PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The NFL Draft, Day 1, Round 1, thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall Ras-I was also projected to be a first rounder until the injuries happened. I also recall posters who are posting singing the tune that Easley would have been a higher first round pick before the injury singing the same tune when Ras-I was picked.

If the Jets had taken Easley, this board would be laughing its collective ass off at the Jets because of the injuries. Because it was the Patriots who took the kid, the same people who'd be laughing at the Jets are defending the pick as if their lives depend on it.

It's the nature of sports. As a group, fans are incredibly predictable.

If the Jets had taken Easley, this board would be laughing its collective ass off at the Jets because of the injuries. Because it was the Patriots who took the kid, the same people who'd be laughing at the Jets are defending the pick as if their lives depend on it.

It's the nature of sports. As a group, fans are incredibly predictable.

I doubt the 17 posters who picked Easley in the Draft contest would be laughing had the Jets picked him. Several posters here think Easley was a terrible pick, and most who don't still acknowledge that his injury history carries some risk.

Time will tell. SF gets the immediate return, but Buf/LA stocks up for the future.

My mistake for not being more clear. I didn't mean that as a comparison to the Bills in the trade. I'm looking at SF, with a boatload of picks in this draft and getting a starter level WR for a 3rd/4th rounder in a draft that's likely to me much weaker next year.

If I'm an NFL GM, I'm already starting to carry the SF roster around with me 24/7, because some good prospects or veterans are likely to spring loose.

Michael Crabtree
Anquan Boldin
Steve Johnson
Brandon Lloyd (?)
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore
Marcus Lattimore

That's a hell of a foundation for a team that's still got a boatload of picks.

Last edited:
And the Pats. Stevie Johnson has a lot of success against Revis for some reason....

Sherman too!:

ic2r04KO2pV38.gif

He's Seattle's problem now :p

My mistake for not being more clear. I didn't mean that as a comparison to the Bills in the trade. I'm looking at SF, with a boatload of picks in this draft and getting a starter level WR for a 3rd/4th rounder in a draft that's likely to me much weaker next year.

If I'm an NFL GM, I'm already starting to carry the SF roster around with me 24/7, because some good prospects or veterans are likely to spring loose.

Michael Crabtree
Anquan Boldin
Steve Johnson
Brandon Lloyd (?)
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore
Marcus Lattimore

That's a hell of a foundation for a team that's still got a boatload of picks.
They're at the podium 5x tonight. They're going to be very active. I seriously doubt they make all those picks. Good call on keeping an eye on SF.

The only thing I disagree about is saying next years draft will be much weaker. Year after year I hear "this is a once in a generation draft class" or "this is the deepest draft ever". I don't think this class is actually all that strong. No great QB's from what I see. I think this class will resemble 2008, when we lost our first but it sucked anyway. Thank you Roger for not letting us waste cap $'s on a bad pick.

Time will tell but I could be wrong. That's fine as long as I'm wrong and the Patriots find 2 or 3 HOFers. I love being wrong when that happens.:)

And the Pats. Stevie Johnson has a lot of success against Revis for some reason....

SF is a tough opponent were they to make the SB. I'm assuming that Kap doesn't regress further.

SF is a tough opponent were they to make the SB. I'm assuming that Kap doesn't regress further.

Kap doesn't have the "it" factor. He took his team to the 1 yard line the super bowl on what would have been the game winning drive only to fail. And again he did it in the NFCCG.

As far as sherman is concerned, he's good but he gets by by observing the body language of the receiver, particularly the hips. It's smart, but receivers may learn some counter moves to throw him off.

Sherman too!:

ic2r04KO2pV38.gif

He's Seattle's problem now :p

Nah, Sherm was just baiting the QB to make that throw. Don't you know that's how he cerebrifies and uses thoughtification to enhance his game?If you didn't, I'm sure he'd be happy to scream it at you over twitter and ask you how many Super Bowls you personally have won :)

From Mike Reiss, who's apparently just another hater now:

My take: Surprised. When I think about when the New England Patriots have been at their best in the draft, it's when they have locked in on "clean," steady picks with limited injury history.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4762587/patriots-pick-dominique-easley-in-1st

A bit more on the torn ACLs: Easley's knee injuries add to the risk level, but my sense in communicating with others around the NFL is that they aren't the type of thing that would take him off a team's draft board. Instead, it just might knock him down the board a bit.

"Boom or bust" label based on injuries: Mike Tanier of "Sports On Earth" wrote a piece on Easley in early April that was headlined "Boom or Bust." It sums up Easley's situation nicely.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...ots?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I

So is Stevie Johnson available now? Maybe the Bills think they can recoup a pick back possibly?

Why would this make him available? Having more than one very good WR can't hurt. Especially not when you have the Patriots in you division that this year decided to bring in Revis and Browner and have McCourty in the back end.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ort-bills-to-trade-wr-stevie-johnson-to-49ers
Your point was pretty solid but I think there may have been issues the Bills have had behind the scenes with Stevie Johnson. They may have also wanted to recoup some draft picks but will have to pay a hefty cap penalty having just signed him to an extension recently.

To be fair, I think a lot of people, Reiss included, are guilty of forgetting the question marks that the hits had surrounding them at the time that they were drafted. Hightower was exactly the kind of 'clean' prospect that he's referring to, while Chandler Jones came with injury risk (he missed half of his final season) that led a lot of people to label him a significant reach where he was drafted.

When a guy who was injury prone in college stops being injury prone in the NFL, we tend to forget that he ever was. Let's hope that Easley turns out ot be another example of that. I don't love or hate the pick at this point: I understand the nature of the risk that they took, and while I'm not totally comfortable with it and don't love what I've seen from Easley in researching him so far, I understand what they're going for. The first round is a bit early to be making this kind of gamble, IMO, but at least it was a gamble at a position and skillset that's extremely hard to find where we have a pressing need.

Last edited:
And they were equally right then. Let's just hope that it works out differently this time.

Look at it however you want, but understand why posters may have a "WTF" reaction to this pick.

Ultimately, I think we all hope he works out better than Ras-I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing