PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's Up With Sports Radio?

I am not one to start threads, but I felt like this question needed to be asked. Why is sports radio so bad?? I should preface by saying I do have podcasts I listen to that occupy my time when driving or going for a run, but every now and then, its just easier to turn on the radio and listen to the Sports Hub or WEEI. I'm sure there are others who feel the same. But I would say about 90% of the time, I'm always questioning why I decided to turn it on in the first place. And it's not about the stations' negativity or anything like that, but rather the content and topics of conversation. It's awful. They don't talk about anything. Today, I listened to about a 20-minute segment on both stations. The topics centered around food, obscure music from the 00's, and the solar eclipse. To me, it's pretty clear both stations mail it in on Sundays, but come on. Nothing about the Final Four or either championship game? The Masters this week? The Bruins, Celtics, or Sox? The draft? If a show does a little fluff for 30-seconds coming back from a break, I'm fine with it. But my biggest pet peeve is a show that plays a song coming back from break, and then spends the next five minutes talking about that song, or the band, or a concert they went to seeing that band. It drives me crazy.

The only shows I will regularly listen to when they're on are Ken and Curtis on WEEI and Felger and Mazz. At least I know what I'm getting with both of those shows, which is sports topics the entire time. I don't know any other show that can say that. And its not just a Boston thing. I've tried other cities on the Audacy app and hear the same stuff. I've only been in MA since 2014, so I missed shows like The Big Show back in the day. I'm just curious if anyone feels the same way I do.
Felger & Mazz are the only show on the Sports Hub which they are on topic the entire team with regard to stories surrounding the local teams. Whatever you might say about them they do a really good job not drifting off into non-sports topics that no one gives a **** about.

its all about hot takes and negativity. if you listen to felger/mazz you would think the celtics/bruins are trash and not 2 of the top teams in their leagues.
Nah they don’t. Well I don’t know about the Bruins but they (Felger) has been saying they are the best team in the league for about three years now and should have won it in 2022, 2023 and this year. He has even stated that as a player he thinks Tatum is a top 2 player in the league which I happen to disagree with currently.

The show’s narrative is mostly that they don’t have the balls to finish the job. And to be honest they haven't been proven wrong yet. He wasn’t wrong about the Bruins last year either…

I’m pretty sure that Fred Who Didn’t go to Dartmouth is Angelo From Everett, but I don’t like to bring it up because his split from Deb was too public and hurtful.

You do have a very valid point. Unfortunately it isn't just radio, all entertainment has degenerated to click or die.
My interest in entertainment media began to wane in the mid-90s and is now mostly gone. Good job, intuition :thumbsup:

Felger & Mazz are the only show on the Sports Hub which they are on topic the entire team with regard to stories surrounding the local teams. Whatever you might say about them they do a really good job not drifting off into non-sports topics that no one gives a **** about.
kudos to you for being able to tolerate mazz's voice and felcher's boston hate/milwaukee love. i give them a shot every now and then and i can't do it. boston sports talk radio hosts are wanna be shock jocks but they're more like jock itch. hate must sell.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back