PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official Patriots Draft thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe we actually used 4 2nd round draft picks. I could have sworn we would trade 1 or 2 into 2010.

The fact that made 4 picks on day one shocks me more than the fact that we drafted das Vollmer.

Neal was a champion wrester in college.
Gates took his team to the elite 8 in basketball.
Either though were drafted in the second round.
All of that however is beside the point.
I was making a crack about the football-worthiness of the name Sebastian Vollmer. Lighten up Jack.

I'm perfectly "light," thanks.

as much as i love the chung pick, i dont like the vollmer pick that much. has had major back surgery in the past, is already about 26 years old and is considered a project by most places.

I actually like all three picks prior to the Vollmer selection. Wreaks too much of a reach.

can't teach size.

Love the Chung and Butler picks. Chung and Meriweather will be our starters for years to come. Butler has great versatility, and was the fastest CB at the Combine. Obviously BB loved him (Boomer said something about BB telling him Butler was one of the best corners he's ever scouted, or something to that effect), he can play DB, WR, and be a returner, I think our secondary is going to be very solid for quite some time with Chung, Butler, Wheatley, Willhite & Meriweather. Brace was a bit of a shock, even though he was pretty highly rated. Maybe the Wilfork negotiations aren't going well, or maybe it's just for NT depth and platooning. I would have been all over Barwin, Sintim or Everette Brown. It's obvious that BB did not think highly of the 2009 LB class of Mauluga, Lauranitis, Barwin, Sintim or Brown, as he by passed them countless times. Vollmer was a huge shock as well, since Beatty from UConn was still available. But that statement in itself tells you something, they picked Vollmer over Beatty even though I'm sure they scouted Beatty while at UConn's Pro day. Brace & Vollmer were the typical Pat's picks that leave you scratching your head, and realizing that no matter what draft preperations we make as fans, you can never, ever dig deeper than BB and staff. Hopefully the Brace & Vollmer picks work out, I feel the Chung and Butler picks are home runs.

12 3-4 OLB types were drafted - and none by the Patriots.
The last several drafts I have sat watching the 3-4 OLB prospects, and the Pats really have avoided them.

Michael Johnson, Lawrence Sidbury, Stryker Sulak are the top remaining.

Only two ILB's have been drafted, so there is lots of depth there.

Lots of good WR's remain.
Hard to imagine what the Pats will do with another four third rounders.

pay 8 players about 1/10 what the stupid Rats will pay for ONE player...Tim Couch Jr.

12 3-4 OLB types were drafted - and none by the Patriots.
The last several drafts I have sat watching the 3-4 OLB prospects, and the Pats really have avoided them.

Michael Johnson, Lawrence Sidbury, Stryker Sulak are the top remaining.

Only two ILB's have been drafted, so there is lots of depth there.

Lots of good WR's remain.

I'm sure they won't pick any of those guys, as well as anyone we know, lol. BB drafts strictly for what fits the Pats system. He has a mixed record, mostly good, but some terrible picks. Bethel Johnson over Anquan Boldin will go down as one of the alltime misses by BB. There have been some other terrible misses, but some incredible hits, such as Logan Mankins, rated by some as a 3rd round pick, picked in the 1st round, and has been to a Pro Bowl already, same for Matt Light, drafted higher than some thought. And of course, maybe the greatest draft choice ever, Tom Brady in the 6th round.

Biggest Surprises of the draft:

Maybin at 12.
Michael Johnson out of the top 2.
Maualuga and Laurinaitus both out of the 1st round.
William Beatty droping to the end of the 2nd round.

The Browns trading down 3 times.
The Pats trading down out of the 1st round.

Wow I just got home from work and at first glance these are what jump out at me about day one.

I might add Michael Mitchell which I had as a UDFA going at #47 but it is Al Davis.

Cut it out dude, you're ruining the draft.

I lurk. I rarely post. But you are right.

BOR has forgotten more about football than most of us will ever learn.

Be respectful of each other.

Get back to me when you cease being an uptight, cantankerous prig while claiming to be "light." How that's for English, Jack boy? And way to **ck up another thread with your combative BS.

You're going to accuse me of being combative because you couldn't deal with examples of successful NFL players who didn't have a background playing football? I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were so sensitive. What's your address? I'll send you some Mydol.

I'm ok with this draft. my thoughts are:

1. Did BB have Delmas rated over Chung?
2. It would be nice to trade a couple of our '09 3rd rounders for '10 second rounders
3. How many '09 draft picks can make this team?
4. I have no complaints with the Ron Brace pick. I thought he was clearly the 2nd rated NT on the board after Raji.
5. Is Butler the heir apparent to Ellis Hobbs or will he be resigned?

:confused::confused: It's true. Thinking was he'd go top ten to the Redsking IIRC.

Nah, there were a ton of DTs that year. It was POSSIBLE he could have gone higher, but he ended up about where MOST expected. IIRC William Joseph was the big faller at the DT position.

No *******, I've accused you of being...well....the usual ******* that you tend to be in this forum when I stated "lighten up." It had nothing to do with the difference in your opinion. You're just an *******. That's all. Now *uck off, *******.

Hell with Mydol, you need Risperdal.

Here's what I said:

Thank God we have guys like Stephen Neal, what with their impressive football pedigree and all.

And don't get me started on Antonio Gates.

Which caused you to apparently get your panties in a twist. Cry me a river, Francis.

Let's make a Wotan/Jack thread... apparently that is more important.

^A winning come-back, Jack boy. And I know you can't help being who you are. Your posting history is testiment of that. Keep at it, as*hole.;)

Gosh, whatever will I do without your approval. If you're going to attempt to insult me, you might want to learn how to spell the words you choose to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back