PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[UPDATE: Sides not close on extension] What happens with Joe Thuney?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What to happens with Joe Thuney?

• Plays season under franchise tag, then walks

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Draft day trade

Votes: 66 55.9%
  • Long term extension prior to start of season

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other (specify in comments)

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just seeing a few reports that the dolphins could be interested in Thuney, however these maybe old

There are a ton of fresh stories on Thuney to the Dolphins..... I would take 2nd round pick #39 overall for Thuney to free up some money.

It doesn’t look like we are going to come to a contract agreement with Thuney, so it is time to move him.

Pats should trade Thuney by tomorrow. This team has way too many holes to fill and not enough money to fill it.

There are a ton of fresh stories on Thuney to the Dolphins..... I would take 2nd round pick #39 overall for Thuney to free up some money.

It doesn’t look like we are going to come to a contract agreement with Thuney, so it is time to move him.
Phins trying to trade up to #3 for wirfs. They want to leap frog the giants who want wirfs. If they can't get wirfs, thuney is the back up plan. 2nd and 4th to pats for thuney if phins can't get #3.

Kind of odd that thuney was a second team all pro last season, but never a pro bowler!
I put way more stock into the All-Pro nod, albeit second team. The pro bowl is a popularity contest.

Last edited:
After all the smoke & noise, I wouldn’t be surprised if Thuney is still a Patriot after the draft. Also wouldn’t be at all surprised if we trade down in the first to accumulate more 2nd-3rd rd picks. As a fan, that’s definitely not what I want for entertainment value. However, as a fan, I guess winning ball games is more important than entertainment during the draft. Just preparing myself emotionally. :oops:

Phins trying to trade up to #3 for wirfs. They want to leap frog the giants who want wirfs. If they can't get wirfs, thuney is the back up plan. 2nd and 4th to pats for thuney if phins can't get #3.

Is this a prediction?

Nightmare offseason from hell. Paying the price for 6 super bowl titles, bad recent drafts and Brady's dead cap. Unusually passive front office management.
I think franchising Thuney was a big mistake.
Should have realized that he would not accept an affordable extension and just realized that they would get a 3rd or 4th round compensation pick.

instead 2 months of being hamstrung regarding any meaningful UFA moves.

As a 52 year Pats fan who has lived through many nights arise seasons, I can accept this and say Thank you Bill and Tom for the 6 super bowl rings.

In the 60,s, 70's, 80's was just happy when Pats were not the laughing stock of the league.
Though I'm older than you, I've only been a fan since 1975. Some really tough times from 1975-2000, and I wouldn't complain about possible bad seasons to come, since I've had such great enjoyment from the last 20 years.

That being said, when is the last time Belichick has won a trade where he's trading a current player for picks ? I don't see the Pats getting anything more than a 3rd round pick for Thuney. Just from past history, I said yesterday, BEFORE Gronk was traded, that best case scenario we get a 4th round pick for him. Now am I a long lost relative of Nostradamus ? No, I just have seen Belichick's trade history for 20 years. Some people were thinking we'd get OJ Howard or a 2nd round pick, but knowing Belichick's history, I knew it would be overwhelming, just like any Thuney trade (if it happens tomorrow).

BB flying by the seat of his pants? Are you knew to the Patriots?
Based on BB's history, it's obvious that he doesn't have a plan. 6 SB's, 13 AFC Championship games and 17 Divisional Titles was solely the work of TB, no one else. Just ask Rodney (and to clarify, this has a large dose of sarcasm)

Miami has significant needs at both left tackle and guard. It seems possible that they can move up to get the tackle they want and still have an interest in Thuney. I have to imagine that they would be more likely to move pick 56 or 70 for Thuney rather than pick 39, but that’s me just guessing.

Maybe. I don't know... working out a trade with the Patriots AND working out one of the richest deals ever given to a guard might be a tough ask in the next 24-36 hours with everything else teams are doing to get ready for the draft.
I suppose it would be if there have been no discussion so far. Why would you believe that this is the case?

Thuney is a great player, no doubt. But the Pats have moved on from better players over the years in order to to stay cap competitive. Trading Joe would instantly move the Pats from 1 MM under the cap to over 15MM. Enough to pay for t he draft and add some help during the next wave of FA.

A lot of what the OL will be, IMHO, will depend on how well David Andrews comes back from his lung clots. If he is back 100% then the Pats have one of the better OC's and filling Thuney's slot will be a lot easier than without him. Frodholt and Elumenaur are 2 possibilities, but additions from the draft, FA or trade are other possibilities.

In the end, there will be a lot of new players still to come here over the next few months. about a dozen or so will arrive next week with more to come over the next 3 months.

BTW- if the Dolphins offered me the 39th pick for Thuney, I'd do it in a nano second. Joe Thuney was an all pro last season. But name me a OG the Pats had during a superbowl winning season that was an all Pro. Mankins was the best of the lot, I think, but he never got a ring. In fact it wasn't until the Pats traded him, did they end their "drought" in 2014. Though that was more of a coincidence than a factor. Logan had 2 very solid years with the Bucs before retiring back to the ranch.

BOTTOM LINE - You canbot keep everyone in the cap era. And there are some years where you can't seem to keep ANYONE. This is one of those years. Let's bite the bullet and get our 2nd round pick and move on.

I am all for trading Thuney....but not to the freaking Dolphins...it's already bad enough that they have Flores, KVN, Roberts, and Karras.....for Miami...I ask for a first round pick...the same I would for the Jets/Bills. Anyone else, a 2 would be awesome...even a late 2nd...I like about 50 guys in this draft...and would love to double dip in that talent pool.

Thuney is a great player, no doubt. But the Pats have moved on from better players over the years in order to to stay cap competitive. Trading Joe would instantly move the Pats from 1 MM under the cap to over 15MM. Enough to pay for t he draft and add some help during the next wave of FA.

A lot of what the OL will be, IMHO, will depend on how well David Andrews comes back from his lung clots. If he is back 100% then the Pats have one of the better OC's and filling Thuney's slot will be a lot easier than without him. Frodholt and Elumenaur are 2 possibilities, but additions from the draft, FA or trade are other possibilities.

In the end, there will be a lot of new players still to come here over the next few months. about a dozen or so will arrive next week with more to come over the next 3 months.

BTW- if the Dolphins offered me the 39th pick for Thuney, I'd do it in a nano second. Joe Thuney was an all pro last season. But name me a OG the Pats had during a superbowl winning season that was an all Pro. Mankins was the best of the lot, I think, but he never got a ring. In fact it wasn't until the Pats traded him, did they end their "drought" in 2014. Though that was more of a coincidence than a factor. Logan had 2 very solid years with the Bucs before retiring back to the ranch.

BOTTOM LINE - You canbot keep everyone in the cap era. And there are some years where you can't seem to keep ANYONE. This is one of those years. Let's bite the bullet and get our 2nd round pick and move on.
DITTO x 10
In Thuney’s agent’s eyes now, his client’s base price is $15 mill per year over the long term.
Bill won’t pay tackles at this level.... so hard to believe Bill will go even one year at this price let alone 4 or 5.
Trade now
Get solid compensation
Then use their excess draft capital to go after multiple foundation pieces via trade ups

Easy peasy

trade him to Tampa...not Miami

Like your thoughts and agree except that I'd be pleasantly shocked if we got the 39th pick for Thuney. I don't expect anything near that great of a haul. Teams know that BB is up against the cap and since no extension is the word, he has to unload Thuney. Extensions to others will only open up enough to sign the draft class and pay for vets signed to fill inevitable injury voids.

OK we could do stuff like cut Cannon and save $ but eventually somebody has to fill those OL voids.

Wouldn't restructuring his contract be the wiser thing to do if it can be done? He's our best lineman, why create another need?

Pats should trade Thuney by tomorrow. This team has way too many holes to fill and not enough money to fill it.

Wouldn't restructuring his contract be the wiser thing to do if it can be done? He's our best lineman, why create another need?
There is no contract to restructure. It's basically a one year 14 million dollar deal now. Any contract is not really a restructuring. It's an entirely new contract. the Pats gave a big contract to Mason and it's hard to tie up both guards to really big cap numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back