PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on DeVante Parker

It's looking like Mac likes to throw to Bourne, doesn't it? He always does when he's in there
I just dont think he can get the hang of Parker, although the OP makes the point about separation, and it's not like he was blowing past people (although on both the longer throws to him, he definitey got farther downfield than Mac threw it.) But he can hit Agholor downfield.

I just dont think he can get the hang of Parker, although the OP makes the point about separation, and it's not like he was blowing past people (although on both the longer throws to him, he definitey got farther downfield than Mac threw it.) But he can hit Agholor downfield.
So far. I'm concerned with Parker

So far. I'm concerned with Parker
I don't know the Bourne story, obviously, none of us do... maybe he did something bad on Holiday. But even if we assume Bourne doesn't get the 50-some snaps, I can damn well put together the 50 snaps between him and Thornton when he returns. But I don't think he's anywhere near out of runway yet.

Don't disagree, it just the way around New England. But from what I gathered, this is the biggest tangible thing, but there were multiple reports of him being... lackadaisical? Is this the word?

In any case, I don't think we'll be seeing a WR that can't catch the ball for much longer either
It shouldn't be that way anymore is my point. We don't have that luxury anymore like we did for 20 years when Brady was turning C- level receivers into B- level receivers. We need to utilize every bit of talent we have available and not hold grudges over minor things a month later. So far I have only seen the one report from Curran about Bourne being late to that meeting but if it is an ongoing thing I assume we would see more reports of character issues by now.

If we look back at the last 20 years or so, we always seem to have that wide receiver, that underproduces.

Starting with givens, who has sine success, but not considered fast enough. To chad Jackson, who was faster , but not smart enough to learn the play book. Bethel Johnson was really fast and has a little success. We’d had rookies, veterans and everything in between under produce at that wide receiver spot.

The only constant more or less is the system. My question is what if it is not the players, but the system?

It just seems the routes for this one wide receiver position are basic, lack creativity and easily covered by one corner and that’s why all these wide receivers not named givens or Lafell have had so much trouble making an impact.

If we look back at the last 20 years or so, we always seem to have that wide receiver, that underproduces.

Starting with givens, who has sine success, but not considered fast enough.

??????????????????????????????????????????????

Givens didn't under produce.

The only constant more or less is the system. My question is what if it is not the players, but the system?

That's a legit question. Is the system holding the wide receivers back? Why did BB decide to change it this year?

I do know that the old system rarely produced record breaking numbers for individuals barring exceptional players like Randy Moss, Gronkowski or near elite slot receivers like Welker and Edelman. Certainly it's not designed to make any one receiver stand out. It was probably created with the idea of spreading the ball to 5 targets, and the best guy is the open one.

Still hard to blame the system by the overall stats, because when it had elite players, the offense produced so many points. It's been a long time since the Randy Moss/Welker and the Gronk+Criminal dominating days, but boy was the offense scary with the goat, TB12 leading it.

I'm not sure if the 'new system' is a lot different from the old system other than terminology and adding some zone blocking elements. Has anyone found a breakdown comparing 2022 to 2021 offense? There's a very small sample size so far so it's difficult to definitively call the 2022 offense as better or worse than 2021 offense yet, we just know that the players are struggling and it shows in the output we're seeing.

That's a legit question. Is the system holding the wide receivers back? Why did BB decide to change it this year?

I do know that the old system rarely produced record breaking numbers for individuals barring exceptional players like Randy Moss, Gronkowski or near elite slot receivers like Welker and Edelman. Certainly it's not designed to make any one receiver stand out. It was probably created with the idea of spreading the ball to 5 targets, and the best guy is the open one.

The old system played out quite well for the likes of David Patten, Deion Branch, Troy Brown, David Givens, Danny Amendola, Brandon Lloyd, etc....

I said this in pre-season, it's clear Parker is slow and not shifty in his breaks, which is why he has ZERO separation.
I don't know why they're forcing him the reps while leaving Bourne on the shelf - who has spent a year gaining chemistry with Mac.
Just stupid. No logic, or magic coaching whispering. It's just petty and stupid.

??????????????????????????????????????????????

Givens didn't under produce.

Givens was a 7th round draft pick, who played 4 years for the Pats, made 158 receptions, 12 TDs, plus another 7TD catches in his 8 playoff games!

and oh, yead two SB wins.

I'd take that production from a 7th round pick anytime.

It's a little disappointing he hasn't been more productive but you can say that about multiple players on offense.
This ^

I'd also add Mac has had a bad habit the first two games of under throwing or attempting 50/50 balls to both Parker and Agholor when he should have thrown to a deeper part of the field, these guys had the defender behind them and they had to slow down for the ball. The interception in the end zone in week one and the TD catch Agholor made last week are two good examples.

Both Parker and Agholor ran 4.4. forties, these guys have speed. Throw to spots on the field ahead of them and make them go get it. Not everything has to be a 50/50 ball or a comeback route.

The limited number of red zone opportunities is hurting Parker more than anyone. Hopefully that will change starting today.

Everybody better strap it up down or on, Meyers is out according to some tweet somebody shared

Need some Parker, need some Bourne, even need some Humphreys

This ^

I'd also add Mac has had a bad habit the first two games of under throwing or attempting 50/50 balls to both Parker and Agholor when he should have thrown to a deeper part of the field, these guys had the defender behind them and they had to slow down for the ball. The interception in the end zone in week one and the TD catch Agholor made last week are two good examples.

Both Parker and Agholor ran 4.4. forties, these guys have speed. Throw to spots on the field ahead of them and make them go get it. Not everything has to be a 50/50 ball or a comeback route.
Totally. He needs to give his playmakers a bit better chance at a non -contested catch by throwing it where they can chase it down away from the defender.

Totally. He needs to give his playmakers a bit better chance at a non -contested catch by throwing it where they can chase it down away from the defender.
When I visited practice and from what everything I read this offseason they worked a lot on back shoulder throws... which is fine, but not every throw is a 50/50 ball and an attempt at drawing a flag... which is what I think they're thought process is here. And just because Parker thrives on 50/50 balls doesn't mean every time is a good time to throw one.

The week one interception in the end zone would have been a TD or the ball would have sailed out of bounds if Mac threw it to the back corner of the end zone instead of floating a 50/50 ball. Yes, Parker was being held, but as the road team and they should have made the safer smarter play on first down.

The TD catch by Agholor last week was magnificent, but it was entirely unnecessary. If Mac puts the ball right on the goal line instead of floating it up so Nelson has to slow down, he would have waltzed into the end zone untouched. There's an element of timing missing from this offense. Mac needs to slow down, scan the field and be better with his decision making.

Parker showed he can be a quality wr like many already knew. He also showed is he isn't a walking cheat code that catches unnecessary hail mary passes, but Mac hasn't got that memo. He is quick for a big dude, but hasn't shown any willingness to jump. Don't throw jump balls to guys that don't jump duh.

Glad to have been wrong about him. Unfortunate mac is probably looking at a long absence they really had it going today.

Starting with givens, who has sine success, but not considered fast enough. To chad Jackson, who was faster , but not smart enough to learn the play book. Bethel Johnson was really fast and has a little success. We’d had rookies, veterans and everything in between under produce at that wide receiver spot.

It just seems the routes for this one wide receiver position are basic, lack creativity and easily covered by one corner and that’s why all these wide receivers not named givens or Lafell have had so much trouble making an impact.
I think it's the fact we don't bring in enough WRs.

We've brought in guys who have had success, like Welker, Moss, LaFell, Amendola, Cooks in his one year, heck even Hogan could play in this system.

But other than Moss we haven't brought in anyone dominant, nor have we drafted anyone like that.

It's the lack of emphasis on spending resources at the position.

All these guys like Chad Jackson, Aaron Dobson, Bethel Johnson, Taylor Price, etc., went to other teams and... did nothing.

I can't think of a single WR who couldn't play for the Patriots but COULD play for other teams. Not one.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back