PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade a 2nd For Jimmy Now; This is Not a Long Term Commitment

Offering Cam and a third may be less attractive to the 49ers than just a third without Cam.
Not if they're drafting a Cam-like QB (Fields or Lance) and think Newton is serviceable for a bit.

I can understand the point but i hope a third/fourth will do it with a combination. Bc the only reason for the 49ers to trade jimmy is their cap hit rn. I can easily see them keeping jimmy as the vet starter day 1. In that case a second will not be enough. So if the 49ers are interested, it implies to me that they don't want to keep JG and see the rookie as day 1 starter so JG would either get cut or traded which leaves them in a bad position
sure, we should try to give SF less

sure, we should try to give SF less
If they wanna trade him, they want to get rid of him and his money. This decreases his trade value imo. If they are not interested i think they are looking for first rd. pick at least

Why isnt SF a playoff team?

Good WRs, HOF TE, Decent RBs.
Their move implies to me like they are in win now modus or sth like that.

I agree that we as fans do not want to see the Patriots go into 2021 with a near-repeat of the 2020 QB options (Newton, Stidham).

While Jimmy G is a better option than the above, those are not the only two options. I would rather draft a QB, even though we know it won't be one of the top three. Then perhaps add Alex Smith as competition with Newton to be the veteran placeholder until the rookie is ready, depending on how much it will cost to sign him.

BB is stubborn and will try to prove Kraft wrong for shipping Jimmy out.

Maybe this is how it ends. Jimmy, Cam and BB going down with the ship.

I agree that we as fans do not want to see the Patriots go into 2021 with a near-repeat of the 2020 QB options (Newton, Stidham).

While Jimmy G is a better option than the above, those are not the only two options. I would rather draft a QB, even though we know it won't be one of the top three. Then perhaps add Alex Smith as competition with Newton to be the veteran placeholder until the rookie is ready, depending on how much it will cost to sign him.
Yep at least Smith is a FA and probably cheaper. I like how he played last year

The conventional wisdom is that the Patriots must trade up to the top 4 to get one of the elite QBs. If history has taught us anything is that BB doesn't follow conventional wisdom. He probably has his QB of the future picked out and it's probably going to be made in the 3rd round, Trask, Mond or Ramsey of Northwestern and the pick at #15 will be the BPA, likely a stud on defense. He's probably sitting there hoping that all the top picks are QB so he can draft 'his' player at 15........

Drafting a quarterback top 10 is a crapshoot, great if you hit, not so great if you don't and even worse if you mortgaged the future with multiple future first round picks to draft the next Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith....

A 24 million 2021 salary.

He has missed 23 games in SF out of 48.

The niners are going to release JG after the draft. they will have no choice. They will not want to pay him 25 million this year period.
The patriots will be able to sign him then if they want him. He is good but not great. He is better than Cam but not a top 10 QB and his injury history is concerning. I think he is worth15 million/year at this point

Last edited:
Supposedly, they offered a 2nd and SF said no Maybe that's changed now, post SF leap up the boards.

I'd offer a third + Cam or a second, sure, if I thought JG was the guy to take the team forward.
A second? This sounds like SF setting a floor.

Id prefer a 3rd or lower but if a 2nd is a must id do it. We cannot waste a year of this roster on cam

Nope. Let's be serious about rolling with Cam+Stiddy+Trask/Mond/Mills for 2021.

The Pats need to stand pat! Remember the Darnold domino has to fall....then the Jimmy G domino....

The Bears will be players also. At least 3 more QB's are gonna find new addresses before June, IMO.

And there's always the trading deadline during the season.

Jimmy will be taking a salary cut or be cut or be traded.....sometime before the trading deadline. We could go into the season with Cam....see his arm fall off again....trade for Jimmy....

There is still time....maybe even there's a SHOCKER in the draft with Mac Jones or Fields or Lance dropping.....maybe the Niners want Sewell? Maybe the Jets trade out of the #2 spot because of an offer they couldn't refuse...

I don't think that Jimmy is the one to take the team forward.

If Bill believed that, the #15 would be long gone.
I think Bill just wants to use that pick elsewhere. I think he DOES want jimmy going forward, but hopes to get him as cheap as possible ($ & picks).

Last edited:
If Bill believed that, the #15 would be long gone.
So you've never followed Bill's approach to trades and drafts, then?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back