG(p2)
Thuney will sign a new deal prior to the start of the season, current cap space crunch makes that a virtual lock

My preference is to keep our good players, so I am really hoping for an extension that lowers his 2020 cap number by a lot.

Next preference is a trade for immediate draft compensation. A second rounder this year would be the ask, but a third this year and something more next year could work too. There may be no takers although lots of teams need good offensive linemen.

Last choice is he plays under the franchise tag as that means we only have him one year and he likely walks yielding a 2022 3rd round comp pick.

Either
Nothing to happens
Or
Something to happens

I don’t to know
(Sorry.... I can’t to help myself)

Thuney is traded along with 23 Gilmore a Second next season for Golladay and 3.
Where they take Justin Herbert.

No one else seems to think this is just a 1 year tag, and the team probably doesn't want that outcome, but I think it could definitely happen. Every day he doesn't sign an extension makes me think that option is less likely. If the draft goes by and he isn't traded, I think he really might just walk in a year. It's up to him as much as it's up to the Patriots.

Once the tag is used, the team loses leverage, so I believe this was solely to arrange a trade and get at least a 3rd rounder now vs. a year from now.

Thuney's guaranteed almost $15m ($14.8) for this year. BB won't pay a Guard that rate for even 1 year, the max is probably $10-12m (say $33m/3 years). Thuney won't agree to that, as it would mean he's only making $9m/yr for years 2 and 3. So it's unsolvable now, the only path for Joe staying was for him to agree to that type of deal before the tag was applied.

I voted on the extension to solidify the interior OL for at least the next season. With Stidham in his first season as a starter, I think they’ll lean on the ground game a hell of a lot more, as they did later in 2018 and in 2001. Having Thuney and a healthy Mason in the line-up would go a long way toward building that power ground game to take some of the heat off of Stidham.

I'm still predicting a trade to the Vikings. They're a win-now team that really struggled at guard last season, especially in terms of pass blocking. It's a little complicated though, because they would need to trade away Harris first to have enough cap room to bring in Thuney. Vikings fans were getting way too excited about the idea of trading Harris for Thuney straight up, but it doesn't make sense for the Patriots to bring in another big money safety like that.

Stidham gives them a discount at QB for a few years, so its possible they heavily invest in their O-Line to help his development

They could also trade him, or tag him again next year and trade him.. He's no Logan Mankins, but he's damn good and reliable so it would suck to lose him

Extension. BB went out of his way to praise Thuney after the tag... I think they like him a lot and wanted to give everyone time.

I'm guessing if he's traded it will be after the draft.

Pats have to see what guys like Froholdt are capable of and also the status of veterans who could have their contract restructured as to determine whether they keep Thuney.

KC has kicked the tires on Thuney according to a buddy of mine.

a trade before the draft

No reason to trade him now. I voted he plays under the tag.

No reason to trade him now. I voted he plays under the tag.

Wow, someone who thinks that $15M of cap reason sin't useful.

Sure, we might choose to pay an OG $15M, but there are 15 million reasons to trade Thuney.

Wow, someone who thinks that $15M of cap reason sin't useful.

Sure, we might choose to pay an OG $15M, but there are 15 million reasons to trade Thuney.
Isn't there a cap penalty for trading him at this point?

Plus, you're weakening an already weak line as they had a pretty awful year last year.

Isn't there a cap penalty for trading him at this point?

Plus, you're weakening an already weak line as they had a pretty awful year last year.

You said that there isn't reason for trading him now. I disagreed, suggesting that freeing up $15M was a reason to trade Thuney now.

I don't understand your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing