PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[UPDATE: Sides not close on extension] What happens with Joe Thuney?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What to happens with Joe Thuney?

• Plays season under franchise tag, then walks

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Draft day trade

Votes: 66 55.9%
  • Long term extension prior to start of season

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other (specify in comments)

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they do anything until they find out what the season is going to look like. Too many variables to be making big decisions now.

I don't think they do anything until they find out what the season is going to look like. Too many variables to be making big decisions now.
While you are right, the draft is next week... so they might need to make a call.

You said that there isn't reason for trading him now. I disagreed, suggesting that freeing up $15M was a reason to trade Thuney now.

I don't understand your response.
I thought I made it pretty clear. They franchised him and could take a cap hit for trading him and their line is weak.

There’s nobody out there at this point that would be better value than keeping Thuney.

Ray Lewis killed a guy. I did not see it listed in the poll.

Having Thuney and a healthy Mason in the line-up would go a long way toward building that power ground game to take some of the heat off of Stidham.

Right - a strong O-line is the first ingredient of a rebuild, not a late-cycle luxury. Thuney is 27 and Guards peak from 26->29 (source). A one-year deal makes no sense - either he's part of the multi-year rebuild process or he's traded for someone who will be.

BB's franchise tag history:
2002 Adam Vinatieri -> Extension
2003 Tebucky Jones -> Traded
2005 Adam Vinatieri -> One year
2007 Asante Samuel -> One year
2009 Matt Cassel -> Traded
2010 Vince Wilfork -> Extension
2011 Logan Mankins -> Extension
2012 Wes Welker -> One year
2015 Gostkowski -> Extension *corrected - thanks

Last edited:
I thought I made it pretty clear. They franchised him and could take a cap hit for trading him and their line is weak.

There’s nobody out there at this point that would be better value than keeping Thuney.

There's no cap hit for trading him before the season starts; his cap hit is currently all guaranteed salary for 2020. There is no signing bonus.

Right - a strong O-line is the first ingredient of a rebuild, not a late-cycle luxury. Thuney is 27 and Guards peak from 26->29 (source). A one-year deal makes no sense - either he's part of the multi-year rebuild process or he's traded for someone who will be.

BB's franchise tag history:
2002 Adam Vinatieri -> Extension
2003 Tebucky Jones -> Traded
2005 Adam Vinatieri -> One year
2007 Asante Samuel -> One year
2009 Matt Cassel -> Traded
2010 Vince Wilfork -> Extension
2011 Logan Mankins -> Extension
2012 Wes Welker -> One year

2015 Gostkowski --> Extension

Are we sure there are trade partner candidates out there? I guess I don't see it as likely that there are many teams looking to trade a 3rd or better for Thuney on a 1 year 15M deal + the opportunity to extend him.

Wonder if Thuney's been given a green light to negotiate an extension elsewhere and it just hasn't been reported out?

Are we sure there are trade partner candidates out there? I guess I don't see it as likely that there are many teams looking to trade a 3rd or better for Thuney on a 1 year 15M deal + the opportunity to extend him.

Wonder if Thuney's been given a green light to negotiate an extension elsewhere and it just hasn't been reported out?

It could work the other way around. A team could offer a 3rd if Thuney agrees to a new contract with them, and then the patriots give the team permission to talk to Thuney.

Last edited:
Keep and sign him, if the money under the cap is available. Right now, the online cap seems heavy, but balance that with the low cost of the QBs, then it's not so bad... Let's face it, Stidham will need all the help he can get over the next few seasons and that starts with good protection.

Are we sure there are trade partner candidates out there?

Are there teams who would like to negotiate a long term contract with Thuney, and would be willing to give the patriots a draft pick if they agree? Of course, there are such teams.

Are there teams willing to trade for Thuney in the hopes that they can extend his contract at a future time? Maybe, maybe not. For some, $15M of 2020 cap money doesn't mean much. I would expect a 4th under these circumstances. Then, it would be simple proposition, are we willing to pay Thuney $15M for one year of service. Even if we were to try to extend later, the opening negotiation would include $15M for 2020.

If we have to trade a guard to free up cap space, why not Mason?

If we have to trade a guard to free up cap space, why not Mason?
There's no savings there. Mason's dead money plus his replacement in the top 51 is a higher cap hit than Mason remaining on the roster.

I know it’s « Lying Season » but with today’s reports that Thuney & NE are far apart - coupled with the cap situation - I am becoming increasingly concerned that he is getting traded Friday.

Was hopeful they’d get a long term deal in place, but that might not be in the cards.

I know it’s « Lying Season » but with today’s reports that Thuney & NE are far apart - coupled with the cap situation - I am becoming increasingly concerned that he is getting traded Friday.

Was hopeful they’d get a long term deal in place, but that might not be in the cards.
Traded for a second or third or to move up for a player they love in the first like Say 23 Thuney and Edelman for 3 and then Detroit gets a second next year.
But that’s only if they absolutely love Herbert or Tua.
If you only like them slightly better than Stidham then you trade him for picks to strengthen this weak roster.
We are very weak at receiver tight end linebacker and We need a kicker.

Looks like he’s getting traded next week.

Look for them to take a O-lineman with their 1st pick or 2nd pick.

Thuney for Goddart?
Eagles were said to have strong interest in him that trade could make sense.

Doesn't he have to sign his tender? Or did he already? I can't recall.

Thuney for Goddart?
Eagles were said to have strong interest in him that trade could make sense.

Eagles need o-line help in the baddest possible way

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe