PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade a 2nd For Jimmy Now; This is Not a Long Term Commitment

I think people are over-evaluating a 2nd round pick a bit, especially with our recent history of drafting in the 2nd round. I’d trade Duke Dawson, Tavon Wilson, Cyrus Jones or Jordan Richards for Jimmy G straight up....OK, I’m being a little facetious there, but only a little.

I think it's a little funky to use the worse examples of 2nd rounders, when there are some all time greats that were also picked in the 2nd round (Gronk, Vollmer, Chung). But I agree with your point because round 2 (and even the end of round 1 some years) is a MAJOR crap shoot. I view it like this: Does JG give us a better chance at a Super Bowl in the next 4 years than any of the QB's who will be available in round 2? I would say the odds of that are pretty high.

People forget this because they tend not to be flashy moves, usually only a handful of picks. I can't remember the 4th one, but the three I do remember were all successful players as well (Warren, Hightower, Jones). Do you remember who #4 was?
Daniel Graham

I think it's a little funky to use the worse examples of 2nd rounders, when there are some all time greats that were also picked in the 2nd round (Gronk, Vollmer, Chung). But I agree with your point because round 2 (and even the end of round 1 some years) is a MAJOR crap shoot. I view it like this: Does JG give us a better chance at a Super Bowl in the next 4 years than any of the QB's who will be available in round 2? I would say the odds of that are pretty high.

I wasn’t being entirely serious, hence the facetious reference, but I agree that 2nd rounders shouldn’t be treated like untouchable investments.

Wouldn't that be awesome if the Jets f***ed the 9ers over and took the guy they wanted at #2?
I could see the jets or someone they trade with draft Fields.

I suppose we could try to be a playoff team by spending $65M in free agency and having the worst starting QB in the NFL.
The margin from 7 wins to 10 wins and the playoffs is a few plays here and there.

The 2021 Pats are significantly improved on paper. TE alone will make a huge difference. Who were the threats in the passing game last season? Meyers? He is just another guy. What defense respected the NE passing game? None.

1 Cam proved that he can stay healthy and available.
2 Cam proved that he is still a mobile threat.

Unless BB has gone senile, I have to beleive that Cams shoulder was dinged up last season for BB to bring Cam back and pay him more money

The margin from 7 wins to 10 wins and the playoffs is a few plays here and there.

The 2021 Pats are significantly improved on paper. TE alone will make a huge difference. Who were the threats in the passing game last season? Meyers? He is just another guy. What defense respected the NE passing game? None.

Unless BB has gone senile, I have to beleive that Cams shoulder was dinged up last season for BB to bring Cam back and pay him more money

did bb see newton making throws in the early season when he had a healthy Edelman and decide that newton would be a better thrower with better receiving weapons?

did bb see newton making throws in the early season when he had a healthy Edelman and decide that newton would be a better thrower with better receiving weapons?
Newton was the same guy all year except for a really good quarter and a half while Edelman went crazy against a generationally poor defense.

I expect us to be in the playoffs with Cam (probably one and done).

That being said, how many more games might we win with a better quarterback? Personally, I think that we would have a couple of more wins with guys like Mariota and Trubisky, And a half dozen others. How much is 2 more games this year (and perhaps next worth)?

I don't like Jimmy or Brisette but I suspect that either would probably be worth 3 more games than Cam.

Forget the individuals. Many. many quarterbacks have been available in free agency and by trade. Is Cam really the best choice as a bridge quarterback (starting in 2021 and perhaps 2022)? We could take a poll, but I suspect that most here believe that we would win more games with ABC.

You make one presumption. You presume that teams will respect our passing game while we have a very poor passer as our quarterback. Cam will have lots and lots more passing opportunities, but that won't be the reason we win more games. Our defense is better! Also, having TE's improve the running game, and give us another outlet receiver, along with White on 3rd down.

• JIMMY GAROPPOLOQB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

When asked about the team's trade for the No. 3 overall pick, 49ers GM John Lynch said Jimmy Garoppolo "likes competition."​

"We felt like we had a team that can compete," Lynch said. "We went to ownership, said 'hey things are looking good, we want to make this (trade), but we don't want to say goodbye to Jimmy.'" Per Lynch, 49ers ownership signed off on keeping both a rookie and the 29-year-old veteran under contract for 2021. It confirms what was already known: the Niners will be adding someone under center at No. 3, and Garoppolo is in fact part of the team's plans ... for now. (Coach Kyle Shanahan added that the team wouldn't "rule out a trade" if they're "absolutely blown away.") Both Lynch and Shanahan are scheduled to be in attendance for Mac Jones', Trey Lance's, and Justin Fields' (rescheduled) pro days.
    RELATED: SOURCE: Cam Inman on Twitter
    Mar 29, 2021, 3:36 PM ET

• JIMMY GAROPPOLOQB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

When asked about the team's trade for the No. 3 overall pick, 49ers GM John Lynch said Jimmy Garoppolo "likes competition."​

"We felt like we had a team that can compete," Lynch said. "We went to ownership, said 'hey things are looking good, we want to make this (trade), but we don't want to say goodbye to Jimmy.'" Per Lynch, 49ers ownership signed off on keeping both a rookie and the 29-year-old veteran under contract for 2021. It confirms what was already known: the Niners will be adding someone under center at No. 3, and Garoppolo is in fact part of the team's plans ... for now. (Coach Kyle Shanahan added that the team wouldn't "rule out a trade" if they're "absolutely blown away.") Both Lynch and Shanahan are scheduled to be in attendance for Mac Jones', Trey Lance's, and Justin Fields' (rescheduled) pro days.
    RELATED:
  • SOURCE: Cam Inman on Twitter
    Mar 29, 2021, 3:36 PM ET

Don Yee should immediately request SF guarantee his client's 2021 salary: "Prove your words have value"

Don Yee should immediately request SF guarantee his client's 2021 salary: "Prove your words have value"
Jimmy said that he is ready to take on all comers and take them down 1 at a time.

Realtalk.

Wouldn't that be awesome if the Jets f***ed the 9ers over and took the guy they wanted at #2?

I think drafting Wilson would be a consolation price that the 49ers would settle for though. If you listen to Chris Simms, Wilson's floor is a Hall of Fame QB at the level of Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes (no joke). So his ceiling is Tom Brady level according to Simms. And Simms never gets a QB evaluation wrong.

But seriously, the 49ers are in a can't lose situation on who they get to pick. They will get the second or third best QB in the draft if they choose to. Whether that pick turns into a franchise QB is yet to be seen, but if the Jets take their guy they will have a better guy to draft available.

I’m really thinking if you don’t go up for Lance and it’s one of those boom or bust moves.
You have to take Waddle or a Dlineman. Waddle opens up the whole offensive because he keeps defenses on their toes. That being said if he and the top 3 DL are gone then I’m advocating a trade down to get a better shot at a blue chip QB next year. Draft Mills or Mond in the lower second early Third. This draft is deep at WR and Defensivebacks. I’d go defensive and offensive lineman Early that is how you win. Whether it’s scouting luck or coaching or a combination we hit on late round defensive backs the most. So I’d save defensive backs for later rounds.
I would trade this first a first next year and a player or a second this or next year for Lance or Fields but that’s the most I would offer.

This is a good analysis of the very unusual (for a QB) front-loaded contract Jimmy signed. What is key is right now he has absolutely no job security - they could cut him two games in, for example, with virtually no cap hit or dead money. If he thinks that's likely, he could instead hold out, whether for a restructured contract with more security or for a trade.

Cap Hit: Garoppolo's contract is a true "front-loaded" contract, which is rare in the NFL. His $37 million first-year cap hit is easily the highest cap hit during his deal, which is rare for large NFL contracts that go past three years.​
Dead Money and Cap Savings: This is where the true team-friendly nature of Garoppolo's deal shows. Due to the insignificant signing bonus and the front-loaded cap hits Garoppolo, could have been cut after just year two of his deal. Quarterbacks usually have more in the way of guarantees to ensure they can have more security, but Garoppolo is betting on himself playing well enough that the 49ers would not have any reason to release him. Due to insignificant dead money after year two, Garoppolo’s contract is functionally a two-year/$57 million deal with three team-option years of around $24 million each.​

oh, i think they are VERY much in a CAN lose situation.......

I meant in being able to get either the second or third highest rated QBs in the draft. Every pick from the first pick in the draft to Mr. Irrelevant has can lose potential.

I am just saying that if the Jets go off script and take Mac Jones (assuming the rumors are true that is who the 49ers want), then 49ers get to select Zack Wilson who is pretty universally considered better than any of the QBs that are supposed to be available at #3. That's my point.

I meant in being able to get either the second or third highest rated QBs in the draft. Every pick from the first pick in the draft to Mr. Irrelevant has can lose potential.

I am just saying that if the Jets go off script and take Mac Jones (assuming the rumors are true that is who the 49ers want), then 49ers get to select Zack Wilson who is pretty universally considered better than any of the QBs that are supposed to be available at #3. That's my point.

gotcha

i think what they put up for what they are potentially going to get has major bust potential, to the point i don't think it was worth the cost......

When trying to factor in a JG trade, you can't do it WITHOUT figuring the contract. Trade for JG and you also get his $24MM contract. Jimmy would be crazy to negotiate off that $24mm number. So any team that wants to trade for him will have that contract added on to all the other negatives about JG's game. These days teams expect draft picks BACK if they take on a big contract, not give them up. Most recently, the Lions got PAID for taking on Jared Goff's inflated deal.

I would laugh at Lynchie if he demanded a 2nd round pick....or even a 3rd rounder to take on JG's contact. That is why we have Cam, however you choose to view him, This way we are never dealing from a position of desperation. That being said, I think Bill would be happy to pay more than the going rate for Jimmy, because of his unique history with us. But NO team is going to give up THAT much on a QB who's ceiling looks to be as a good, but not great QB WHEN HE's HEALTHY, which isn't very often.

All that being said, they Niners are NOT going to get much in return for a JG trade. So why trade him at all. (which is what I've been saying all along in several threads) Where's the benefit to the Niners to trade him. The QB they pick will be very unlikely to play much before the 2022 season (especially if its Lance). They have a team that could contend now with decent QB play, and they have no financial commitments to JG should they cut him tomorrow or next season

As for JG, he might not be thrilled with the idea, and probably would LIKE to come back to NE, BUT baring a trade that would NOT be in the best interests of the Niner organization, he is stuck there, and it would be in HIS best interest that he do his best to have a great season for a good team in 2021.

Given Jimmy's contract the market was never going to be strong for is services to begin with. IIIRC someone posted that there were just 4 or 5 teams who have the room to take on JG's contract, and everyone of them have their QB's or will pick one in the top 8 in the draft. Let us not forget that JG is DAMAGED GOODS, and that's damaged goods with a bad cap killing contract. So rather than giving up a 2nd to acquire him, I propose we ask SF to send US a 2nd to take him off their hands. ;)
Garoppolo's contract gives him ZERO long-term security. It's almost all salary this year and next. Another injury and he's done, $-wise. The only way I see him wanting to not renegotiate would be if he's certain that he'll become a back-up, which I doubt. Were I him, I'd rather a 4-year, starter-level deal with typical guarantees built in, which I think more than one team would offer him.

Why should SF trade him at all? Well, they've made it clear he ain't their guy and they're laying out 25m in salary to someone they feel they can and should replace. 13.5% of the salary cap on a placeholder? Shanahan could certainly coax Alex Smith for less than half that, I'd expect, or could trade for Minshew or Darnold or someone to hold the fort at a fraction of the $$$. But again, it's Shanahan, who is out there and stubborn as hell, from all indications.

Why should Jimmy want to leave? Because he's doomed there. There's little upside - his contract structure now gives all the leverage to SF.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back