PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on DeVante Parker

Ball went to Stevenson for a 4 yard gain. It could have gone to Parker at the bottom or Meyers at the top. I only saw a couple of these on All 22.

giphy-downsized-large.gif
That’s a screen pass. Mac isn’t looking for anyone other then the RB. There’s no progression on a screen. Also, once the defenders realize very quickly it’s a screen they leave the guy they are covering.

Parker and Meyers are open and a pump fake would have demolished the Steelers on that play.
It’s a screen. Parker and Meyers aren’t options on a screen. It’s a play designed to go to the RB only. If he passes it to Parker or Meyers we are flagged for the linemen being down field.

It’s a screen. Parker and Meyers aren’t options on a screen. It’s a play designed to go to the RB only. If he passes it to Parker or Meyers we are flagged for the linemen being down field.
Well crap lol. Thanks.

Parker can't get separation, and Mac has been told to throw the ball to him anyway. Blaming the QB for the resultant problems is ridiculous.

In the end, the ball's still in Mac's hand... He needs to shoulder some - certainly not all, and likely not even half - of the blame too.

Also, it’s a designed screen you can see the lineman leak out to block for it. Parker probably wasn’t even a real option on that play.

Yep, there is no option #2 on a screen... If the play's not there, then the QB usually just throws the ball to the ground...

So, the goal is for Agholor, Myers, Bourne and Parker to ALL be in the top 3 in the depth chart.

One of these is the #4. I don't care who it is.

As of now, Parker should be the Obvious #4... at best.

Captain, last year Agholar took a lot of abuse from fans, don't hear that anymore. I have a feeling we are going to need to give Parker some time. Agholar is really coming into his own, I would expect the same things from Parker as well. Not sure how long it will take, but I think it will happen.

So?

Why can't we CELEBRATE the fact that we have 5 WR's, 2 TE's and 2 WR's who are receivers (plus two on IR). Why does it matter who is getting more reps in any given week?
=====
For me, the key is game plan, play calling and execution (especially by our QB). We have sufficient tools on Offense to be a playoff team.

Not going to give up on the guy now, but yeah it definitely was an indicator on how they feel about him trading him in division.e
eehh, they traded wes welker to the patriots too back in 2007 and look how that turned out. Give him and Mac some more time its only two games into the season. It is kind of funny that early in training camp, media was talking positively about the connection that Mac had with Parker and now, not so much. "Its not as bad or good as it seems, usually somewhere in the middle"

Captain, last year Agholar took a lot of abuse from fans, don't hear that anymore. I have a feeling we are going to need to give Parker some time. Agholar is really coming into his own, I would expect the same things from Parker as well. Not sure how long it will take, but I think it will happen.

So?

Why can't we CELEBRATE the fact that we have 5 WR's, 2 TE's and 2 WR's who are receivers (plus two on IR). Why does it matter who is getting more reps in any given week?
=====
For me, the key is game plan, play calling and execution (especially by our QB). We have sufficient tools on Offense to be a playoff team.

I'm all for giving Parker more time to acclimate...on the bench, while Bourne - Agholor - Meyers are given the lion's share of WR snaps.

So?

=====

The only WR change from last year*, when it was universally acknowledged that the WR corps was not good enough, is Parker.

*Rookies on IR obviously don't count

The only WR change from last year*, when it was universally acknowledged that the WR corps was not good enough, is Parker.

*Rookies on IR obviously don't count
I mean there are only so many roster spots devoted to WR.

The 3 WRs we did bring back right now are our top performers.

Swap out a blocker for a blocker kneal to Lil Jordan.

And obviously we still have our second RD rookie coming back.

Parker needs to get his crap together but I don't think there's a lack of investment in the position. God help us if both flame out and by us I mean the board lol.

I mean there are only so many roster spots devoted to WR.

The 3 WRs we did bring back right now are our top performers.

Are you claiming that's a good thing?

Swap out a blocker for a blocker kneal to Lil Jordan.

And obviously we still have our second RD rookie coming back.

Parker needs to get his crap together but I don't think there's a lack of investment in the position. God help us if both flame out and by us I mean the board lol.

It depends on what you mean by "investment". This team is spending money on lower tier receivers rather than on upper tier receivers. Whether or not that's what we should be calling "investment" is something that people will differ in their opinions about. Personally, I'd agree with the idea that they've invested recently in terms of draft capital (Harry and the rookie are high round picks since 2019), but I'd say that they tried to be cute with the FA money spent when they should have been more aggressive about getting the top tier WRs via free agency or in trades.

Parker open at the bottom (Mac went over the middle instead and got 4 yards to someone else)...

View attachment 45513

EDIT: Whoops - should have kept reading the thread as you posted it, too!

On second look, Parker wasn't truly open, although it would've taken some 'nads to fake the screen to Dre to throw to Parker (once his man committed) with 2 Steelers coming unblocked right at him, as it looked to be a screen from the get go.

DPar.gif

Are you claiming that's a good thing?

It depends on what you mean by "investment". This team is spending money on lower tier receivers rather than on upper tier receivers. Whether or not that's what we should be calling "investment" is something that people will differ in their opinions about. Personally, I'd agree with the idea that they've invested recently in terms of draft capital (Harry and the rookie are high round picks since 2019), but I'd say that they tried to be cute with the FA money spent when they should have been more aggressive about getting the top tier WRs via free agency or in trades.
I like the 3 we did bring back so I'd say they got that right.

As far as the investment I'm not going to argue they didn't invest in upper tier receivers but I wouldn't call a 2nd Rd pick or Parker a lower tier investment either.

Parker is playing like a lower tier player or even worse than that but at the time they made the move I don't think anyone would have said Parker is a low tier player and he better start playing like we expected and I think he will.

I like the 3 we did bring back so I'd say they got that right.

As far as the investment I'm not going to argue they didn't invest in upper tier receivers but I wouldn't call a 2nd Rd pick or Parker a lower tier investment either.

Parker is playing like a lower tier player or even worse than that but at the time they made the move I don't think anyone would have said Parker is a low tier player and he better start playing like we expected and I think he will.

Parker and a 5th for a later 3rd, and a contract of

1663718150612.png

is absolutely not a high tier investment.

There's a reason Miami was ok trading him in the division. He is an improvement over Harry no doubt but hardly what most of us expected.

In short, our search for WRs should not stop at Thorton.
Is he really an improvement over Harry thus far?! I’m pulling for the guy but so far I’m not seeing much

Is he really an improvement over Harry thus far?! I’m pulling for the guy but so far I’m not seeing much
I do not believe the issue is all him. Agholor is suddenly an import part of the offense now? Mac is young...he was a rookie last year. Their are changes to the offense more so then usual. And their is a new OC. I'm just saying the problem is not Parker 100% IMO.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back