PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Talk Radio and the tone of discussion on NFL message boards

I suspect that Gonzalez does well against large WRs but, maybe, not so good against the small, shify guys, but the Patriots have other guys that can cover them so I think we are good--BB is going scheme so that Gonzalez takes away to big receiver or even TE.

D Hopkins would put them over the finish line.
Their defense isn't very good. No MLB and CB's are nothing special with White declining.

WEEI hired Adam Jones for the afternoon slot to be exactly like Felger, dump on everything every team does, Felger has admitted they make stuff up and don’t believe some of the things they say.
Listen to NFL radio.

D Hopkins would put them over the finish line.
Rather Higgins for a 2nd with conditional 3rd or 4th in '25 with a 5 yr deal,

than DHop for a 4th next year and conditional 4 or 5th in '25 playing on a 3 year renegotiated deal. He's in the danger zone for a WR age wise.

WEEI hired Adam Jones for the afternoon slot to be exactly like Felger, dump on everything every team does, Felger has admitted they make stuff up and don’t believe some of the things they say.
Listen to NFL radio.
I just listen to podcasts, but one of my partners at work always has 98.5 on in his office. I probably spend at least 30 minutes a day in there reviewing work stuff, and sometimes I'll guess what idiotic take they will come up with before I head in and they rarely surprise me. Their hot takes don't bother me, it's just surprising that folks listen to something so manipulative and obvious all day.

You asked for the facts, as in what did gasper list. Again, give his segment a listen if you’d like them

I’m for everybody giving opinions, I take some more seriously than others, like you.

I hope you don’t take any opinion on this board seriously if your criteria is the above. I’m also not telling you to agree or disagree with anybody you don’t want

Gaspers opinion was formed with statistics from Gonzales’ year, PFF grades and a coaches criticism. Not sure how else somebody can form an opinion.
I'm glad you find value in Gasper's opinion.

I suspect that Gonzalez does well against large WRs but, maybe, not so good against the small, shify guys, but the Patriots have other guys that can cover them so I think we are good--BB is going scheme so that Gonzalez takes away to big receiver or even TE.
One thing we have to remember, is that some on the radio and even here on these message boards, don’t understand the concept of improvement. Players can improve on their weaknesses, when they are drafted, they aren’t necessarily the finished product.

Gonzalez is 20 years old. His talent level equates to a ceiling level that is really high. Then add in the history of the Patriots have historically been excellent at coaching up DBs with talent. Jonathon Jones, Malcolm Butler, JC Jackson. Butler and Jackson became Pro Bowlers and have been voted as 2nd team All Pro in 2016 and 2021 respectively. Gonzalez has been their best 1st round pick in ages. I’m not worried about a few bad games in college.

I just listen to podcasts, but one of my partners at work always has 98.5 on in his office. I probably spend at least 30 minutes a day in there reviewing work stuff, and sometimes I'll guess what idiotic take they will come up with before I head in and they rarely surprise me. Their hot takes don't bother me, it's just surprising that folks listen to something so manipulative and obvious all day.
Sometimes I will switch on the radio to see if they are having a real discussion about sports or if they are throwing sh*t against the wall. I normally last five minutes and then switch it to Sirius radio.

I pay no attention to Sports Talk Radio. I respect that its commentators are just trying to earn a living. I just don't listen.

I doubt the Krafts worry much about it either (even though they probably pay someone to monitor it, just in case something libelous is said). With a Season Ticket renewal rate of around 98 or 99%, a waitlist of 20 years for Season Tickets and a loyal fan base, I don't think they waste much time worrying about what is said there.
If people find it entertaining, I'm happy that they have the outlet. No big deal. Just not my thing.

I've made the switch to podcasts exclusively as well. It's much easier to pick and choose ones that you feel are being fair and balanced. I like Catch-22 with Lazar and Barth, but even they have started veering into extreme knee-jerk takes sometimes (which makes sense with the draft, because they pour so much time into researching it, it must feel like a waste when they don't pick the guys they like). I also like Phil Perry's Next Pats, because it tends to focus more on just learning who these young guys are and what their potential could be, rather than, "Yeah but they could have had X, Y, or Z..."

Slim pickings in general though for tempered, informative Patriots talk. Any suggestions?

I don't believe BB when he says something to the press unless it's about football history. That said, I don't think that Mac was on the trading block in any serious way...if at all.

I also don't listen to sports talk radio. Gave it up over 5 years ago. One of the best decisions I ever made.
I think everyone/anyone is on the trading block with Bill if other teams offer enough

thats what blows my mind

Felger (and it sounds like Adam Jones as well, but i wouldnt know i never have or will listen to him) is like the WWF of radio.. its all fake contrarian BS to stir up artificial drama... and despite knowing that, people still tune in and listen

absolutely fascinating, and sad.

I've made the switch to podcasts exclusively as well. It's much easier to pick and choose ones that you feel are being fair and balanced. I like Catch-22 with Lazar and Barth, but even they have started veering into extreme knee-jerk takes sometimes (which makes sense with the draft, because they pour so much time into researching it, it must feel like a waste when they don't pick the guys they like). I also like Phil Perry's Next Pats, because it tends to focus more on just learning who these young guys are and what their potential could be, rather than, "Yeah but they could have had X, Y, or Z..."

Slim pickings in general though for tempered, informative Patriots talk. Any suggestions?

Perry and Lazar are what I listen to as well, and for a national perspective I listen to moving the chains. I follow Miguel on Twitter and will tune into various podcasts that he's on. I also like Taylor Kyles a recent hire at CLNS and who appears on Patriots Press Pass.

? Curran has said repeatedly that Mac Jones isn't going to be traded and will be the QB for the Pats this year.

That's good/fair info, stuff I had not seen.

Instead what I've seen here and elsewhere is people running with his "Bill is pissed" comments that were made on WEEI.

It seems to me he had plenty of opportunity to tuck in the lines you mention (MJ is QB1 and is not going to be traded) in that tirade but he left that open ended, as did the NBC article I linked above:

Whether Belichick actually intends to trade Jones this offseason or just wants to put some heat on his third-year quarterback remains unclear.

Note NBC is Tom's main TV gig and Florio's as well, they were running with the "Bill is pissed" narrative.

IMO Curran knew exactly what he was doing on WEEI: stirring the pot. Your link where he states Mac isn't going to be traded makes me think again about one thing I dislike about Curran: he wants to be both pot-stirrer and respected journalist at the same time. One day he's a gossip columnist saying BB is pissed, another day he acts like a trusted analyst by saying he won't be traded. Unlike Felger, he can't make himself go full-on heel, but IMO when he switches back and forth he breaks character and loses credibility. IMO he needs to pick a role and stick to it.

Reiss was on this morning and was excellent

And Merloni said he left the gig because he got sick of having a negative take on everything that came down the road.

thats what blows my mind

Felger (and it sounds like Adam Jones as well, but i wouldnt know i never have or will listen to him) is like the WWF of radio.. its all fake contrarian BS to stir up artificial drama... and despite knowing that, people still tune in and listen

absolutely fascinating, and sad.
Exactly right. As PT Barnum (who was a slimeball who ran a circus) once said, there's a sucker born every minute. Talk radio reels 'em in.

The Curran/Perry podcast used to be my go-to Pats podcast, but it became unlistenable as Curran leaned more and more into narratives. I think he's good when he sticks to on-the-field stuff and off-the-field stuff he knows to be true, but when he starts trying to interpret off-the-field stuff he becomes just another Felger, and not a good one at that.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back