PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade a 2nd For Jimmy Now; This is Not a Long Term Commitment

If so, im fine with that but he better move up to not risk losing him.
Can’t be left empty handed.
Not everyone thinks these kids are all top ten draft picks.

"Lance will need a lot of practice time with pro coaches. He has a great skill set with arm strength, size, running ability, and upside. An AFC general manager said they think Lance is worthy of being a pick in the back half of the first round because he needs development, although he probably will go much higher out of team need. Lance will need a lot of work with reading defenses, working through progressions, and overall pocket passing. Here's a breakdown of Lance from one area scout: "He's big with a strong arm and is a good athlete, but he has no touch or feel as a passer. Lance reminds me of Jason Campbell."

Late in 2020, WalterFootball.com sought opinions on Jones from five different teams regarding the 2021 NFL Draft. Three had a fourth-round grade on Jones, one had him on the bubble between Rounds 2 and 3, and one team gave him a second-round grade. An AFC general manager said the second round was too high for Jones, calling him a mid-round talent, so opinions vary on Jones across the league. Some in the media are projecting him to go in the first round, so perhaps there are teams that have a first-round grade on Jones

Three directors of college scouting and a national scout told WalterFootball.com that Trask is a better pocket passer than Justin Fields, in part because Trask lacks mobility, so he has developed good pocket awareness by default. An AFC general manager told me they think Trask will be a second-round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Trask has serious pocket-passing ability for the NFL. He is very accurate in terms of impressive ball placement, timing, field vision, and decision-making. Helped by a powerful arm capable of making touch passes, Trask put on display some natural passing ability in every game of 2020. Trask's lack of mobility and teams viewing him as a statue in the pocket are hurting him, but some team sources think Trask could be a riser in the interviews. It would help to show better-than-expected athleticism at the Florida pro day.

Well if traded up before SF did we wouldn’t be in this predicament so sitting on his hands with the worse qb room in the league might leave him empty handed when someone else moves.
Chicago, Carolina, Denver, Philly, Washington, Detroit, New Orleans may all be calling about Jimmy and they won’t ask the patriots if it’s to early and the price might come down.
This is a really dumb take.

If so, im fine with that but he better move up to not risk losing him.
Can’t be left empty handed.
Come OTAs if they have neither I'm resigning as Chairman & CEO of Team Bill and asking Crawhammer if he wants to be besties.

It’s possible. I can see Bill saying “you don’t want my 2nd? Whatever we’ll see how the draft goes bud.” Then ignores Lynch until draft day, sees who he drafts, and then if Jones makes it past ATL and CIN and MIA (he should) he calls up DET to get ahead of CAR at #7. Maybe send #15, this year’s #2, and one of the #4’s. Then he calls Lynch back and says OK I’m out of ammo so take a 4th or cut Jimmy and I’ll take him for nothing. I don’t care I’ve got Mac now so Jimmy would just be a bridge anyway.
The #1 rule in negotiating is making it clear to the other party you have no problem walking away.

The #1 rule in negotiating is making it clear to the other party you have no problem walking away.

I think this is why Bill signed Cam newton early in the off-season. He is fully content to go into the season with cam newton as his QB. it might be option #3 but its an option. imagine if he only had Stidham?

teams would be trying to rake him over a barrel to get Jimmy G/move up

Explain. You think it’s a good idea to wait until another team trades for garoppolo?

I'm sure Bill has already called San Francisco again to gauge their interest. I mean he did 2 weeks ago before signing cam and they said no.

But, I agree he should trade for Jimmy G to at least have an answer on him. Theres still alot of pieces that I think are unknown right now.

I think this is why Bill signed Cam newton early in the off-season. He is fully content to go into the season with cam newton as his QB. it might be option #3 but its an option. imagine if he only had Stidham?

teams would be trying to rake him over a barrel to get Jimmy G/move up
Exactly. Bill wants to de-risk his downside for the worst case scenario. Not just QB but it's a philosophy he applies to all positions

Locking in Cam does that.

I'm sure Bill has already called San Francisco again to gauge their interest. I mean he did 2 weeks ago before signing cam and they said no.

But, I agree he should trade for Jimmy G to at least have an answer on him. Theres still alot of pieces that I think are unknown right now.
The comment I was responding to was that bb should wait and the price might come down.

Very thoughtful and thorough piece in The Athletic on Jimmy and the 49er's. Includes these paragraphs:

Things are calm. Nobody has reneged on anything. Nobody has hung up on anybody or issued any ultimatums. I don’t believe Garoppolo is about to demand a trade. I don’t think Shanahan and Lynch want to trade him. In fact, 49ers sources have told national reporters that Shanahan and Lynch have every intention of keeping Garoppolo as the planned 2021 starter, with the rookie QB as a backup preparing to take over in 2022. Maybe this is not true, but I have always believed that the 49ers would pair Garoppolo with a young QB in 2021 and let the competition in training camp and beyond decide the rest of it.

Which, I think, is about to happen, even if many around the football world cannot understand it.

Here’s the explanation, shorn of false expectations and emotion: Shanahan and Lynch decided they had to bring in a QB with star qualities to set the franchise up for the next 10 years, but Garoppolo remains the 49ers’ best option at QB for 2021 until proven otherwise. No rookie QB has ever led his team to the Super Bowl, which remains a very tangible 49ers goal this season. I’m sure he’s not overjoyed by this trade, but I’ve heard nothing to suggest that Garoppolo wants to duck the challenge this offseason and into training camp.

Very thoughtful and thorough piece in The Athletic on Jimmy and the 49er's. Includes these paragraphs:

Things are calm. Nobody has reneged on anything. Nobody has hung up on anybody or issued any ultimatums. I don’t believe Garoppolo is about to demand a trade. I don’t think Shanahan and Lynch want to trade him. In fact, 49ers sources have told national reporters that Shanahan and Lynch have every intention of keeping Garoppolo as the planned 2021 starter, with the rookie QB as a backup preparing to take over in 2022. Maybe this is not true, but I have always believed that the 49ers would pair Garoppolo with a young QB in 2021 and let the competition in training camp and beyond decide the rest of it.

Which, I think, is about to happen, even if many around the football world cannot understand it.

Here’s the explanation, shorn of false expectations and emotion: Shanahan and Lynch decided they had to bring in a QB with star qualities to set the franchise up for the next 10 years, but Garoppolo remains the 49ers’ best option at QB for 2021 until proven otherwise. No rookie QB has ever led his team to the Super Bowl, which remains a very tangible 49ers goal this season. I’m sure he’s not overjoyed by this trade, but I’ve heard nothing to suggest that Garoppolo wants to duck the challenge this offseason and into training camp.

so many different opinions. Jeff Howe also had a piece yesterday that this is bluffing for trade leverage. Same with Florio.

Guess we will see. I think there is a scenario they keep him but to me also seems unlikely. pay a guy $25million who has a legit chance of losing his starting job in training camp? Especially if Florio's "they are going to ask Jimmy G to take a paycut" rings true. Why take a pay cut to play for a team that doesn't want you?

I think we are in a period of extreme posturing. its smart by San Fran who just gave away 2 future firsts to see if they can recoup a future first from some team. So, why tell the world you want to get rid of the guy? his trade value only will go down.

If no one bites they may lower their trade price to a 2nd or a 2nd and a player

Explain. You think it’s a good idea to wait until another team trades for garoppolo?
Sf was willing to pay that much to move up. It would have cost the patriots more to move up to that spot. Just because SF already moved up in no way prevents the Patriots from moving up between now and the draft. Your fixation with the timing is misguided. There are multiple draft picks, probably let's say 10 where the patriots could trade to and still get one of the top 5 qb's in the draft. Hell if the Patriots wanted they could probably offer SF a sweet enough package to move up to their pick. Until a team has sent their card in, that pick is still available. My guess is the Patriots have grades on all the qb's and would be willing to move up to a certain spot to get the qb they have rated highly, but unless they move up to 1, they don't control their destiny and won't know who will be available where until the draft has begun.

At the end of the day Jimmy is likely saying “I’ll start for you this year - for $24M. Not going to take any pay cut. I’ll only take a trade to the places where my agent confirms they’ll extend me for an acceptable amount of money or otherwise pay my current salary. If you don’t want to pay me that much money then those are your options. Otherwise I’ll be fine getting paid big one more year and we can do this again next year.”

At the end of the day Jimmy is likely saying “I’ll start for you this year - for $24M. Not going to take any pay cut. I’ll only take a trade to the places where my agent confirms they’ll extend me for an acceptable amount of money or otherwise pay my current salary. If you don’t want to pay me that much money then those are your options. Otherwise I’ll be fine getting paid big one more year and we can do this again next year.”
Yeah. Jimmy is still going to be the presumptive starter in SF. The reality is they will be a good team. His best bet is keeping the money and playing as well as he can to either have suitors on a new team or make SF rethink who they should keep.

Yeah. Jimmy is still going to be the presumptive starter in SF. The reality is they will be a good team. His best bet is keeping the money and playing as well as he can to either have suitors on a new team or make SF rethink who they should keep.

Problem is, according to Florio the niners are likely going to ask him to take a significant paycut due to his injury history.

Bottom line? No one is paying Garoppolo $25 million this year. The only question is whether he takes less to stay in San Francisco, whether he takes less to facilitate a trade, or whether he’s ultimately cut.

I doubt jimmy is being made any promises about his starting Job in March even if they do end up keeping him. If the Rookie looks really good in camp and/or outperforms Jimmy G they are going to be the starter.

Problem is, according to Florio the niners are likely going to ask him to take a significant paycut due to his injury history.

I doubt jimmy is being made any promises about his starting Job in March even if they do end up keeping him. If the Rookie looks really good in camp and/or outperforms Jimmy G they are going to be the starter.
Then they can wait to trade him then.

Cam starting and keep our 2nd
Jimmy starting and no second
==========
For me, the choice is very easy, and I don't see Jimmy as a more than 1 year solution..

If you think Jimmy is good enough for a 2nd round pick, but no more than a 1 year solution then you must really believe he’s capable of taking this team deep into the playoffs and possibly all the way. That’s fine, but that’s the only way those two beliefs make any sense together.

Its pretty crazy to think that 2 out of the last 3 quarterbacks representing the NFC in the Super bowl are gone or on their way out.

For me Lynch and Shanny bought more years in San Fran alone with this massive trade up. Actually Jimmy playing well this season could look like wasted resources to the owner. You have absolutely nothing to gain playing Jimmy G this year knowing he is not the Franchise QB.
I read New Orleans could be interested in his services as well. For me my goals haven’t changed 1A trade up for Lance 1B draft Waddle and take Mills with a trade back up or use the second for Jimmy G, 1C draft Mond with a trade down late Into the second early third round.

Other option is trade out of first for a first next year and a second this year if the option presents itself.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back