PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Bills are who we thought they were

I'm sure Buffalo's Home Depot store will see a great uptick in folding table and lighter fluid sales now that the Bills' rancid, abhorrent fan base realize they have somewhat better ways of spending their Sundays other than watching that awful franchise.

I called this when they were 5-2.
People were still saying this week 10 wind would be cake for them so they are NOT what a lot of “we” thought they were.

Not only did you call it, but you called why. You said the high-rate of turnovers was luck based, and that their actual defensive and offensive production was lacking. You claimed that once the turnovers dried up they would be mediocre. I have given credit to you elsewhere for this prediction, but it is worth repeating.

Wow, tough to be a Bill fan.........just think, here we are worried about first round byes and Super Bowls while the Bills haven't even made the playoffs in the 21st century

Not only did you call it, but you called why. You said the high-rate of turnovers was luck based, and that their actual defensive and offensive production was lacking. You claimed that once the turnovers dried up they would be mediocre. I have given credit to you elsewhere for this prediction, but it is worth repeating.

It was pretty much the same reason why the same posters that didnt take the Bills serious this year also scoffed at people thinking Miami or Denver were any good last year. If you consistently play of the statistical edge and need the other team to shoot themselves into their foot or sheer luck to win games then odds are that it will run out at some point as things regress to the mean.

The only team in the last few years that defied that was Denver on their SB run. They had no business even being in the playoffs but things kept going their way until the very end. Even the 2012 Ravens were a more deserved winner.

So who's the new boogeyman team on this board for the Game Day thread all-stars?

I am sure there are already enough people ****ting their pants about Kansas City.

So who's the new boogeyman team on this board for the Game Day thread all-stars?

I am sure there are already enough people ****ting their pants about Kansas City.

If you ever see me "****ting my pants" about another team, it is because I prefer to over-respect teams as Belichick preaches. Trying to internalize that Belichickian mantra is part of my personal enjoyment as a fan. Perhaps others feel the same way.

It was pretty much the same reason why the same posters that didnt take the Bills serious this year also scoffed at people thinking Miami or Denver were any good last year. If you consistently play of the statistical edge and need the other team to shoot themselves into their foot or sheer luck to win games then odds are that it will run out at some point as things regress to the mean.

That is a very good point. I makes me want to investigate that open-source football analytics metric that I mentioned to @BradyFTW! . Perhaps we can identify over and under performing teams systematically. I can find the posts where I talk about it if folks want a reminder.

@AndyJohnson Acknowledge my acknowledgment of you! :D

That is a very good point. I makes me want to investigate that open-source football analytics metric that I mentioned to @BradyFTW! . Perhaps we can identify over and under performing teams systematically. I can find the posts where I talk about it if folks want a reminder.

SHOW ME THE MONEY !

If you ever see me "****ting my pants" about another team, it is because I prefer to over-respect teams as Belichick preaches. Trying to internalize that Belichickian mantra is part of my personal enjoyment as a fan. Perhaps others feel the same way.

As often there is a difference between respecting a team and being able to articulate why (which you are obviously more than capable of) or just looking at someones win/loss record and saying Miami won 6 of their last 9, they are hot and dangerous. It all boils down to rationality (e.g. this is a bad matchup because they do this well) vs. irrationality (e.g. how people get overconfident/chickenshit based on irrelevant history against certain teams).

As often there is a difference between respecting a team and being able to articulate why (which you are obviously more than capable of) or just looking at someones win/loss record and saying Miami won 6 of their last 9, they are hot and dangerous. It all boils down to rationality (e.g. this is a bad matchup because they do this well) vs. irrationality (e.g. how people get overconfident/chickenshit based on irrelevant history against certain teams).

I get all of that, and I agree. Yet, I also think I might be describing something different:

I just have a irrational desire to treat every team like they are about to beat us next Sunday, just like Belichick does (in his case it is rational to do it). Although I could attempt to rationalize why I do it, it is also just superstitious and fun. It is sort of like how people don't like to talk about when a pitcher is on their way to pitching a perfect game, because they don't want to jinx it. It is also like a fan that always wears their special jersey.

Now I don't actually believe in superstitions or any hocus-pocus; I could make some rational argument about how I am helping to maintain "Patriots way" culture, but obviously my impact in all of that is minuscule. The real reason I do it: I find it fun. I like to pretend I am preparing for the game as if I am a coach, a scout, or a player. I like to internalize Belichick's mantra:

BB: Well of course you always prepare for your opponents’ best. What else would you prepare for? They’re going to come in here and turn over a ball eight times? I mean, you don’t prepare for that. You prepare for a team to come in here and play their best football against you, and how are you going to play your best football against them?… It would be irresponsible to coach a team and tell them, “OK fellas, the team that’s coming in here is not going to play well. So we should expect them to play a bad game, so why don’t we play one that’s just a little better than their bad game?” I think I’d be totally irresponsible. I can’t imagine any coach ever doing that. I mean I couldn’t imagine that. So I wouldn’t know how to prepare a team the way you’re talking about. I couldn’t even fathom that… To me it’s just the most irresponsible thing I’ve ever heard of. I can’t even fathom it.

Bill Belichick Shows Us Why He Is The Best Coach on The Planet – Off The Monster Sports

Last edited:
Every damn year they say this will be the year New England loses the division...still waiting.

@AndyJohnson Acknowledge my acknowledgment of you! :D

Let's give credit where credit is due. The Billdos have won the September Super Bowl a record three straight years. They are now 3 - 4 in the Super Bowl.

3 September wins vs. 4 February losses.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back