PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade a 2nd For Jimmy Now; This is Not a Long Term Commitment

It speaks to the enigma of Jimmy G that we have equal parts opinion on a 2nd being too much or a steal.
I think people are over-evaluating a 2nd round pick a bit, especially with our recent history of drafting in the 2nd round. I’d trade Duke Dawson, Tavon Wilson, Cyrus Jones or Jordan Richards for Jimmy G straight up....OK, I’m being a little facetious there, but only a little.

My preference

1. Draft Mac Jones. Ideally I'd wait until 15, but if he slips past Carolina, I would trade up to get him. If we can't get Jones, I wouldn't mind trying to snag a future 1st by trading down from 15 to around 30 (if the offer presents itself), and build up a kitty for next year.
2. See if SF budge on Jimmy, but I would probably only offer a 3rd and a 5th, and he'd have to re-do his deal.
3. Take Kellen Mond in the 3rd round.

Oh and absolutely no interest in Trask in the 2nd round, or at all really.

Yes, I believe a healthy Jimmy would be likely to have us competitive with Buffalo for the division, and competitive to go deep in the playoffs.

The "operative word" is healthy

This may have been posted

At the Last minute Bill Belichick takes Marcus Mariota from the Raiders.

What do you think?

In the parcels drafting a qb rules, Lawrence and mond got six out of seven.

Lawrence was not a senior.
mond had a completion rate less than 60 percent,

Cousin, I agree with your premise.
There are too many variables. For every "sure thing" like Lawrence and there are 4 or five Goffs or Wentzs, Drafted 1 or 2. Then there are the Watsons 12th, Mahomes 10th, Allen 7th, Jackson 32nd....so the sweet spot is around 10th.

Jimmy G.? O.K. ironically everyone says you need a mobile QB to win. Brady says hello. Stafford too. But Jimmie G. is not mobile. It's not his cost in trade. It is his financials.

Every rookie QB is a crap shoot. I am scared to death about Fields and the trend for Ohio State QBs in the NFL. There have been no success stories from that school for some reason. I think of Dwayne Haskins.

Zack Wilson seems like the real deal but he has had injuries in the past. Lance comes from N.Dakota State who brought us Wentz. Both might turn out o.k. in the end but this is not an SEC program.

This leads us to Mac Jones. I think he gets Drafted within the top 10. You still have to move to get up to him. How many picks will that cost?

Trask? Don't giggle:

Vertical passing:
1. Mac Jones: 4.6 passes per game of 20-plus yards, 57% completion rate, 26.4 yards per pass, 10-2 TD-INT, 99.9 raw QBR
2. Zach Wilson: 4.3 per game, 69% completion rate, 27.2 yards per pass, 7-0 TD-INT, 99.9 raw QBR
3. Justin Fields: 3.0 per game, 73% completion rate, 27.2 yards per pass, 5-1 TD-INT, 99.9 raw QBR on said passes
4. Kyle Trask: 4.4 per game, 57% completion rate, 19.9 yards per pass, 8-1 TD-INT, 99.5 raw QBR
5. Ian Book: 3.3 per game, 40% completion rate, 15.9 yards per pass, 1-0 TD-INT, 89.0 raw QBR
6. Trevor Lawrence: 4.9 per game, 38% completion rate, 16.1 yards per pass, 5-2 TD-INT, 85.2 raw QBR

Best situational QB (third downs, red zone):​

1. Fields: 71% third-down completion rate, 96.9 raw QBR on third down, 68% red zone completion rate, 98.8 raw QBR in red zone
2. Trask: 71% third-down completion rate, 95.5 raw QBR on third down, 70% red zone completion rate, 91.9 raw QBR in red zone
3. Lawrence: 61% third-down completion rate, 93.7 raw QBR on third down, 71% red zone completion rate, 89.6 raw QBR in red zone
4. Jones: 63% third-down completion rate, 81.1 raw QBR on third down, 79% red zone completion rate, 97.7 raw QBR in red zone
5. Wilson: 78% third-down completion rate, 81.6 raw QBR on third down, 68% red zone completion rate, 96.6 raw QBR in red zone
6. Book: 65% third-down completion rate, 91.3 raw QBR on third down, 45% red zone completion rate, 67.6 raw QBR in red zone

Best on the move:

1. Book: 54 rushing yards per game from scrambles (7.3 per carry), 27% of non-sack carries gaining 5-plus yards, 52% completion rate outside the pocket, 81.8 raw QBR outside the pocket
2. Fields: 47 rushing yards per game from scrambles (8.2 per carry), 23% of non-sack carries gaining 5-plus yards, 70% completion rate outside the pocket, 81.6 raw QBR outside the pocket
3. Wilson: 13.4 rushing yards per game from scrambles (9.3 per carry), 21% of non-sack carries gaining 5-plus yards, 62% completion rate outside the pocket, 94.5 raw QBR outside the pocket
4. Lawrence: 11.9 rushing yards per game from scrambles (10.4 per carry), 31% of non-sack carries gaining 5-plus yards, 47% completion rate outside the pocket, 47.4 raw QBR outside the pocket
5. Jones: 4.3 rushing yards per game from scrambles (3.4 per carry), 7% of non-sack carries gaining 5-plus yards, 73% completion rate outside the pocket, 95.2 raw QBR outside the pocket
6. Trask: 3.5 rushing yards per game from scrambles (2.3 per carry), 14% of non-sack carries gaining 5-plus yards, 59% completion rate outside the pocket, 53.4 raw QBR outside the pocket

Fewest Mistakes:

1. Jones:
0.8% interception rate, 2.9% sack rate, 83% catchable passes
2. Trask: 1.1% interception rate, 2.8% sack rate, 85% catchable passes
3. Lawrence: 0.9% interception rate, 4.6% sack rate, 83% catchable passes
4. Wilson: 1.3% interception rate, 3.4% sack rate, 85% catchable passes
5. Book: 0.4% interception rate, 5.7% sack rate, 73% catchable passes
6. Fields: 2.7% interception rate, 9.6% sack rate, 88% catchable passes

Tally:
1. Jones 17
2. Fields 16
3T. Trask 14
4T. Wilson 14
5. Lawrence 12
6. Book 11

In 2019, Trask replaced an injured Franks and started the final 10 games of the season. He completed 237 of 354 passes (66.9 percent) for 2,941 yards with 25 TDs and seven interceptions and ran for four TDs. Trask upped his game further in 2020 and was a Heisman Trophy finalist. He threw for a Gators-record 43 TD passes and only eight interceptions in completing 301 of 437 passes (68.9 percent) for 4,283 yards, and running for three TDs in 12 starts

Trask should be there at #46 and he is a definite at #15.Think Drew Bledsoe who was prett good for us. Trask is not going to wow in rushing yards but he did score 8 TDs at Florida. Is Trask as mobile as Jimmie G. is the big question of the day in comparison.

Threats?

DW Toys
You make Trask sound very appetizing. ‘Take a defensive mauler at 15, move up 5-10 spots w the 46 and grab him.’ Sounds like a plan .....

just I’m kinda wondering: if everyone else believes Lawrence is the 2d coming of joe Montana, how does he come out #5 in your list of 6 QB evaluations??? And if that eval is wrong, what is wrong with all the other veal’s then? In other words , I’m asking: assuming, you are right-what is all the media etc missing??

Wouldn't trade up at all. If SF takes a QB then offer them a 3rd or a 2nd for Jimmy. If this fails, see who's available at #15. If Parsons, Paye, Collins are available might go there. Would think about Mac but see if he might keep sliding.

Wouldn't trade up at all. If SF takes a QB then offer them a 3rd or a 2nd for Jimmy. If this fails, see who's available at #15. If Parsons, Paye, Collins are available might go there. Would think about Mac but see if he might keep sliding.
If you don't like the QBs that are available after pick #3, I get not wanting the team to trade up for one of the remainders. But why on Earth would you be opposed to trading up for Parsons (just to name one example of an obvious talent/need match who might very well be taken before #15)?

When trying to factor in a JG trade, you can't do it WITHOUT figuring the contract. Trade for JG and you also get his $24MM contract. Jimmy would be crazy to negotiate off that $24mm number. So any team that wants to trade for him will have that contract added on to all the other negatives about JG's game. These days teams expect draft picks BACK if they take on a big contract, not give them up. Most recently, the Lions got PAID for taking on Jared Goff's inflated deal.

I would laugh at Lynchie if he demanded a 2nd round pick....or even a 3rd rounder to take on JG's contact. That is why we have Cam, however you choose to view him, This way we are never dealing from a position of desperation. That being said, I think Bill would be happy to pay more than the going rate for Jimmy, because of his unique history with us. But NO team is going to give up THAT much on a QB who's ceiling looks to be as a good, but not great QB WHEN HE's HEALTHY, which isn't very often.

All that being said, they Niners are NOT going to get much in return for a JG trade. So why trade him at all. (which is what I've been saying all along in several threads) Where's the benefit to the Niners to trade him. The QB they pick will be very unlikely to play much before the 2022 season (especially if its Lance). They have a team that could contend now with decent QB play, and they have no financial commitments to JG should they cut him tomorrow or next season

As for JG, he might not be thrilled with the idea, and probably would LIKE to come back to NE, BUT baring a trade that would NOT be in the best interests of the Niner organization, he is stuck there, and it would be in HIS best interest that he do his best to have a great season for a good team in 2021.

Given Jimmy's contract the market was never going to be strong for is services to begin with. IIIRC someone posted that there were just 4 or 5 teams who have the room to take on JG's contract, and everyone of them have their QB's or will pick one in the top 8 in the draft. Let us not forget that JG is DAMAGED GOODS, and that's damaged goods with a bad cap killing contract. So rather than giving up a 2nd to acquire him, I propose we ask SF to send US a 2nd to take him off their hands. ;)

Wouldn't that be awesome if the Jets f***ed the 9ers over and took the guy they wanted at #2?

If you don't like the QBs that are available after pick #3, I get not wanting the team to trade up for one of the remainders. But why on Earth would you be opposed to trading up for Parsons (just to name one example of an obvious talent/need match who might very well be taken before #15)?

I would trade up for parsons in a heartbeat. But I doubt he falls too far out of the top 5.

This is the perfect time for the Jets to make an all out “blitz” to get Watson.
I think the accusations will scare teams off and he will stay with Houston for at least this year. It would shocking if he doesn't get suspended as we live in a "guilty before proven innocent" world these days.

I think the accusations will scare teams off and he will stay with Houston for at least this year. It would shocking if he doesn't get suspended as we live in a "guilty before proven innocent" world these days.

no guts, no glory. This is the perfect leverage New York can use to get him to waive his no trade clause.

will you please with the Watson gaa gaa goony crap...please. WTF has this mutt ever won? He's had loaded teams in Houston. He won ONE playoff game at home in his career against Barfalo in 2018. Whoop-dee-friggin-doo. IMO he is NOT a winner in the long run exactly because he's been revealed to be a frickin' degenerate...and before any of you go off trying to defend him ala Simpleton, HE FLEW TO ATLANTA TO GET MASSAGES PLUS. THAT is an indication of ADULT IMMATURITY. The exact same trait displayed by your "dreamy Jimmy G" or have you forgotten HIS big bosomed bimbo forays with women with stock in American Plastics Inc. FEET OF CLAY. Don't want anything to do with giving up a bag of flatulence for either one. We are getting a QB in the draft and we will move forward. Deblown Watson is yesterday's news

I would trade up for parsons in a heartbeat. But I doubt he falls too far out of the top 5.
Yeah, I don't know where he'll be picked, but his pro day definitely didn't seem to hurt his draft stock in the eyes of the media-employed personnel guys.

Yeah, I don't know where he'll be picked, but his pro day definitely didn't seem to hurt his draft stock in the eyes of the media-employed personnel guys.

I think some of the teams ahead of us will go off the board and reach in some offensive linemen and/or edge rushers and someone highly rated will fall to us.

if it is waddle or parsons, it is all good!

Well I also like Collins and Paye in addition to Parsons. Also based on mock drafts there should be multiple great players there at #15. I guess it depends on who it's for.

BB has made a first round trade up 4 times

People forget this because they tend not to be flashy moves, usually only a handful of picks. I can't remember the 4th one, but the three I do remember were all successful players as well (Warren, Hightower, Jones). Do you remember who #4 was?

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back