PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade a 2nd For Jimmy Now; This is Not a Long Term Commitment

Sudfeld is a jag brought in to compete for the 3rd spot on the depth chart. I’d assume only the QB they take at 3rd overall is secure. Entire situation is fluid otherwise. Could mean they want Rosen and Sudfeld to battle for that last spot. Could mean they’re getting rid of Garoppolo and see Rosen as the bridge or the immediate backup. Could mean a number of things. If they went and traded for a guy like Bridgewater or signed Alex Smith off the street, either of which would be an obvious replacement for Garoppolo in the veteran/bridge role, then I could see looking deeper into it. But I’m not sure the Sudfeld signing means anything more than a camp body at this juncture.
I want to correct myself on something here. Sudfeld’s spot on the roster might be more secure than I thought:

It might be the two Joshes (Rosen and Johnson) that need to be worried.

Personally, I'd like to see them trade for Jimmy and also draft Kellen Mond and let him sit for a couple of years at least. See where you're at then - if Jimmy's injuries are still an issue, you can move on from him. If he stops getting hurt as much and plays up to his potential, he's your guy for another 5+ years after that.

You had me until “let him sit for a couple of years at least”.

You propose that the Pats draft Mond, an experienced 4 year college starter at a big time program, then sign him to a 4 year contract (I assume that you wouldn’t draft him in rd 1) and then you want him to sit for 2-3 years? That makes no sense. The window for taking advantage of a starting QB on a rookie contract is short. If they take Mond in the 2nd, the hope should be that he will be ready to start in 2022.

You had me until “let him sit for a couple of years at least”.

You propose that the Pats draft Mond, an experienced 4 year college starter at a big time program, then sign him to a 4 year contract (I assume that you wouldn’t draft him in rd 1) and then you want him to sit for 2-3 years? That makes no sense. The window for taking advantage of a starting QB on a rookie contract is short. If they take Mond in the 2nd, the hope should be that he will be ready to start in 2022.
When I say a couple I mean 1-2, 2 being the max. It'd be dependent on which guy was the better QB.

When do you want the Patriots to be competitive again....,2025? SF is not just releasing Garappolo this season. They’ve postured way too much to ever be able to spin away just releasing him to their fan base.
When they realize the market just isn't there for Jimmy, they'll move off their first round asking price or cut him outright.

Also the draft is in a couple weeks, hold your water.

When they realize the market just isn't there for Jimmy, they'll move off their first round asking price or cut him outright.

Also the draft is in a couple weeks, hold your water.
Why would the fact that they can get less than they are asking make them change their mind and decide to trade him instead of keeping him?

Why would the fact that they can get less than they are asking make them change their mind and decide to trade him instead of keeping him?
I can think of 25,000,000 reasons.

It is interesting. Outside of 49erland, pundits are pretty sure that JG will be traded before the season starts unless Trey Lance is drafted by the 49ers. 49er fans, however, believe Kyle/Lynch when they say they plan to have the drafted QB sit for a year. It seems to me the chances that a rookie will succeed increases if they can sit on the bench for a year, and learn the ropes. What does everyone here think? Are the 49ers better off sitting a rookie for a year, or starting right away and presumably trading Jimmy?

It is interesting. Outside of 49erland, pundits are pretty sure that JG will be traded before the season starts unless Trey Lance is drafted by the 49ers. 49er fans, however, believe Kyle/Lynch when they say they plan to have the drafted QB sit for a year. It seems to me the chances that a rookie will succeed increases if they can sit on the bench for a year, and learn the ropes. What does everyone here think? Are the 49ers better off sitting a rookie for a year, or starting right away and presumably trading Jimmy?
We're in an era where a QB can play right away, provided his O-line is decent, has a running game and has complementary pieces on the outside.

I just spoke to a 49er fan and told him whoever they take the odds aren't in their favor of him working out. He told me their chances will go up if he sits a year which I don't agree with.

They can afford it.
Helluva way to look at it. I think it depends entirely on who they draft. Fields or Jones and they dump him for whatever they can get. Lance and maybe they keep him - or maybe go with a cheaper option.

They want out from under that contract.

We're in an era where a QB can play right away, provided his O-line is decent, has a running game and has complementary pieces on the outside.

I just spoke to a 49er fan and told him whoever they take the odds aren't in their favor of him working out. He told me their chances will go up if he sits a year which I don't agree with.
I agree with that fan. Top 5 QB has about a 25% success rate I have been told based on other research. There was only one semi-recent example of a top 5 QB sitting a year and then playing. Player was Carson Palmer. Obviously too small of a sample size, but if you can increase the likelihood of your top 5 QB succeeding by sitting them a year, you have to do it. The 49ers are giving up too much draft capital - they can't afford for the QB to fail. That is why most 49er fans in a poll I did would reject a first round pick for JG this year.

They think they can win this year. They can afford his contract. They need the cap room and arguably allowing Jimmy to play until the rookie is ready gives them a better chance to win than what else they could use the money on at this point.

They think they can win this year. They can afford his contract. They need the cap room and arguably allowing Jimmy to play until the rookie is ready gives them a better chance to win than what else they could use the money on at this point.
They have more holes than people let on, they also only incur a 2 million dollar dead cap hit if they let him go. They probably won't but 25 million is a lot of money and there are a lot of value vet free agents out there.

For a price, they do. If that price is not met, they will hang onto him to compete with the rookie and gamble Garappolo shows enough in 2021 to maintain or build his value for them to get something for him in trade after next season when Jimmy G no longer has his no-trade clause.

I’ve believed all along and still do that this will get worked out and Garappolo will be the Patriots starting QB in 2021. I just think he’s the QB Bill wants. But, it’s going to cost them.

I’m guessing it happens on day 3 of the draft. The 49ers get one of the Pats 4th rounders this year and a 22 conditional pick that becomes a 1st rounder if Jimmy G stays healthy and QBs the Pats into the playoffs as he likely will....., if he stays healthy.

For a price, they do. If that price is not met, they will hang onto him to compete with the rookie and gamble Garappolo shows enough in 2021 to maintain or build his value for them to get something for him in trade after next season when Jimmy G no longer has his no-trade clause.

I’ve believed all along and still do that this will get worked out and Garappolo will be the Patriots starting QB in 2021. I just think he’s the QB Bill wants. But, it’s going to cost them.

I’m guessing it happens on day 3 of the draft. The 49ers get one of the Pats 4th rounders this year and a 22 conditional pick that becomes a 1st rounder if Jimmy G stays healthy and QBs the Pats into the playoffs as he likely will....., if he stays healthy.
Could be...

This idea that Jimmy G is "the guy" this year but next year he's not makes no sense. If he's the guy to win a superbowl this year he still is next year

If Jimmy is "the guy" why trade 3 first rounders for someone else?

This idea that Jimmy G is "the guy" this year but next year he's not makes no sense. If he's the guy to win a superbowl this year he still is next year

If Jimmy is "the guy" why trade 3 first rounders for someone else?
Let me answer you by giving you 3 other examples along the same lines:

1. Tom Brady was winning Super Bowls. While he was doing that, Bill Belichick was looking to move on from him, and even began screwing around with his contract(s).*
  2. Trent Dilfer won a SB with Baltimore. He was not even brought back the next year.
  3. Aaron Rodgers has been playing at or about MVP level for years. The Packers recently traded up in the first round to get Jordan Love.

*This post is not designed to hijack the thread and make it a BB v. TB thread. It's designed to point out that the question being asked by the poster (RIpats88) is not unique to the 49ers

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back