Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

2018-2019

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is with the exception of 2016, in the years when Gronk was hurt and in 2015 they had crappy depth at WR3/4/5
Yet they got it done.
That was the point. This roster is built like all the others.

Even with Jules and Hogs as WR1/2 right now that is questionable. I hope Dorsett & Patterson prove me wrong.
WR3 is not a necessity to be a huge part of the offense. Wr4 is not at all a necessity.
Your argument is proving my point. We have never really made wr4 a priority at all and WR3 is a bonus.
I expect Dorsett and Patterson combined (in whatever proportion it turns out to be) to be a very effective WR3.

If Gronk goes down it is a more legitimate concern they will have enough quality intermediate/downfield receivers. Maybe Hollister can step up (which I think is a good possibility)
Any year gronk goes down it gets harder. I just don’t see how we are less equipped to deal with it this year than any other (except when we had Bennett to step in).

No worse than 12-4. Need to see how the OL plays against the Texans.

I think the Pats are gonna get beat up by the Texans in game 1 for lots of reasons - the Texans are healthy (including Watson at QB and he will give them fits), the OL might be missing Brown, they only have three receivers and right now Dorsett and Patterson really aren't proven, Michel is questionable, and the defense really has a lot of questions right now. I see Houston winning like 34-24, something like that. And this place will be in full panic mode.

Yet they got it done.
That was the point. This roster is built like all the others.

Got what done? Sure they made it to the AFCCG but when they needed more downfield pass catchers for Tom they didn't have them.
2018 may be built like the others but the track record is questionable.

WR3 is not a necessity to be a huge part of the offense. Wr4 is not at all a necessity.
Your argument is proving my point. We have never really made wr4 a priority at all and WR3 is a bonus.
I expect Dorsett and Patterson combined (in whatever proportion it turns out to be) to be a very effective WR3.

Thats where we differ. If it were DA and Mitchell (healthy) I'd feel a helluva lot better.

Any year gronk goes down it gets harder. I just don’t see how we are less equipped to deal with it this year than any other (except when we had Bennett to step in).
Because you have confidence in Dorsett and Patterson. They are TBD.

Got what done? Sure they made it to the AFCCG but when they needed more downfield pass catchers for Tom they didn't have them.
2018 may be built like the others but the track record is questionable.
Made it at least to the afccg and had a very good offense.

Thats where we differ. If it were DA and Mitchell (healthy) I'd feel a helluva lot better.
But what your missing is if they earn the ball they will get it, and if not it four elsewhere. We don’t NEED a WR3 to be productive and certainly not a wr4.

Because you have confidence in Dorsett and Patterson. They are TBD.
I have confidence in brady.

You think Edelman is not an appropriate 1? Seems to have worked out well.
That was Then; this is Now.
Asking Edelman to be a #1 WR is unfair, both to him & Brady.
Hogan has been 2 since he arrived.
He is better-suited to be a #3.
Dorsett and Patterson were brought in to be WR3 and WR4.
If they were, then it was a terrible idea to begin with. Dorsett is lucky to have a job here, and Patterson's a Gadget guy, what Slater should've been if he had actual talent.

Let’s do this.
I predict the first 4 weeks are:
3-1 win/loss record.
28 ppg
1100 passing yards for Brady.

What do you predict?

Let’s see who is closer
2-2 (0-2 after first 2 games)
23 ppg (20 ppg after first 2 games)
950 passing yards (450 after first 2 games)

That was Then; this is Now.
Asking Edelman to be a #1 WR is unfair, both to him & Brady.

He is better-suited to be a #3.

If they were, then it was a terrible idea to begin with. Dorsett is lucky to have a job here, and Patterson's a Gadget guy, what Slater should've been if he had actual talent.

2-2 (0-2 after first 2 games)
23 ppg (20 ppg after first 2 games)
950 passing yards (450 after first 2 games)
Ok let’s see who is right.

I think the Pats are gonna get beat up by the Texans in game 1 for lots of reasons - the Texans are healthy (including Watson at QB and he will give them fits), the OL might be missing Brown, they only have three receivers and right now Dorsett and Patterson really aren't proven, Michel is questionable, and the defense really has a lot of questions right now. I see Houston winning like 34-24, something like that. And this place will be in full panic mode.

They have quite a
Someone predicting less than 10 wins has a LOT of precedent working against them.

I was o
Someone predicting less than 10 wins has a LOT of precedent working against them.

It’s not all that far fetched.

Imo they lose to

Vs Texans
Vs Jaguars
Vs Chiefs
Vs Greenbay
Vs Vikings
Vs Miami in Miami
Vs Steelers

That put them at 9-7

I hope I am wrong and they can pull out atleast 2 more wins against those teams, but as of right now I just don’t see it.

But what your missing is if they earn the ball they will get it, and if not it four elsewhere. We don’t NEED a WR3 to be productive and certainly not a wr4.

A disagree. A WR4 is not critical but becomes very important when injuries occur. This team absolutely needs a reliable WR3 that is the 4th intermediate option and to play in case WR2 goes down or Gronk

A disagree. A WR4 is not critical but becomes very important when injuries occur. This team absolutely needs a reliable WR3 that is the 4th intermediate option and to play in case WR2 goes down or Gronk
You can’t ABSOLUTELY NEED something that you only need if you have injuries.

You are saying the team doesn't need a reliable WR3 because they won't play?

If they lose it wouldn’t be surprising. They’re still some question marks with this team. Some analyst have the Texans in the super bowl. We will see if bill made the right moves this offseason with this team.

The depth is thin and can you plz tell me who on this team can beat man coverage if they face a team with corners who get up their face. Edelman is coming back from ACL. Hogan’s not that guy. The others i have no hope for. I hope i am wrong and dorsett adapta to this offense but i have my doubts.

If they lose it wouldn’t be surprising. They’re still some question marks with this team. Some analyst have the Texans in the super bowl. We will see if bill made the right moves this offseason with this team.

I don't think it will be fair to evaluate them after just one game. It will take some time for this team to gel, IMO. So be ready for a rough first few weeks. But it'll settle down and they'll roll.

You are saying the team doesn't need a reliable WR3 because they won't play?
I’m saying if we have a mediocre WR3 we will
work around that and be fine.
When havent we?

I’m saying if we have a mediocre WR3 we will
work around that and be fine.
When havent we?
Depends on what you definition is of "working around it" If you believe one of the reasons losing in the 2006, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2015 playoffs was a lack of quality wide receiver depth then they didn't work around it.

They have quite a

It’s not all that far fetched.

Imo they lose to

Vs Texans
Vs Jaguars
Vs Chiefs
Vs Greenbay
Vs Vikings
Vs Miami in Miami
Vs Steelers

Those are the 'hard' games and they could lose, but if they are a typical good Pats team they *should* split them at worst. The fans of those seven teams doing this exercise probably have the Pats games circled as a potential loss too.

Guess we'll have to see them play the games, it'd be boring otherwise :)

Depends on what you definition is of "working around it" If you believe one of the reasons losing in the 2006, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2015 playoffs was a lack of quality wide receiver depth then they didn't work around it.
They went to the afccg 4 of those years.and had great offenses

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes