PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

They are trying to make a big deal about BB's "death stare" to Dana Jacobson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again we are all getting all "passionate" about nothing.

First, it wasn't a "dumb question". Christ we just had a 400 page thread about that "dumb question. It was about all we talked about here for the last 14 days...and we are STILL talking about it, (though its kind of degenerated to a few guys just yelling at each other. ;) )

Lets not pretend that we ALL wanted an answer to a question that Bill had skillfully avoided since Friday. So to say it was a dumb question is to label yourself as.....I don't know.....DUMB.

Second you may want to question whether asking Bill the question at THAT time, was inappropriate. That is a reasonable thing to ask. I would say it had to be asked then, because we all know that when Bill is asked that question on Monday, we are going to get some version of "we are on to Buffalo" from him. So it was almost ask it then, or not at all to me.

As to the media "backlash" (if any). That's natural. You have your teammate's back, and there are many in the media who feel that way when you attack one of their own. You should expect some backlash. Most of us would react in the same way if one or our "teammates" was viewed as being "attacked" I don't take any offense at all.

Finally comes the question of whether Bill's "death stare" was even a rebuke to the reporter, or was it just Bill being Bill and none of the beat guys would have even noticed it if they had asked the same question and got the same reaction. I think it was much more the latter.

Bill, by choice, has always had an adversarial relationship with the media. When you think about it, it almost has to be to a degree. Its the reporters job to ask the questions that we would ask if we were there. It's Bill's job to answer them....... UP TO the point where he views the response COULD become a strategic disadvantage or distraction to his team.

So questions like "is he going to play?" or "how will you defend this great player?" are NOT going to be answered (as we have found out over 20 years ;) ). But because WE would like to know, they are questions a reporter is pretty much required to at least ask, even though they know the response they'll get.

Its like being a salesman and going to a customer you KNOW isn't going to buy. But its your job, so you HAVE to ask for the order, because once in a blue moon the guy just might say yes.

Sure there are a few guys/girls who thrive on "creating the narrative" usually "columnists and commentators" rather than reporters. But that's why the good lord gave us brains to weed out what these idiots say and ignore it.

So to recap. Nothing to see here. ;)
asking a question you know he won't answer is dumb..serves no purpose

Using common sense and good judgment in your questioning is also part of the job of the media. Did that happen here? I don't think it did. "He was practicing with the starters. Will you have to make changes to your game plan?" is a reasonable, though vapid, question. "What was the final straw?" takes you off the field, needlessly, is inappropriate for the circumstances and, particularly given the interview subject, is designed for reaction rather than information.

It's a question any coach or GM would be asked. Just because Bill is known for being an ass doesn't mean you don't ask the question.

Once again we are all getting all "passionate" about nothing.

First, it wasn't a "dumb question". Christ we just had a 400 page thread about that "dumb question. It was about all we talked about here for the last 14 days...and we are STILL talking about it, (though its kind of degenerated to a few guys just yelling at each other. ;) )

Lets not pretend that we ALL wanted an answer to a question that Bill had skillfully avoided since Friday. So to say it was a dumb question is to label yourself as.....I don't know.....DUMB.

Second you may want to question whether asking Bill the question at THAT time, was inappropriate. That is a reasonable thing to ask. I would say it had to be asked then, because we all know that when Bill is asked that question on Monday, we are going to get some version of "we are on to Buffalo" from him. So it was almost ask it then, or not at all to me.

As to the media "backlash" (if any). That's natural. You have your teammate's back, and there are many in the media who feel that way when you attack one of their own. You should expect some backlash. Most of us would react in the same way if one or our "teammates" was viewed as being "attacked" I don't take any offense at all.

Finally comes the question of whether Bill's "death stare" was even a rebuke to the reporter, or was it just Bill being Bill and none of the beat guys would have even noticed it if they had asked the same question and got the same reaction. I think it was much more the latter.

Bill, by choice, has always had an adversarial relationship with the media. When you think about it, it almost has to be to a degree. Its the reporters job to ask the questions that we would ask if we were there. It's Bill's job to answer them....... UP TO the point where he views the response COULD become a strategic disadvantage or distraction to his team.

So questions like "is he going to play?" or "how will you defend this great player?" are NOT going to be answered (as we have found out over 20 years ;) ). But because WE would like to know, they are questions a reporter is pretty much required to at least ask, even though they know the response they'll get.

Its like being a salesman and going to a customer you KNOW isn't going to buy. But its your job, so you HAVE to ask for the order, because once in a blue moon the guy just might say yes.

Sure there are a few guys/girls who thrive on "creating the narrative" usually "columnists and commentators" rather than reporters. But that's why the good lord gave us brains to weed out what these idiots say and ignore it.

So to recap. Nothing to see here. ;)
If you are given a small amount of time to do your job.... in her case 20 seconds— is it wise or dumb to use of her limited window to ask a question that she knows will not be answered?

Did the viewer gain knowledge from her question choice?

From a journalism standpoint she failed at her job

And because Belichick was clearly perturbed by this time wasting exercise, I’d bet a few units he will minimize his access next time CBS asks for his time.

Get nothing
Hurt relationship

Dumb

It's a question any coach or GM would be asked. Just because Bill is known for being an ass doesn't mean you don't ask the question.

It's a question for a mid-week or post-game press conference. It's not a question for a light pre-game interview with Bill Belichick.

As I said earlier in the thread, go find Steve Burton and talk to him about this sort of thing.

Good for Dana Jacobson. These weak reporters complaining are essentially saying women can’t stand up for themselves. They’re the sexist ones.

I think the issue to those people is: would Jacobson have been treated differently if she were a man? And I think in some instances the answer to that question is 'yes', there are coaches/individuals who would interact with a female reporter differently than a male reporter, and that's problematic.

But I have no reason to believe BB treated her differently because she's female, and his previous interactions with male reporters indicates as much.

As for standing up for herself, what's she supposed to say? Ask him to be more polite? That's certainly not the time or place for such a request, IMO.

I think BB was a bit coarse, as he would've been with any reporter, male or female, and Jacobson handled it well.

Did you bother to read the article? It prints what she said. If you're an atheist, it's no big deal. If you believe that God created the universe through his son ************ and that the latter will judge everyone who ever lived on Judgment Day, it's a very big deal.
It’s no big deal for people secure in their faith. For people that get offended way too easily, it’s perceived as a big deal.

I think he was waiting for a follow up question.

If you are given a small amount of time to do your job.... in her case 20 seconds— is it wise or dumb to use of her limited window to ask a question that she knows will not be answered?

Did the viewer gain knowledge from her question choice?

From a journalism standpoint she failed at her job

And because Belichick was clearly perturbed by this time wasting exercise, I’d bet a few units he will minimize his access next time CBS asks for his time.

Get nothing
Hurt relationship

Dumb

Except, in that job she's not being given the opportunity to be a journalist in that situation. It is pure entertainment. There's no investigation of anything serious. That's why she apologized for the question before she asked it.

This response is not targeted at the quoted poster, or anyone else in particular. It's just a general statement. Here's my issue here, and it's right in that article:

While some celebrated Belichick’s signature unfriendliness, others argued it was unprofessional of the coach to react that way to Jacobson’s question.

Popovich is famously much the same way. Reporters know what they're going to get when they ask even friendly questions to both coaches, never mind when they ask off topic, unfriendly questions, so the pearl clutching on this is asinine.

If people want to *****, in general, about that style, that's a valid topic of discussion. But it's a different discussion than "Don't pick on the girl!".

Much ado about nothing.

We're onto Buffalo.

Except, in that job she's not being given the opportunity to be a journalist in that situation. It is pure entertainment. There's no investigation of anything serious. That's why she apologized for the question before she asked it.
Nonsensical answer

Wasn't a dumb question. It was a big story.

If it was a guy reporter, I'd expect some retaliation of some sort. Curse Bill out a bit, maybe make fun of him... you know some sort of payback. A hard shoulder in the hallway perhaps?

So even though it really is awkward watching Bill do that to a woman, I suppose she just has to find a way to get back at him. Without making it a man/woman thing.

With that said, if that was my mother/sister/wife... yeah Bill would be on my ****list.
Now that wasn’t a well thought out reply.

If you’re serious, you must be easily offended that you’d want to retaliate for “A stare”:rolleyes:

“Honey, what happened?”

“I asked Belichick a question he requested I don’t ask and he just stared at me. I’m so hurt”

Now that wasn’t a well thought out reply.

If you’re serious, you must be easily offended that you’d want to retaliate for “A stare”:rolleyes:

“Honey, what happened?”

“I asked Belichick a question he requested I don’t ask and he just stared at me. I’m so hurt”

Of course. Dude disrespects ya on TV? Definitely gonna have some fun with the prick.

New England Patriots' Bill Belichick slammed for giving reporter 'death stare' after Antonio Brown question

Gee, no wonder BB doesn't want to answer your dumb questions. He was clearly in pre-game mode and focused on the Jets. He stood by for a bit to make sure she didn't have a question about the game. Naturally, it's being picked apart by the twitter idiots.
I went onto twitter and commented. Seems like every time someone under 40 responds, they use the word...

LITERALLY!!!:eek:

Why use that word when it adds no value to one’s comment?

I’m fuggn literally done with the word literally!

Of course. Dude disrespects ya on TV? Definitely gonna have some fun with the prick.
Asking a question you’ve been requested not to ask is disrespectful. Anyone does that and I’m gonna have fun with that person!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST