Patriots Mini-camp Day 3 Observations “We Got a Lot Done”
The Patriots finished up their mandatory three-day minicamp on Thursday and at the conclusion of it, head coach Bill Belichick seems pleased..with how things turned out.
“I think we got a lot done, out on the field, which is good, but we just have to keep grinding away,” Belichick said. Both Belichick and Tom Brady spoke after the practice session and remarked on the day that Patriots long-snapper Joe Cardona was promoted in Gillette Stadium to the rank of Lieutenant in the Naval Reserve. And both remarked on how the day coincided with the 75th anniversary of D-Day.
As Brady was speaking to the media after practice, Devin McCourty cracked, “Tell ‘em (media) it is Ring Night and we ain’t got time for this!”
Julian Edelman showed some love for the Bruins by wearing a Bruins jersey out before practice started. Coincidentally, it was #13 and had Dorsett on the back….
Notable Players MIA:
Among the missing was the same names that missed the first two sessions, RB Sony Michel, RB Nick Brossette, WR Demaryius Thomas, OT Yodny Cajuste, DE Deatrich Wise Jr, SS Patrick Chung, SS Nate Ebner. One new name was added, CB J.C. Jackson.
Isaiah Wynn was present and worked on individual drills and looked like he was moving without any limitations, which is a good sign for moving forward in training camp.
Overall today’s session was a lot of individual drills with not as much 11-on-11 and 7-on-7 drills.
Other observations included:
- Joe Thuney continues to line up at left tackle and worked with the tackles during individual drills
- Deion Branch and Troy Brown worked once again with the wide receivers. Branch gets very animated and worked with them on breaking a jam at the line of scrimmage
- Tom Brady and Josh McDaniels worked a side session with N’Keal Harry and Jacobi Meyers. It was an exercise in timing as well as how McDaniels and Brady want the young WRs to run their routes and position their breaks. It continues to be a learning process
- Stephon Gilmore finished a strong camp in style, by locking down the WRs and knocking down a pass.
- Jamie Collins had a strong week and knocked down a Bryan Hoyer screen pass
- Jonathan Jones had a nice pass breakup on a deep pass from Tom Brady to Julian Edelman in the corner of the end zone
- The offense ran a Flea Flicker on one play where Maurice Harris got behind Jason McCourty and caught it in the end zone.
- Duke Dawson had a nice pass breakup on a deep sideline pass from Brady to Phillip Dorsett.
- Derek Rivers got some snaps with the first grouping of defensive players.
- After Brady finished up his work with 11-on-11, once again the coaches went to Jarrett Stidham before Brian Hoyer or Danny Etling. They want to see what the young man has got.
Play of the Day:
The day ended on two very nice pass plays from Brian Hoyer. He threw a touchdown to Braxton Berrios to end the day, but his TD before that to Phillip Dorsett was a beauty. Hoyer threw a high arcing pass to the corner of the end zone and Dorsett made a beautiful leaping catch in the end zone.
The play by Dorsett brought Hoyer running over to celebrate with him. Ditto for the same thing with Berrios.
After practice, we got to speak with new DL Mike Pennel, and we’ll have more of that on PatsFans.com soon.
Posted Under: Patriots Commentary
Tags: 2019 Patriots minicamp 2019 Patriots offseason Bill Belichick Jakobi Meyers Jonathan Jones Josh McDaniels N'Keal Harry New England Patriots Phillip Dorsett Stephon Gilmore Tom Brady
More News Headlines:
|NBC Sports Boston - Jul 7th, 2020|