PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Following teams should be selling the farm for Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bears are the perfect match:

-Jimmy G played HS and college football in Illinois
-Based off twitter, the fans want him
-He wouldn't be short on weapons if Jeffery re-signs (Jeffery, White, Meredith, Miller, Howard)
-The Bears look like they will finish with a top 3-5 pick
-http://sportsmockery.com/2016/09/ryan-pace-obsessed-finding-right-qb-bears/2/

Does that sound like a GM that wants to deal with/gamble on a rookie QB?

We'll have the leverage. You want Jimmy G? Give us your top 3 pick to select tbe best RB prospect in a decade or our best pass rusher since Tippett. Otherwise no deal.
I agree. For all the reasons you stated and a few more I'll add

1. The HC and GM are on a short leash and it wouldn't be wise to take a rookie QB with that first round pick and hope he is great from the start. The odds of that happening is remote at best. Also if they go to the rookie and he becomes great after 2 or 3 years of developing, it will be a great deal....for the NEXT coach/GM combination. Jimmy gives him the immediate upgrade of a player going into his 4th season on a cheap contract.

2. The Bears will likely be picking in the top 5 this years, so any draft picks the Pats get from them will come at the TOP of the round. That's why that, while AZ sounds intriguing and is a fit, I'm really not interested in ANOTHER low first round pick.

3. If the Bears ownership want to cut bait with Fox and friends, Chicago WOULD be the kind of franchise Bill would recommend to Josh.

All that being said, it is NOT going to happen THIS season.

We don't know what Bob Quinn in DET thinks of his QB Matthew Stafford.

Statistically he is a verg good QB, plays hurt and is entering the prime of his career.

He is also has a $22m cap hit next year and if traded/cut, they save ~$17m.

Stafford's agent is Tom Condon is the Scott Boras of the NFL. If there is a penny to be had, he'll take it.

BB and Condon didn't exactly see eye to eye on contracts.

As we all know, Quinn has Patriot DNA.

Stanford has been playing well for Detroit and is in the prime of his career, essentially they would be paying a high price to fix their greatest strength, I just don't see Detroit making sense.

Makes sense to me, because Jimmy's value to them could go beyond football. A promising young Chicagoland native with a megawatt smile at QB is exactly what their deeply disgruntled fanbase needs. Who in this draft could change the narrative and build excitement for the Bears more than him?

The Bears make sense to me as well, Cutler has been a serious bust.

The Bears make sense to me as well, Cutler has been a serious bust.

Imagine McDaniels getting hired there as patfanken suggests, and McDaniels gets to dump him for the 2nd time? Would be weird, especially since a recent McDaniels profile article claims Josh wasn't looking to dump Cutler when he was hired, it was Cutler's overreaction that caused it.

Stanford has been playing well for Detroit and is in the prime of his career, essentially they would be paying a high price to fix their greatest strength, I just don't see Detroit making sense.

Agree on Stafford. I think he is a very good QB but if Condon is asking for Luck/Manning money at $25m a year, with Quinn being a Pats guy I wonder if that runs counter to his version of Patriots team building he has implemented over there.

Agree on Stafford. I think he is a very good QB but if Condon is asking for Luck/Manning money at $25m a year, with Quinn being a Pats guy I wonder if that runs counter to his version of Patriots team building he has implemented over there.

Stafford is not going to be a free agent next year.

Stafford is not going to be a free agent next year.

Correct but this summer - or even sooner is when they will be starting negotiations as 2017 is a contract year plus Quinn might want to lower the $22m 2017 cap number. With that said, if Condon is being unreasonable and they cannot strike a deal, then Quinn might get a kings ransom for him as opposed to losing him in FA.

Correct but this summer - or even sooner is when they will be starting negotiations as 2017 is a contract year plus Quinn might want to lower the $22m 2017 cap number. With that said, if Condon is being unreasonable and they cannot strike a deal, then Quinn might get a kings ransom for him as opposed to losing him in FA.

I think Garrapolo will either Be gone by the draft or a Patriotnext year, I don't think he will be traded in the summer for 2018 picks.

I think Garrapolo will either Be gone by the draft or a Patriotnext year, I don't think he will be traded in the summer for 2018 picks.

I tend to agree.

The Bears are the perfect match:

-Jimmy G played HS and college football in Illinois
-Based off twitter, the fans want him
-He wouldn't be short on weapons if Jeffery re-signs (Jeffery, White, Meredith, Miller, Howard)
-The Bears look like they will finish with a top 3-5 pick
-http://sportsmockery.com/2016/09/ryan-pace-obsessed-finding-right-qb-bears/2/

Does that sound like a GM that wants to deal with/gamble on a rookie QB?

We'll have the leverage. You want Jimmy G? Give us your top 3 pick to select tbe best RB prospect in a decade or our best pass rusher since Tippett. Otherwise no deal.

Co-sign on all of this. The Bears just make so much sense although they would need to strengthen their OL.

Jimmy is that photogenic quality player that franchises look for as the face of their team. In addition Jimmy grew up a Bears fan I believe.

If the Pats get a lot of suitors for Jimmy before the draft they'll be able to take their pick but just imagine the Pats can snag a top 3 pick for JG and draft Myles Garrett, he already sounds like he would fit into the Patriots system, team first guy even though he excels with talent, no distractions with social media and a law abiding citizen. For the first time in longer than I've been a Pats fan I would love for the Pats to have a top 3 overall draft pick and maximise that type of talent under Coach Bill.

The Draftniks have crawled out from under their rocks. Thankfully BB is no fool and knows how hard it is to find a potential franchise QB. Why should he trade just because he might have two of them?

I agree. For all the reasons you stated and a few more I'll add

1. The HC and GM are on a short leash and it wouldn't be wise to take a rookie QB with that first round pick and hope he is great from the start. The odds of that happening is remote at best. Also if they go to the rookie and he becomes great after 2 or 3 years of developing, it will be a great deal....for the NEXT coach/GM combination. Jimmy gives him the immediate upgrade of a player going into his 4th season on a cheap contract.

2. The Bears will likely be picking in the top 5 this years, so any draft picks the Pats get from them will come at the TOP of the round. That's why that, while AZ sounds intriguing and is a fit, I'm really not interested in ANOTHER low first round pick.

3. If the Bears ownership want to cut bait with Fox and friends, Chicago WOULD be the kind of franchise Bill would recommend to Josh.

All that being said, it is NOT going to happen THIS season.

Or next either... A superbowl contender needs a good backup QB for their 40 year old QB.

Sorry, I want to keep Jimmy regardless of cost. He is our future

Jimmy G is sticking around through 2017. You gotta think value. You have a backup QB who is maybe a top 15 guy in the league right now on a rookie deal. It costs almost nothing to keep him in 2017, and his presence could be the difference between a deep playoff run or a trainwreck season if Brady gets hurt or declines. You don't give that up for anything short of a pick high enough to get a sure thing, cornerstone player.

Or next either... A superbowl contender needs a good backup QB for their 40 year old QB.
But next year, there will be no farm to buy for Jimmy as our leverage will decrease significantly. Plus who is to say that Jacoby Brissett won't be a good back up for our 40 year old QB.

The Draftniks have crawled out from under their rocks. Thankfully BB is no fool and knows how hard it is to find a potential franchise QB. Why should he trade just because he might have two of them?

Because if Brady keeps playing at this level, the ONLY way to keep JG after next season is with the franchise tag.

I don't think I've ever seen a player look more overjoyed just to be on a football field than Garoppolo in game 1 this year. The man wants to play football. (Would you want a QB who didn't?)

Jimmy G is sticking around through 2017. You gotta think value. You have a backup QB who is maybe a top 15 guy in the league right now on a rookie deal. It costs almost nothing to keep him in 2017, and his presence could be the difference between a deep playoff run or a trainwreck season if Brady gets hurt or declines. You don't give that up for anything short of a pick high enough to get a sure thing, cornerstone player.

If I were BB and someone offered a top-3 pick. . . . I might not make the trade, but I'd give it a lot of thought.

Unless you think Brady is leaving after 2017, this just isn't true. Jimmy isn't going to stay here on the bench post free agency.

Yup. We have to be realistic about the situation.

Brady at age 39 is playing like a mobile QB. He's scrambling for first downs and buying time like never before. That first down pass to White on the sideline was a play Russell Wilson makes. His velocity hasn't diminished and his deep ball looks better than the past few years.

I thought Jimmy G would be the starter by 2016 right after we drafted him (oops). Brady has proved historical trends wrong. Maybe he can play at this level at age 45?

We need to get something rather than nothing for Jimmy G. We can't have 45 million in cap tied up to two QBs. The top of this draft might be the most talented since 2011 too.

Leonard Fournette would extend Brady's career. Myles Garrett would be a BB dream. It's tough to pass them up for what looks like the slim chance Brady declines next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore