PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben blames the sidelines for botched fake spike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given there was sufficient time on the clock to run both a play and a kick, it was sheer folly to attempt a game winning 3rd down play from a "spike the ball" formation.

Kinda like when people can't delineate between being acquitted of charges and NO CHARGES being filed.

You sure don't know how these cases tend to go down, do you?

Here's what it comes down to:

The Patriots were totally prepared for the Steelers' play. The Steelers were not prepared for the Steelers' play!

This was a classic game-on-the-line situation. Down three points, 3rd and goal to go, 16 seconds on the clock. Time for one quick shot at the end zone to end the game, if it's not there throw it away fast and bring in the PK. The Patriots' defense knew that, and the Patriots' offense sure as hell would have known that.

But the Steelers? Their QB is arguing with his coordinator over what to do, the receivers are milling about unsure of whether to run routes, and when the play starts to go south the QB forces a pass into quadruple coverage as if time has already run out. As if the team had never practiced this situation. Steelers' fans should be furious at their coaching staff for the team being so woefully unversed in situational football.

LameWeeper mirrors Ben"s butthurt to a tee.

Here's what it comes down to:

The Patriots were totally prepared for the Steelers' play. The Steelers were not prepared for the Steelers' play!

This was a classic game-on-the-line situation. Down three points, 3rd and goal to go, 16 seconds on the clock. Time for one quick shot at the end zone to end the game, if it's not there throw it away fast and bring in the PK. The Patriots' defense knew that, and the Patriots' offense sure as hell would have known that.

But the Steelers? Their QB is arguing with his coordinator over what to do, the receivers are milling about unsure of whether to run routes, and when the play starts to go south the QB forces a pass into quadruple coverage as if time has already run out. As if the team had never practiced this situation. Steelers' fans should be furious at their coaching staff for the team being so woefully unversed in situational football.

You bring up something that I thought of (and I'm sure has been mentioned in other threads), but bears repeating every time: Even leaving Rowe's coverage and Harmon's opportunistic hands out of it, the entire defense played that play PERFECTLY, like they'd had it drilled into them. They all knew instinctively that the play was going to have to come out fast, so the rushers didn't even bother going after Ben. They got as far upfield as they could push in .5 seconds then threw their giant mitts in the air. They knew if the play went any longer than that, only bad things could happen for the Steelers.

Situational football is a strength on this team, as much as the detractors try to claim it's merely a weakness on other teams.

I wonder if Rogers ran the wrong route. It looked like Ben was expecting him to run a fade and had to recock it and throw into the teeth of the defense.

I wonder if Rogers ran the wrong route. It looked like Ben was expecting him to run a fade and had to recock it and throw into the teeth of the defense.
This doesn't really matter. If the route isn't there just gun it out of the EZ. He stared into quintuple coverage and still decided to unload it. Mind-boggling decision.

This doesn't really matter. If the route isn't there just gun it out of the EZ. He stared into quintuple coverage and still decided to unload it. Mind-boggling decision.

There were 6-7 seconds on the clock when Ben got the snap. Make a quick throw if someone is open or throw it away. Still plenty of time for a FG.

No, they went into this on nfl network Ben made a signal to the WR and he immediately ran the slant. Also if he ran the wrong route why would you throw it

I don't think it matters really. He still threw the ball.

He tried to be a hero and thread the needle when he should have thrown it away after he saw 3 Patriots around Rogers

Its 100% on him.

No accountability.

Idiot.

I mean, just to highlight how insane that throw was. This is what Roethlisberger was looking at before he released it:
k5x5VEsh.jpg

Rogers is bracketed by Rowe and McCourty. Richards is also in front of him and Butler and Harmon are also in the vicinity. No other Pittsburgh player was moving a step out of the LOS. I wasn't kidding when I said it was quintuple coverage.

The idea to run a fake spike wasn't flawed. Not communicating it properly with the guys on the field and throwing to a guy who was triple covered was the problem. Coulda chucked the thing out of the end zone.

Wouldn't that lead to a potential grounding penalty with a ten-second runoff? See: Brady in Seattle in 2012.

I mean, just to highlight how insane that throw was. This is what Roethlisberger was looking at before he released it:
k5x5VEsh.jpg

Rogers is bracketed by Rowe and McCourty. Richards is also in front of him and Butler and Harmon are also in the vicinity. No other Pittsburgh player was moving a step out of the LOS. I wasn't kidding when I said it was quintuple coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case