PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomlin is a joke

I'm floored with how many actually think Tomlin is a good coach. The guy is one step away from being Rex Ryan and is saved by his F.O./Ownership & O.C.

Please tell me how great his defensive mind is after years & years of drafting defense heavy?

Forget about in game adjustments. Does he even have a plan pre game?

The guy is lucky hes in the circumstances hes in and I'll leave it there.

Last edited:
He was FURIOUSLY signaling for a time out. Maybe he didn’t want a timeout, by Monday.
Big Ben needed the TO to get his fat ass down the field and to figure out their goal line offense for the little time they had left. It was not a problem to call a TO there, except for the fact that it was their last one (another mistake the Pats almost never make [and get pissed off when they have to] - burning TOs early in the half). If the ref called it by accident (which I don't believe) it's because he couldn't believe they would be so dumb not to do so. However, the Squeelers then proceeded to mess up their clock management by: 1) standing around doing nothing [like coming up with a contingency if it's overturned] when their apparent score on 1st down was taking a LONG time to be confirmed; 2) becoming unhinged when the score was overturned according to a rule Mike Tomlin put in and should know about, especially when he looks at the tape; 3) calling for (or at least only completing on a check down) a short pass IN BOUNDS on 2nd down, resulting in a 4) forced scramble to the line where the coaches were overruling eachother in Ben's ear and almost all the players did not get the correct play call; and then, the piece de resistance (sp?) 5) Big Ben trying to play the big hero and throwing a slant pass to the one receiver running a pattern who was quadruple covered in the middle of the EZ. I see about 10 or 12 coaching/player mistakes in that sequence, the least of which is calling your last time out when you've just completed a 70 yd. play. Nice try, Squeelers.

All Steelers fans are obnoxious. They literally can't handle it that the Pats have become the greatest Dynasty of all time. I'm not going to lie though the Steelers have been extremely successful at the same time as this Brady/Belichick era. They are the 60s Lakers to the 60s Celtics. Years from now it will always be "if it weren't for the Pats" how many Super Bowls would we have won.
I've noticed it is Steelers fans and Cowboys fans who hate us the most. They are jealous. We are what they used to be, and it burns them.

I can't wait to see all these people in the league clamoring for a rule change to actually get into a room in the offseason and try to figure it out. It's... not going to well for them. It's a lot easier to be against a rule than to actually come up with a superior replacement.

Big Ben needed the TO to get his fat ass down the field and to figure out their goal line offense for the little time they had left. It was not a problem to call a TO there, except for the fact that it was their last one (another mistake the Pats almost never make [and get pissed off when they have to] - burning TOs early in the half). If the ref called it by accident (which I don't believe) it's because he couldn't believe they would be so dumb not to do so. However, the Squeelers then proceeded to mess up their clock management by: 1) standing around doing nothing [like coming up with a contingency if it's overturned] when their apparent score on 1st down was taking a LONG time to be confirmed; 2) becoming unhinged when the score was overturned according to a rule Mike Tomlin put in and should know about, especially when he looks at the tape; 3) calling for (or at least only completing on a check down) a short pass IN BOUNDS on 2nd down, resulting in a 4) forced scramble to the line where the coaches were overruling eachother in Ben's ear and almost all the players did not get the correct play call; and then, the piece de resistance (sp?) 5) Big Ben trying to play the big hero and throwing a slant pass to the one receiver running a pattern who was quadruple covered in the middle of the EZ. I see about 10 or 12 coaching/player mistakes in that sequence, the least of which is calling your last time out when you've just completed a 70 yd. play. Nice try, Squeelers.
How much time would have been left if they did pass up the time out and line up and clock it? They may not have had time to run the plays they did.

I can't wait to see all these people in the league clamoring for a rule change to actually get into a room in the offseason and try to figure it out. It's... not going to well for them. It's a lot easier to be against a rule than to actually come up with a superior replacement.

If Mike Tomlin gets the rule changed what is the league going to say to all the Lion and Cowboy fans?

"Your team would've gone to the Super Bowl under the new rule "

Tomlin does a decent job managing personalities and has created/managed a decent culture in Pitt......too much running their mouths and un-earned swagger for my taste, but he does a nice job there......he's kind of like joe torre, handed the keys to a fine sports car, keeps it nicely waxed and tuned up

as an in-game coach, he makes andy reid look decisive and prepared; he's been lucky to have good assistants around him

depends on what you want out of your HC........we are spoiled

he's a decent modern football coach in that he holds a bunch of coddled, ego centric personalities together fairly well

we just happen to have the GOAT who has created a culture of team first, perparation and winning, so we're jaded
Tomlin no doubt has had success but it’s hard to know how much is really due to him.
I put cowher in exactly the same boat.
I know for a fact (I have friends and relatives in the coaching fraternity and hear rumors once in a while and this was from a cowher offensive assistant) that cowher never even looked at the offensive playbook and knew none of the plays. I assume the same on d because he had lebeau and capers running it.
I imagine Tomlin is much the same.
So while being he man in charge, setting he time, driving the message and relying on assistants to run the o and d and sts is certainly a way to coach ( I see John harbaugh the same way) I think you are so reliant on having great assistants that it’s hard to call that a great coach.
Additionally they have done a good job handing him groceries for his assistants to develop.
Interesting topic.
Here is my question
If the Steelers had hired a guy like capers and Tomlin went to Houston would capers (or someone else) be sitting in Pitt right now with the same or better track record and would Tomlin be out of work?

I'm floored with how many actually think Tomlin is a good coach. The guy is one step away from being Rex Ryan and is saved by his F.O./Ownership & O.C.

Please tell me how great his defensive mind is after years & years of drafting defense heavy?

Forget about in game adjustments. Does he even have a plan pre game?

The guy is lucky is in the circumstances hes in and I'll leave it there.

The evidence is compelling, if not overwhelming that Tomlin is weak in in-game strategy and tactics.

#cheerleadertomlin

Tomlin is great when updating the press with team injuries

I think Ben also said he did not want a time out but it was called by the ref by accident. The refs are the biggest joke so I don't doubt this.
Sorry, Mosi, but this wasn't the refs fault at all. Ben is CLEARLY signalling for a TO for about 10 yds as he ran to the new LOS. What's the ref to do. The QB DOES have a right to call a TO. It does NOT have to come from the sidelines. That's what makes Ben and Tomlin's questioning of the refs so ridiculous.

What WOULD have been a good criticism of the refs, would have been if Corrente HADN'T called the TO when he did.

BTW- Calling TO was probably the right call since it would have taken a lot of extra time to get the team to the LOS after that long run. IIRC Romo was calling for a TO on the air while Ben was signaling for one. He thought the TO then, even though it was the last one, was the right call.

In the end, how much time the Steelers had to get into the endzone is irrelevant. TO or not, they had plenty of time to get some shots to get into the endzone. It's what they DID with that time is what should be in question, especially the 3+ minutes they had while the replay was going on.

Last edited:
Yeah, someone pointed out yesterday that most of the team was still only at the 50 yard line when the timeout was granted. The could have burned most of the clock just getting down there and lining up.

NfL films had the audio of him. It seems he knew the situation but Haley and Roeth started hyperventilating and lost their heads.

At any rate, Tomlin needs to lead and make sure his guys can execute and he failed.

I find it interesting that they have 8 pro bowlers. Well they can all go together to Orlando.
Imagine if they had BB coaching that team instead of the dysunction they have now.
Sorry, Mosi, but this wasn't the refs fault at all. Ben is CLEARLY signalling for a TO for about 10 yds as he ran to the new LOS. What's the ref to do. The QB DOES have a right to call a TO. It does NOT have to come from the sidelines. That's what makes Ben and Tomlin's questioning of the refs so ridiculous.

What WOULD have been a good criticism of the refs, would have been if Corrente HADN'T called the TO when he did.

BTW- Calling TO was probably the right call since it would have taken a lot of extra time to get the team to the LOS after that long run. IIRC Romo was calling for a TO on the air while Ben was signaling for one. He thought the TO then, even though it was the last one, was the right call.

In the end, how much time the Steelers had to get into the endzone is irrelevant. TO or not, they had plenty of time to get some shots to get into the endzone. It's what they DID with that time is what should be in question, especially the 3+ minutes they had while the replay was going on.
I think the TO was the right call, not having a plan after the overturned TD, was the f#ck up. They had almost 3 minutes while waiting for the review to have a plan. They clearly did not as evidenced by their comments and NFL audio. That's on Tomlin, the crying after is just their culture.

I've noticed it is Steelers fans and Cowboys fans who hate us the most. They are jealous. We are what they used to be, and it burns them.
True, but the Cowboys have done nothing during the Brady Belichick era. The Steelers have been significantly very strong compared to the rest of the league. They have won 2 Super Bowls during the Patriot Dynasty years, appeared in a third, and then also were denied 3 times at the door by the Pats.. (Soon to be 4)

That has to be annoying as hell. Then they have games like Sunday happen too.

I don't think he's dumb at all. The people paying him millions are, but he's not. He's just not a very good coach (in addition to being an ***hole.)

um hmmmm. If Tomlin was as good a coach as he is as big of an ***hole he would be Don Shula who (now that I think about it) is actually an even bigger ***hole than Tomlin.

Hey, isnt that like a ***hole paradox or something?

Tomlin actually cheated by tripping a kick returner during a game. Never forget.
That is pretty dumb. Or maybe he is really intelligent and just ****y and nefarious?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back