PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[UPDATE: Sides not close on extension] What happens with Joe Thuney?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What to happens with Joe Thuney?

• Plays season under franchise tag, then walks

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Draft day trade

Votes: 66 55.9%
  • Long term extension prior to start of season

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other (specify in comments)

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else noticed that Belichick’s students aren’t following in Bill’s cheap a— ways? The Pats can’t pay a guard $15 million a year, but The Lions, Dolphins and Bucs all run by people who worked for Belichick apparently have no such reservations. I just find it interesting.

And the Lions, Bucs & Fins have been so successful with that approach. They are clearly overpaying to try to bring in the Pats culture. A lot of these guys will be cut and back on the market within a few years of signing the deal. For example, the Lions completely overpaid for Flowers last year and will likely look to cut him after this season, unless he has a monster year.

There is also an issue today with Thunny being able to get a medical to proceed? If the trade is consumated for 2020 draft pick how can the medical be completed?

Schefter said yesterday that a season with no fans in the stands could drop the 2021 cap by $70-80 million, which would put it in the $125 million range. That’s the extreme case, but it’s gotta be terrifying to think about for some GMs. The Eagles already have $240 million on the books for 2021, for example.

The Patriots currently have the third lowest 2021 cap spending, at about $105 million.

All it takes is one team to roll the dice as well as a creative contract
Exactly and the NEP can be creative as well. They can make the deal for a 2021 1st rounder if he is on the new team's roster on X date in 2021 or make the pick a 2nd/3rd rounder if he isn't.

Schefter said yesterday that a season with no fans in the stands could drop the 2021 cap by $70-80 million, which would put it in the $125 million range. That’s the extreme case, but it’s gotta be terrifying to think about for some GMs. The Eagles already have $240 million on the books for 2021, for example.

The Patriots currently have the third lowest 2021 cap spending, at about $105 million.

In the end what will happen is that teams will be allowed to borrow against future cap so I guess there won't be any crazy firesales but some teams would be really screwed if the cap dropped that much no matter how they can borrow.

Has anyone else noticed that Belichick’s students aren’t following in Bill’s cheap a— ways? The Pats can’t pay a guard $15 million a year, but The Lions, Dolphins and Bucs all run by people who worked for Belichick apparently have no such reservations. I just find it interesting.
BB is coach and GM. Matty P and Brian F have GMs making the decisions.

I disagree with that synopsis Cousin.

If the Pats can squeeze some CAP from other areas or cut some aging players with way too high CAP numbers....and keep Thuney for the year. If he goes in FA in 2021 his number could bring a 3rd round comp pick. He is a younger player. He has been very durable.He has played above his Draft Round value. Why would you take less than a mid-round three to mitigate losing him?

A trade up "chip" is actually a helluva good idea. There are Teams that can use him that do NOT have first-rounders but some decent second-rounders.

Example The Steelers . They have the #49 pick in Round two and have just lost long-time stalwart Guard Ramon Foster to retirement..............Or WR JuJu Smith-Schuster is on his last contract year ( as is Thuney) . Does he excite any posters?

The Rams have nada for solid interior O line and a zillion-dollar QB in Goff. They have picks #52 and #57 in the second with"0" first-rounder. Would Thuney and our #23 first Rounder (plus maybe a late fourth we just got) suffice for the #52 and #57 and TE Tyler Higbee, an ascending 6'6" 260lb TE be a fair trade for both Teams? I already mentioned this. The Draft value points work.

I think a good deal that I mentioned also drew torches and pitchforks, but none-the-less a pretty interesting scenario. The Bears have two seconds (#43 and #50), no first-Rounder and their next pick is #163 in the fifth round. What a crap Draft situation for them..........but....they need a solid interior O Line piece. When the lost Long to retirement it has not been repaired. The need picks.

Now the interesting part so please follow along before you blast me. IMO a scenario would be to send Thuney and our pick #23 in the first and our #100 Comp pick in the third to the Bears for 2nd Round picks #43 and #50 and QB Mitch Trubisky.............and I am ducking as we speak. I have mentioned this Trade but did not go into great depth as to why.

Bears:
>The Fans hated Trubisky before he played his first game.
>The Fan consensus was that Pace used too much Draft capital to move up to get him.
>To move up one spot in the 2017 Draft Pace blinked. He sent the Bears #3 pick, #67 and #111, plus a third-rounder in 2018 to the Niners.
>The Bears can get a first-rounder with this deal

Trusisky's 2018 was pretty darn good. He was 12-4 as their starter and had the 3rd best QBR rating in the League. He is young (26) and has a lifetime NFL record of 20-11. The keyword here is his NFL record (NFL experience) . He had a bad year in 2019. Yes he did this and was complicit but had help. He had a O Line that was devastated with injuries no TE and WR that were on par with what we had last year....not too much. Nagy was on the Chiefs when they went and got Mahomes. He is a huge Fan of that kid. Not so of Trubisky. He tried to make Trubisky into Mahomes. Trubisky is athletic but not the League wunderkind.

That being said, the Bears went out and got Foles. He has worked with Nagy before and other Bears personnel. What Nagy wants in the next Mahomes. Jordon Love might be close if you squint and use imagination. #23 might get Love. Now what to do with the QB room?

You just hit the till for Foles. What if he picked Love to sit behind Foles and tries to be Dr. Frankenstein with Love? What does he do to get into the first and move Trubisky? Trubisky is NOT his problem. He was not the coach then.

I believe Trubisky can be fixed.
>He is better than any QB we are going to attempt to Draft after perhaps the first three this year.
>He is still on his rookie contract. He doesn't work out he is out of here in 2021.
> He has NFL Experience and in my humble opinion, if we take him to compete, he wins the job.
> He is NOT under the ghost of Mahomes that Nagy constructed,
> He has to be a better choice than a back up QB and one who has thrown 4 professional passes.
> He might be more mobile than both Stidma or Hoyer.
> He has warts. Can Josh fix them.

The Pats:
>BB brings in a reclamation project as he is known to do.
>Trubisky might have fewer flaws to fix than Winston and healthier than Newton.
>Trubisky actually is a better fit here.
>The Pats gain two picks in the sweet zone of this Draft.
>The save CAP from moving Thuney.
>They get a better deal than letting him go and taking a Comp pick.
> Might be cheaper than Winston or Newton.

I rest my case.

DW Toys

I'm not much of a Trubisky fan but I'd like to see what the Pats could do with him. He has some potential.

As great as Thuney is, and as much as he's worth the money, it's hard to justify paying big bucks to both him and Shaq. I don't think his next contract will be here, which means a trade today seems very likely.

As great as Thuney is, and as much as he's worth the money, it's hard to justify paying big bucks to both him and Shaq. I don't think his next contract will be here, which means a trade today seems very likely.

Unlike yourself, I don't think it's tough to justify paying big money to Thuney ("Well, they aren't paying much to their tackles right now, so they can afford it"). I just don't know that BB is going to sacrifice the cap space in a season where a rebuild is happening.

So, in the end, we probably end up in pretty much the same place, having come from different directions.

BB is coach and GM. Matty P and Brian F have GMs making the decisions.
Dolphins’ late season wins are causing current angst within the organization. So sad

I wouldn't count on the Dolphins. They strung out the Cardinals last year for Rosen. Kept trading back and then offered them a later pick when they were on the clock because they knew Arizona was desperate to dump him after they picked Kyler Murray.

We can restructure Gilmore or Mason to make any space we need. If we aren't offered enough we can keep the player in 2020 and get a comp pick in 2022 instead. At least we'd have a better o-line that way.

Bump.

Is he still a Patriot after tonight? I think its 60/40 no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case