PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lazar's summary of training camp

IF Connor McDermott is pushing for Starter that means we have horrible depth. Let's hope that doesn't come to fruition because Mac won't be able to avoid the pressure coming from McDermott's side. Happy feet Mac won't be a very good Mac.

I hope the team doesn't overthink OL if Mafi is a starting caliber guard his rookie year. There seems to be a misconception that Onwenu is an average RT & an elite RG. He was actually a very good RT, average LG & elite RG.

486 snaps at RT
3 sacks, 1 hit, 10 hurries
98.1 pass blocking efficiency (10th/92)
0 penalties

Brown
Strange
Andrews
Mafi
Onwenu

Why leave a starting caliber player on the bench & play a JAG RT instead of having your five best OL out there?

That's facts nothing is scary about what Anderson said. He's just grateful for the gift of life as we all should be. :)
I hope you’re right

Mapu can play safety but why? He’s waaaay more valuable to the team as a linebacker and that’s Lazar’s point. I’ve heard him speak about this often actually regarding Mapu and I 100% agree. The team needs an inside LB that can cover, move sideline to sideline and spy QB’s. Mapu is going to be a good one.

"Marte Mapu is a linebacker."

Amen. He's not a S where I don't want to see him wasted at. Let's not do Pat Chung at FS all over again.

I don’t see any issue in position flexibility. If he can go between LB and SS that just gives them more capabilities and depth. If he can’t play the position then that’s a different situation, but the ability to play both is a positive.

@Zuma posted this in one of the training camp threads, but it's a great summary of training camp and the progression of the offense. Even if you've been paying attention to the camp news, it's great to see it in one place.

I like Lazar and this is a really, really good read. I'm going to try (and fail) to not quote the entire thing and only post the highlights:

People need to remember that at this point last year Patricia had their offense practicing blitzing and Tampa 2.

Last edited:
Nice info here. Speaking as not a fan of BoB the first time around I have to say he's a breath of fresh air after the raging amateur hour of last year.

Liked hearing Mayo's emphasis on tackling.

This concerns me. If Lazar can see it so can every DC and DB in the league. Mac needs to focus hard on fixing this if we don't want to see a pick-6 fest.

Not a fan of BoB either, but I am very happy they have a real OC this season. If he can get this offense working they may actually have a st at a WC.

I don’t see any issue in position flexibility. If he can go between LB and SS that just gives them more capabilities and depth. If he can’t play the position then that’s a different situation, but the ability to play both is a positive.
White as a stand up linebacker and Mapu as a safety on the short goal line sounds ideal.

I sure hope BOB learned a thing or two since 2011. That offense failed miserably on the biggest stage. I would set the bar much higher in 2023.

I sure hope BOB learned a thing or two since 2011. That offense failed miserably on the biggest stage. I would set the bar much higher in 2023.

To be fair, that offense also got Brady the first ever unanimous MVP season as well

Lazar now works for the Patriots so he's probably got more info than your average beat writer.
By info do you mean what the team wants us to see and hear?

It must be brutal to have to make a living as a beat writer covering the Pats. I have a friend who recently retired from covering sports and he has incredible stories of how much crap he went through with Belichick, who when talking about the press would simply point at the media room and refer to them as "those assholes."

I think Mapu works out with the DBs because he is learning coverage skills because he is our sideline-to-sideline coverage linebacker.
Exactly. People like Lazar are getting way too hung up on what position the kid will play.

Mapu is a stand-up defensive player- period. The defensive call will determine what his responsibilities are, but the particulars will be determined by his ability to decipher what is in front of him and apply what he knows his responsibilities are to that particular play/defensive call.

At this point, the staff is trying to figure out if the kid knows what to do and when. Run D, pass D or zone.

If people want to call him a WILB, Big Nickel, Strong Safety whatever that will pretty much be his role in the defense.

Last edited:
You would set the 2023 bar higher than #3 in scoring #2 in yards a division title, a bye, 2 playoff wins and a SB loss?

You would set the 2023 bar higher than #3 in scoring #2 in yards a division title, a bye, 2 playoff wins and a SB loss?
Once again you're pushing meaningless stats, which as Belichick and most everyone else knows, are for losers.
Here are the true numbers that really count.
Pats before BOB = 3 SB wins in 4 years
Pats after BOB = 3 SB wins in 5 years with another SB appearance and a record offensive performance.
Pats in between with BOB = 2 SB losses to average Giants teams and not much offense in either game.
That's the reality of the situation.

Pats in between with BOB = 2 SB losses to average Giants teams and not much offense in either game.
Josh McDaniels was the OC in 2007.

Bar should always be last game of the season is a playoff win. Nothing less.

all that other stuff is just fancy participation trophies.

Once again you're pushing meaningless stats, which as Belichick and most everyone else knows, are for losers.
Here are the true numbers that really count.
Pats before BOB = 3 SB wins in 4 years
Pats after BOB = 3 SB wins in 5 years with another SB appearance and a record offensive performance.
So your opinion is that the only way the hiring of an OC this year is a success is with a SB win?
How well the offense plays, how many games they win is all “meaningless stats for losers”
So there are 2 options SB champ or failure and if he coordinates the #1 offense in the NFL and loses the SB it’s the same as 0-16 and shut out every game.

Bar should always be last game of the season is a playoff win. Nothing less.

all that other stuff is just fancy participation trophies.
So the 2011 patriots were no different than a team that went 0-16?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back