PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Superbowl Rewatch thread: the great defensive duel

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest takeaway watching this defense through the playoffs was how incredibly effective the DL stunts were. We really didn’t need to blitz to create pressure. I can’t believe it was so effective. Why do you guys think it worked so well? The DL played with great technique and there are some talented players there, but none id call stars outside of trey (and I suppose Hightower and kvn were part of quite a few of these)

They’re well coached, but it amazes me that it was so effective given the simplicity of it

Ninkovich mentioned on his show that while Butler won’t really put up stats in this defense he is playing well & allowing others to rack up pressure:

That’s just a couple examples of Butler taking up multiple blockers & still getting push on these stunts. He showed up in similar fashion vs. the Chargers too.

He’s definitely in the running for one of the more underrated players on the team & plays a key role in these stunts. Seems like your prototypical do your job type player.

Last edited:
I think Sean McVay is going to be a great coach. He had the humility to tell everyone that he got outcoached last night and he didn't blame anyone but himself. That's the kind of coach a player would run through the wall for.

Likewise I think the abuse Goff is taking is way off base. After re-watching, I don't think Predator or the Terminator would have done much better.

What will be interesting is the level of self scouting McVay does with the Detroit/ Chicago/ SB games and then adjust.

Does this mean Patricia gets an honorary ring this year? Interesting that BB mentions Detroit so specifically.

The reason that the Patriots offense sucked so bad was because Patriots have no deep threat. Wade could bring the safeties in without worrying about the deep part of the field. Thanks Gordon; you made the ring that much harder.

Dorsett is the fastest guy on the team, I wonder why he was not used as the deep threat. Hogan played like dog poop.

A deep treat who can run by everyone would be great, but it's not necessary. Gordon isn't a guy who's going to run by everyone every time... But he can go up and get the ball at its highest point.

In my opinion, that's what the Patriots were lacking offensively. Someone like Tyreek Hill is great to have, but I'd rather have someone who can high point the ball so he doesn't have to be hit in stride. A guy with great speed and high point ability (like Moss) is ideal, but you need one or the other at least.

Gronk can still do that a little bit, but his jumping ability isn't what it used to be.

On the Brady pick, Dwaye Allen is lined up inside Hogan. Allen runs a vertical route, hoping to draw his man up the seam and create space for Hogan. Allen's man comes off him in an obvious robber concept which Brady clearly did not anticipate.

I hypothesize that this call by Phillips was deliberate because it was *Dwayne Allen* who was the designated coverage clear out guy. Phillips likely game planned to take risks pulling man coverage off of rarely-targeted Allen mid-route to help on Brady's preferred targets. With two receivers on that side, a safety was helping that side of the field anyway should Brady actually throw to Allen.

Regards,
Chris

On the Brady pick, Dwaye Allen is lined up inside Hogan. Allen runs a vertical route, hoping to draw his man up the seam and create space for Hogan. Allen's man comes off him in an obvious robber concept which Brady clearly did not anticipate.

I hypothesize that this call by Phillips was deliberate because it was *Dwayne Allen* who was the designated coverage clear out guy. Phillips likely game planned to take risks pulling man coverage off of rarely-targeted Allen mid-route to help on Brady's preferred targets. With two receivers on that side, a safety was helping that side of the field anyway should Brady actually throw to Allen.

Regards,
Chris

I absolutely agree. I was going to mention that they probably determined that they didn't have to worry about Allen in the slot at all.

Regards,
Chris
I don't think it was a robber concept (man coverage with one deep safety and one safety in the shallow middle of the field) but a zone coverage when they were expecting man. In that case it wouldn't have mattered if Gronk was running in place of Allen.

That said, if I were D-coordinating against the Patriots, I might take chances against covering Allen to trap another receiver. That play is not that, IMO.

Last edited:
Apologies if already posted. I know this isn't quite a SB only stat, but the numbers seemed significant for our defense as a whole. I can't remember the last time the defense generated this much pressure in the playoffs. Refreshing to watch!

I don't think it was a robber concept (man coverage with one deep safety and one safety in the shallow middle of the field) but a zone coverage when they were expecting man. In that case it wouldn't have mattered if Gronk was running in place of Allen.

They definitely looked like they were in man before the snap and switched, but Allen was open on the seam if Brady had recognized what they were doing sooner. Generally, the corner playing off Hogan would drive hard upfield on that throw in man, while the slot corner would cover the seam. They were in a cover 1 look, but the single high moved toward the twins side on the snap, as did the linebacker on that side (to cover a possible double move back inside by Hogan or the slot receiver if he broke inside off the line).

They were able to run this because the Patriots decided to spread the field side with two receivers and they didn't have to worry about the boundary side much beyond check downs or crosses, which they had covered.

So I think Brady was expecting man, saw zone when the corner came off Allen and short armed his throw a bit. I think Allen being in the slot was part of why the corner left that route so early. Allen was open for an easy 8 or 9 yard gain and Brady usually hits Gronk on that. I don't think the coverage would have changed if Gronk had been in the slot, but I do think the corner would have carried that seam another step or so before breaking on the out route, or at least kept more balanced leverage on it instead of immediately jumping outside of it.

So I think it was just a perfect storm of a great call, Allen being the slot receiver and Brady getting fooled but seeing it late, which drove the throw inside. If he had let the throw trail to the sideline, Hogan has a chance to make a catch and at least the ball won't be intercepted.

Edit: Brady also had the drag route open slightly, but that was clearly not his first or second read. It would have taken a good move to get the first down, but it was open. The sit down route on the backside was open, too, but again, that's not even close to his first read in that look and is essentially a check down. It also wasn't *that* open, but enough to get the ball there with a tiny bit of room to wiggle.

It was ironically a really safe play call by the Patriots. High chance of a completion generally.

Last edited:

That said, if I were D-coordinating against the Patriots, I might take chances against covering Allen to trap another receiver. That play is not that, IMO.

Fair enough. I thought Allen's DB stayed with him an extra beat or two upon one rewatch, but the film don't lie.

Regards,
Chris

I feel like this is how sb49 would’ve went defensively if not for kyle arrington getting abused by whoever that scrub wr was and Brady not throwing a pick in our own territory. I thought that was a really good matchup for us that year and we had a strong secondary then too + a shutdown corner that allowed bb scheming flexibility. Front 7 held marshawn in check. We pretty much shut them down aside from the jump balls / fluke tipped catch at the end.

Watch Shaq Mason destroy Donald here.. is Mason arguably the best run blocker in the league?

It's probably Shaq and Quenton Nelson neck and neck. Nelson has the advantage of being a lot bigger, but Mason uses leverage as well as anyone.

Apologies if already posted. Read the entire thread. This highlights the difference between the Patriots (known for their adaptability) and, well, everyone else (too rigid until it's too late).

Watch Shaq Mason destroy Donald here.. is Mason arguably the best run blocker in the league?

not sure if quote is going to work, but i want to point to the first play, the pass to the left...

this is why the offense struggled, Brady's clock was off (way off) in his head

not sure why it happened, but he got uncomfortable early and was releasing the ball much sooner than he needed to, in this play he went to his left quickly, when he could have waited a count and thrown to white over the middle for 20-30 yards. but he thought he had to release too quickly

i think part of dorsett not getting any targets was also that, brady was uncomfortable waiting long enough to get to his 3rd/4th/5th read bc he thought pressure would be coming more

nice to win a SB with brady just playing average ball

Apologies if already posted. Read the entire thread. This highlights the difference between the Patriots (known for their adaptability) and, well, everyone else (too rigid until it's too late).

That versatility that a lot of players show is why I am always hesitant about mock drafts and how people judge players that got drafted by other teams which turned into good contributors. Just because a player became a success somewhere else doesn't mean that he would have been as good here. Versatility and a diverse skillset is a requirement to be successful in Foxboro otherwise you are just a role player and might not be worth the draft capital.

Versatility and a deep middle class is what really drives this dynasty.

I just finished watching the replay for the third time. As much I enjoy Tony Romo he owes an apolgy to Brian Flores who he never mentioned and gave all the credit to BB even the blitz interception. FYI for those who were bored you can watch a 1 hour SB replay at 8PM tonight followed by the 2 Bills at 9.

I just finished watching the replay for the third time. As much I enjoy Tony Romo he owes an apolgy to Brian Flores who he never mentioned and gave all the credit to BB even the blitz interception. FYI for those who were bored you can watch a 1 hour SB replay at 8PM tonight followed by the 2 Bills at 9.
Thanks, but they’re showing the Super Bowl Inside the NFL at 9 on Showtime tonight. If it’s anything like SBs 49 and 51, wow..... apologies for off topic post, but some of the clips from there may be helpful in the rewatch analysis.

Thanks, but they’re showing the Super Bowl Inside the NFL at 9 on Showtime tonight. If it’s anything like SBs 49 and 51, wow..... apologies for off topic post, but some of the clips from there may be helpful in the rewatch analysis.
I miss not having Showtime, was Ray Lewis the 3rd ex-player again this year besides Boomer and Phil? Did Brandon Marshall keep trying to unseat Ray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back