PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS TRAINING CAMP Training Camp Day 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Hoyer is on the field playing from the get-go, Id be extremely disappointed lol

But, best man on the job....

Wow that's high praise. I've seen a lot of positive comments about Taylor, I'm starting to feel pretty confident he is gonna make the team surprisingly enough. Even without Michel to start I am feeling pretty optimistic about the RBs with the comments about Harris as well. Burkhead is reliable on a snap count, and who knows what Miller will bring once he gets comfortable. Plus White of course. Add in the threat of the run from Cam himself assuming he's starting and the opposing defenses could have a tough time.

Wow that's high praise. I've seen a lot of positive comments about Taylor, I'm starting to feel pretty confident he is gonna make the team surprisingly enough. Even without Michel to start I am feeling pretty optimistic about the RBs with the comments about Harris as well. Burkhead is reliable on a snap count, and who knows what Miller will bring once he gets comfortable. Plus White of course. Add in the threat of the run from Cam himself assuming he's starting and the opposing defenses could have a tough time.
Yea I still have a soft spot for Rex. Think he still has pretty decent burst off his cuts. Pretty sharp, crisp runner. Would love to see our RB's involved early in the passing game.

Surprised to see JJ Taylor getting praise from Fears. Based on reports, Taylor is having trouble with fumbles and drops. I do hope he makes it, though. Seems like a more explosive player in comparison to the current RBs on the squad.

There's the strategic use of the poop emoji you're overlooking.

If that emoji was strategically placed then I misread it and assumed you were applying it to Harry.

Yea I'd like a little more from him considering he's a former player/Pat who works for the athletic.

It's embarrassing if you really play it out. You're not playing Hoyer week 1 bc he's been a Patriot the longest and performs best on pseudo pats playbook test.

He'd already have a job and wouldn't be fighting for one if that were the case. He has a very specific & arguably special role here but its NOT playing QB.

What exactly is embarrassing about pointing out that Hoyer had a path to be the starter ?

It is not only Chatham talking about it but essentially every beat guy. What it boils down to is that Hoyer is the high floor, low ceiling choice that knows exactly what McDaniels wants and that experience has value in itself.

I get that he is a very uninspiring choice but in a scenario where Stidham would consistently **** over himself -- like he did in the last 2 days -- and Cam had shown bigger question marks in terms of health (or never been available to sign for that money in the first place) Hoyer would have been a solid bet to start.

Fortunately Cam seems to be doing well so far in health and knowledge of the offense, so at this point in time that path seems to be shut.

Saying he wasn't signed to be an option to play QB here is essentially implying BB / Caserio lied to Hoyer's camp in March.

To quote Rapaport:

“Agent Joe Linta, who I talked to after the deal happened, said Hoyer could have been offered $5 (million) or $6 million from another team, but he wanted to be in New England because they told him he would have the chance to compete for the starting job,”

(via Report: Brian Hoyer took less money from Patriots for chance to start)

Sometimes you are choosing weird hills to die on man.

If Miller is not back on the field some time next week it seems like Taylor making the initial team as depth becomes realistic. At some point the prep work for week 1 will ramp up and you can't just keep working with projections.

But that is still a couple of days of camp away.

QB stats through five practices (source is Howe):

Cam Newton:
  • Completions in team drills (11-on-11s, 7-on-7s): 37 of 56 (66.1 percent), 2 interceptions
  • Average spot in quarterback rotation: 1.8
  • Times leading off a quarterback rotation: 12 of 25
Jarrett Stidham:
  • Completions in team drills (11-on-11s, 7-on-7s): 36 of 50 (72 percent), 7 interceptions
  • Average spot in quarterback rotation: 2.5
  • Times leading off a quarterback rotation: 7 of 25
Brian Hoyer:
  • Completions in team drills (11-on-11s, 7-on-7s): 39 of 61 (63.9 percent), 1 interception
  • Average spot in quarterback rotation: 2.3
  • Times leading off a quarterback rotation: 6 of 25
Reference Point: Tom Brady in training camp 2016-19 averaged 69.1% and three INTs

The actual reports on JJ say he struggles significantly in pass protection, receiving and ball protection - so 3 most important RB areas.

The job of Frears in front of the media when asked about specific player is to say they are happy with what they see from him, working hard, room for improvement etc. Like all coaches do. Throwing a Dion comp to make everyone happy ;)

What exactly is embarrassing about pointing out that Hoyer had a path to be the starter ?

It is not only Chatham talking about it but essentially every beat guy. What it boils down to is that Hoyer is the high floor, low ceiling choice that knows exactly what McDaniels wants and that experience has value in itself.

I get that he is a very uninspiring choice but in a scenario where Stidham would consistently **** over himself -- like he did in the last 2 days -- and Cam had shown bigger question marks in terms of health (or never been available to sign for that money in the first place) Hoyer would have been a solid bet to start.

Fortunately Cam seems to be doing well so far in health and knowledge of the offense, so at this point in time that path seems to be shut.

Saying he wasn't signed to be an option to play QB here is essentially implying BB / Caserio lied to Hoyer's camp in March.

To quote Rapaport:

Actually i agree with pretty much everything BGC said there.
& i dont understand why anyone would read anything into what anyone says publicly about reasons for signing.

Chatham's tweet was incredibly lame there, he is often full of fluff since he joined bigger outfits. A pity.

Hoyer is more of a QB assistant and emergency for some time now..
Of course in corona year emergency can come quickly..

The actual reports on JJ say he struggles significantly in pass protection, receiving and ball protection - so 3 most important RB areas.

The job of Frears in front of the media when asked about specific player is to say they are happy with what they see from him, working hard, room for improvement etc. Like all coaches do. Throwing a Dion comp to make everyone happy ;)
So your saying Fears is a fv*king liar. Curious since by all accounts he's one of the most forthcoming coaches on the team.

Actually i agree with pretty much everything BGC said there.
& i dont understand why anyone would read anything into what anyone says publicly about reasons for signing.

Chatham's tweet was incredibly lame there, he is often full of fluff since he joined bigger outfits. A pity.

Hoyer is more of a QB assistant and emergency for some time now..
Of course in corona year emergency can come quickly..

I didn't even read Chatham's tweet. I heard/read Howe, Perry, Curran, Daniels, Kyed and Dave Brown say more or less the same thing about Hoyer since signing in March. Some of them repeated all of this rather recently (i.e. last week in the Quick Slants podcast): It is pretty clear what Hoyer has been signed for. To be the cheap, uninspiring high floor, low ceiling QB that can run the offense in case Stidham doesn't work out.

To suggest he wasn't signed to ever play given the QB situation in March is silly.

When months later they were able to sign Newton for peanuts the calculus obviously changed in terms of his chances to start. Hoyer and Stidham were both now in a situation where neither of them had a good chance to start unless Newton would have health related issues (or was total toast). But signing Newton in that way wasn't the endgame they had in sight in March.

And even if you think that all those beat guys with their relationships to agents and Pats personnel are wrong then ask yourself why the number of reps between all three QBs stayed the same if Hoyer isn't part of a competition (no matter how small his odds are).

Wouldn't it make more sense to give Newton and Stidham more reps in that scenario ? You'd think one of the two would be QB2 and needed the reps more than the guy who only is there to run the scout team and give guidance, right ?

I'd love to understand where this hate and cognitive bias against Hoyer is coming from. He is clearly not starter quality but he is also better than many of the career backups, otherwise he wouldn't have stayed in the league for 11 years getting multi million dollar deals from multiple teams.

It seems to me that because he consistently got chances in the spotlight -- and thus his inconsistency were more on display -- people rate him lower than those who never even get any shot to play. Which in itself is just a cognitive bias right on display.

Last edited:
I didn't even read Chatham's tweet. I heard/read Howe, Perry, Curran, Daniels, Kyed and Dave Brown

Anyone know the back story to what happened to Dave Brown's Twitter account? He was an interesting patriots follow, looks like he either deleted his account or was suspended.

Last edited:
Anyone know the back story to what happened to Dave Brown's Twitter account? He was an interesting patriots follow, looks like he either deleted his account or was suspended.

Didn't realize until you wrote. Seems like there is some Twitter drama surrounding him happening including deleted accounts and tweets:

His co-host on the EntitledTown podcast was yesterday still operating business as usual when someone asked when a new episode would drop.

I certainly hope he just left the cesspool that is Twitter and we still get his columns and podcasts. His article were among the best written pieces in the tar pit that is Boston Sports media.

As far as beat writers and their theories go, I remember seeing several guys who were absolutely sure Belichick would never sign Cam because he didn’t fit “The Patriots Way™️”.

As far as beat writers and their theories go, I remember seeing several guys who were absolutely sure Belichick would never sign Cam because he didn’t fit “The Patriots Way™️”.

Like ? I am sure many of them said that it is unlikely the Pats bring him in because of financial aspects but using that silly and lazy "Patriot Way" label ?

That sounds like a job for bozos like Volin or Felger. Hell I doubt that even the clueless clown that is Bedard said that.

The Patriots brought in Alfred Haynesworth.

To quote Rapaport:

It's embarrassing bc once we signed Cam any respectable, objective football mind knew Cam was starting if he's right. The idea that Hoyer could beat out Cam is absolutely comical.

You said ...
"Sometimes you are choosing weird hills to die on man"

What hill exactly am I fighting & dying on? That Cam would easily beat out Stiddy & Hoyer? That's a weird stance/hill, c'mon?

If Cam is/gets hurt then he might be next in line but that would emergency bu and he'd have to beat out Stiddy. Something he already failed to do.

You also brought up Hoyer's value and all due respect I don't think you know what that means. His value isn't on the field. It's in the meeting rooms. Talking & practicing side by side with Cam/Stiddy. Letting them know what's expected. And on and on ...

Bringing up Hoyer's value in terms of on the field sounds foolish. When has he shown to have actual value as a starter?
Better yet where's his value as a starter in this league rn??

Hoyer would leave us incredibly one dimensional on the field & isn't close to starter level in this league. Never has been. He was released last year, needed a retirement from Luck to stick with Indy & came back to us when we only had a 4th round pick at the position. It's more than obvious what his role is even if some are delusional about it. The guy needs an almost perfect situation just to stick on as a bu.

As for the "beat" guys. Well we've been through this before. You clearly hold these guys in higher regard than me. Very few are useful, provide decent insight & are generally ok but again they're few & far between.

Howe & Kyed are pretty good but nothing special. Good beat guys but again nothing special. Dave Brown is fun/funny for a minute. The guy routinely gets bodied on Twitter and sounds like he hasn't upgraded any knowledge since the 80's.
I remember having an exchange with him. He tried telling me you can find any position anywhere in the draft when he was defending Sony/Round one. Yea he's that guy that believes you can find a QB anywhere bc one 2-4 outliers. Again he just doesn't seem quick or interested in keeping up with what's going on. Instead of an actual discussion he'll reply with "Weep" , "Cry" to people trying to interact with him. I honestly don't or haven't followed him. Again just not interesting to me.

Again you seem to really like being in step with the beat guys. I get it, they're with the team. Have access to **** others don't but even with that access none are really guys you have listen to.

Curran said back in April ... "Cam Newton isn't in the Patriots plans. Wasn't before the draft. Isn't going to be after the draft. Have I checked to make sure? Yes I have."

I'm not saying they suck. Just that there's nothing special about these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft