Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Apologies in advance here for starting another Boston sports media gripe fest: Can someone please explain to me the appeal of these two and how they've managed to last eight years on the air with 98.5? I've tried multiple times to give them a chance and each time is an epic fail -- they talk sports only about a third of the time and exhibit little insight or knowledge. Otherwise it's just random blather about minor nothings. Fred Toucher acts/talks like he's half-asleep and Rich Shertenlieb always is giggling like an over-caffeinated frat boy about unfunny things. No talent, no chemistry. Certainly no news or entertainment value. I just don't get it. Perhaps it's a generational thing I'm missing, but it's the worst radio of any kind I've ever heard (and seen on simulcast TV), sports or otherwise. Also, what's with Toucher wearing Detroit Tigers gear all the time?

Last edited:
The only reason I can think of that they have lasted is they are slightly more entertaining (and less offensive to left-leaning folks like me) than whomever they put on to talk sports 1/3 of the time on the other sports station. As soon as I hear that dumb giggle (and most of the time as soon as I hear the update of the scores from the day before) I tune out too. In fact, I have pretty regularly tuned out of all "sports" radio for the past 10 years or so, unless they are talking Patriots or unless there is an actual game on. Too repetitive and dumb for me.

Last edited:
Are they worse than Felger and Mazz?

They are, but in a different way. Felger and Mazz are intentionally inciting rage among the fanbase as a way to drum up ratings, which is agitating, but at least they talk sports for 99% of their show. It's the same reason I like Dale and Holley. I don't mind being angry about an opinion I disagree with, as long as that opinion is about sports (when I'm trying to listen to sports talk that is).

I don't listen to the midday shows because I can't really listen at work, but both morning shows are seemingly something else first and sports as an after thought. I can't even remember the last time I turned on Kirk and Callahan and actually heard a sports take. It's always politics or (more often and more frustratingly) them talking about the host of another show and how stupid they are. It's maddening.

That said, IMO, Toucher and Rich are the lesser of the two morning evils. At least I get their "Last Night" recap during my morning drive.

Can someone please explain to me the appeal of these two and how they've managed to last eight years on the air with 98.5?
I suspect, for the same reasons an utterly gross, horrible, ugly and insulting replacement logo and uniform entirely created by the NFL has remained on our local pro football team the last twenty-four seasons...

...Bandwagoners and newbies jumped on board the Orthwein train in '93, Kraft, as he does with anything the league does, completely endorsed it, and now people falsely associate it with winning since Tom showed up.

Apologies in advance here for starting another Boston sports media gripe fest: Can someone please explain to me the appeal of these two and how they've managed to last eight years on the air with 98.5? I've tried multiple times to give them a chance and each time is an epic fail -- they talk sports only about a third of the time and exhibit little insight or knowledge. Otherwise it's just random blather about minor nothings. Fred Toucher acts/talks like he's half-asleep and Rich Shertenlieb always is giggling about unfunny things like an over-caffeinated frat boy. No talent, no chemistry. Certainly no news or entertainment value. I just don't get it. Perhaps it's a generational thing I'm missing, but it's the worst radio of any kind I've ever heard (and seen on simulcast TV), sports or otherwise. Also, what's with Toucher wearing Detroit Tigers gear all the time?
Listening to them and waiting for something interesting, informative or funny is like waiting for Godot.

I really enjoyed T&R in my morning drive listening days. I think they were a better fit with WBCN as a rock station (Rich, particularly, knows a LOT about rock/metal music).

They have no sacred cows [see, the Pitino "stunt"] They have a decently ironic / self-deprecating / dry sense of humor. I like that they had a lot of enthusiasm about the Bruins prior to the run to the Cup.

Fred wears Detroit stuff because he's from Detroit [though he's a St. Louis Cardinals fan].

I haven't listened to them regularly in some time (no longer on long commutes, in-market) so I can't respond to a statement like the one below with any examples. Maybe they've changed, maybe you're outside of their target demographic (male 25-54).

I think sports coverage is generally in a state of transition - fans have a lot of information at their disposal these days, so shows have had to change away from presenting information to some other model. 98.5 has won the ratings by choosing the T&R model - not sports writers or "experts" of any kind - but more humor and fan-based discussion with occasional real expert segments with important guests like Neely or Ainge calling in.

they talk sports only about a third of the time and exhibit little insight or knowledge. Otherwise it's just random blather about minor nothings. Fred Toucher acts/talks like he's half-asleep and Rich Shertenlieb always is giggling about unfunny things like an over-caffeinated frat boy. No talent, no chemistry. Certainly no news or entertainment value.

I'm not a gig T/R fan but I have to admit, the Townie Jeopardy skit was hirlarious

Apologies in advance here for starting another Boston sports media gripe fest: Can someone please explain to me the appeal of these two and how they've managed to last eight years on the air with 98.5? I've tried multiple times to give them a chance and each time is an epic fail -- they talk sports only about a third of the time and exhibit little insight or knowledge. Otherwise it's just random blather about minor nothings. Fred Toucher acts/talks like he's half-asleep and Rich Shertenlieb always is giggling about unfunny things like an over-caffeinated frat boy. No talent, no chemistry. Certainly no news or entertainment value. I just don't get it. Perhaps it's a generational thing I'm missing, but it's the worst radio of any kind I've ever heard (and seen on simulcast TV), sports or otherwise. Also, what's with Toucher wearing Detroit Tigers gear all the time?

Sometimes I think that if John Belushi had a sports radio show it would sound like T&R. The only shows I listen to are the Holley show and Danny Pickard on the weekend.

Apologies in advance here for starting another Boston sports media gripe fest: Can someone please explain to me the appeal of these two and how they've managed to last eight years on the air with 98.5?

Sure, Tune, I think I can help you out...

I've tried multiple times to give them a chance

And there you have it. Don't like them? Quit listening. That goes for everyone that is doing the same thing as well. Stop posting about them too. When their ratings take a big time ****, they'll be off air.

They suck.

Begrudgingly, Ive completely transitioned to Minny and Callahan. Although when the left wingers are on I go to music or will flip to T&R if there is something immediately interesting.

I do tune in on Tuesdays to T & R around 8:20am when Mike Gorman is on.

For a long time, I was bothered by the fact that I didn't have access to New England sports radio, since I live in Pennsylvania.

After a few years on this board seeing posts like this so often, showing how awful New England sports radio actually is, I've kind of realized I'm lucky I don't have access.

Sure, Tune, I think I can help you out...

And there you have it. Don't like them? Quit listening. That goes for everyone that is doing the same thing as well. Stop posting about them too. When their ratings take a big time ****, they'll be off air.
I have stopped listening to them (not that I ever started to begin with), but my morbid fascination with their utter lack of talent or apparent genuine effort led me to inquire what others see. Apparently, not much.

its a snooze fest. id rather watch bspn :confused:

I don't think they tout themselves as "sports guys" so no biggie.

D&C used to talk about golf instead of football on Monday mornings when they weren't fellating **** Cheney or babbling about the Sox.
They destroyed this market.

There are a lot of frat boy bros around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST