PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade a 2nd For Jimmy Now; This is Not a Long Term Commitment

This idea that Jimmy G is "the guy" this year but next year he's not makes no sense. If he's the guy to win a superbowl this year he still is next year

If Jimmy is "the guy" why trade 3 first rounders for someone else?
i find it interesting that you would prefer Newton to Jimmy as a 1-2 year bridge to our QB of the future.

i find it interesting that you would prefer Newton to Jimmy as a 1-2 year bridge to our QB of the future.

I actually prefer Jimmy G if they can get him. I think the ceiling of this team is higher with Jimmy than Newton

Love this thread with hindsight.
Obviously, we lucked out with Mac falling to 15.

I think Jimmy would have been pretty good here IF he could have stayed healthy. It was a legitimate option.

Now, we're better off!

It was a reasonable take at the time certainly.

It was a reasonable take at the time certainly.
Well it was through the eyes of being potentially saddled with another season of Cam Newton.
Beating beaten to a pulp seems like a good option when the alternative is a bullet to the head.

This discussion aged well.

I don’t know, guys. I certainly feel good now about how the situation played out, but none of us, nor the Patriots, knew Jones would be available at 14. The rumor is the Saints tried to jump ahead but the Jets (lol) sabotaged that to draft a guard and therefore Jones landed here. Oddsmakers had roughly 50/50 odds the 49ers would pick Jones and not Lance. The chances of the Patriots getting Jones during that time were far from certain.

Also, not to pour ice cold water on the celebration, but Jimmy is 26-11 as a starter. Granted, right now he’s at a low point in SF, while the Patriots are coming off a big win. The injury concerns with JG are big, but he’s a good quarterback, and I think he’d be solid if healthy, playing in New England. I think Mac has a bright future, and he’s exceeded my expectations and then some, but the Patriots are 3-4 while the 49ers with JG are 2-3, and the two have a similar passer rating. I do expect Mac to improve, but I don’t assume it either. I think it’s too soon for a victory lap on this one, but at this point, I’d much rather have Mac Jones. In addition, he’s locked down for five seasons, whereas I think the JG contract would have been a big collision waiting to happen. If he’s played well, he wouldn’t want to take a deep discount and the Patriots would dig their heels in.

I actually would have been glad to see them spend a second on JG and also a first on Jones at the time. It’s the QB position, so you need to ensure you get it right, even of thst means buying extra chances. So I saw a potential JG trade as not necessarily passing on a first round QB either.

I actually would have been glad to see them spend a second on JG and also a first on Jones at the time. It’s the QB position, so you need to ensure you get it right, even of thst means buying extra chances. So I saw a potential JG trade as not necessarily passing on a first round QB either.

I'd rather have Mac Jones + Barmore rather than Mac Jones + JG. But at the time of speculation it wouldn't have been unreasonable trading for JG with the assumption that Mac wouldn't last to 15. At the time the talk was that the 49ers had Mac Jones locked in for the #3 pick. Thankfully Shanahan's folly worked to the Patriots benefit. And yes the Jets moving up for Vera-Tucker helped ensure that no other team leap-frogged the Pats for their signal caller of the future. Thanks Jets for taking Wilson AND Tucker! :p

Nope. Let's be serious about rolling with Cam+Stiddy+Trask/Mond/Mills for 2021.

The Pats need to stand pat! Remember the Darnold domino has to fall....then the Jimmy G domino....

The Bears will be players also. At least 3 more QB's are gonna find new addresses before June, IMO.

And there's always the trading deadline during the season.

Jimmy will be taking a salary cut or be cut or be traded.....sometime before the trading deadline. We could go into the season with Cam....see his arm fall off again....trade for Jimmy....

There is still time....maybe even there's a SHOCKER in the draft with Mac Jones or Fields or Lance dropping.....maybe the Niners want Sewell? Maybe the Jets trade out of the #2 spot because of an offer they couldn't refuse...

This aged well (pats on back).

And there's still time for JG to be dealt before the deadline next Tuesday...
For what? Is he even worth a 3rd at this point? Maybe Denver or someone like that but the guy can't stay healthy. If we did offer a 2nd I'm glad they turned it down.

Garropolo is a very good QB. Its quite an overreaction b/o one crappy game in the rain to dismiss his abilities. Yes he has been injury prone...but I believe he was absolutely worth a 2nd round pick at the time of the draft

Why would the 49ers trade JG? Lance looks nowhere close to ready. Unless someone offers a 2nd round pick for JG, you might as well use him to absorb the lumps that Lance would otherwise take as an unprepared rookie. Even if you are desperate for QB help, giving up a 2nd for JG now would be foolish.

Aside from trade compensation, the main problem is that JG is locked into 25m salary this year. Any team trading for him would have to ask him to tear up his old contract and accept a much lesser deal. If you're JG why would you take less money right now?

Why would the 49ers trade JG? Lance looks nowhere close to ready. Unless someone offers a 2nd round pick for JG, you might as well use him to absorb the lumps that Lance would otherwise take as an unprepared rookie.

The main problem is that JG is locked into 25m salary this year. Any team trading for him would have to ask him to tear up his old contract and accept a much lesser deal. If you're JG why would you take less money right now?
I can think of 23 million reasons why they would trade him, when they are going no where

For what? Is he even worth a 3rd at this point? Maybe Denver or someone like that but the guy can't stay healthy. If we did offer a 2nd I'm glad they turned it down.
Denver, Miami, Houston...there are a TON of teams that would do worse than trade a 3rd for Jimmy G.

Denver, Miami, Houston...there are a TON of teams that would do worse than trade a 3rd for Jimmy G
Sure if they want a 3rd do it but why would SF do it for that? Point is if they want a 2nd or better I wouldn't do it. Maybe Carolina or Denver? You don't rebuild in Hou or Miami with Jimmy Glass.

Sure if they want a 3rd do it but why would SF do it for that? Point is if they want a 2nd or better I wouldn't do it. Maybe Carolina or Denver? You don't rebuild in Hou or Miami with Jimmy Glass.
Because they owe him a ton of money, still, and could roll that forward to repair other problems coming next off-season. Jimmy looks like a placeholder on a team that isn't going anywhere this year unless Kittle gets back from IR quick. He's out of favor with the fans, and clearly unhappy with his treatment, as he should be.

The sooner they get rid of him, the more $$$ they save, the happier he'll be, and the better off they'll be. At this point, they're just throwing good money after bad.

Unless, of course, they think that Jimmy can help them climb back into contention this year (at 2-4, they're a couple of places outside that last wildcard slot in the NFC, and they've got some iron coming up in their schedule in that brutal division).

Because they owe him a ton of money, still, and could roll that forward to repair other problems coming next off-season. Jimmy looks like a placeholder on a team that isn't going anywhere this year unless Kittle gets back from IR quick. He's out of favor with the fans, and clearly unhappy with his treatment, as he should be.

The sooner they get rid of him, the more $$$ they save, the happier he'll be, and the better off they'll be. At this point, they're just throwing good money after bad.

Unless, of course, they think that Jimmy can help them climb back into contention this year (at 2-4, they're a couple of places outside that last wildcard slot in the NFC, and they've got some iron coming up in their schedule in that brutal division).
They will beat the Bears and be a few games out of a wildcard. The new QB doesn't look like he can win them games so I don't think they would unload Jimmy yet because as crazy as it sounds they aren't dead yet. If they lose to the Bears though.... How much is left on his deal?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back