Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

2018-2019

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
...and lost for multiple reasons. One was lack of depth in the downfield passcatchers.
So your argument is they only went to the afccg so that is proof of whatever argument you want to make?

I like being able to say: “they only made the afccg”.

When that happens, I blame the LHC has broken reality

So your argument is they only went to the afccg so that is proof of whatever argument you want to make?
It was pretty clear to me in every one of those losses, the lack of depth at WR was a contributing factor to the loss.

Its all the proof I need unless you want back-of the roster Reche Caldwell-types having key roles in the AFCCG in 2018

It was pretty clear to me in every one of those losses, the lack of depth at WR was a contributing factor to the loss.

Its all the proof I need unless you want back-of the roster Reche Caldwell-types having key roles in the AFCCG in 2018.
Yep. Watching Brady having to throw a jump ball to Matty Slater on 3rd down is all the proof I need too.

Its all the proof I need unless you want back-of the roster Reche Caldwell-types having key roles in the AFCCG in 2018
I don’t see that as a major reason at all.
I am fine with our pass catchers. I have bever been happy with any roster that needed to rely on wr5 and wr6. No team can ever hold up to the scrutiny you are placing on this one that if it’s best players get hurt the next guy in line isn’t as good.
We have won an awful lot without WR3 being the key to success and sign WR4 being and afterthought.
It seems that you expect to have 53 starters with 10 more in the practice squad.

If there are injuries, play at the position they occur at will decline. I thought that was understood.

I don’t see that as a major reason at all.
I am fine with our pass catchers. I have bever been happy with any roster that needed to rely on wr5 and wr6. No team can ever hold up to the scrutiny you are placing on this one that if it’s best players get hurt the next guy in line isn’t as good.
We have won an awful lot without WR3 being the key to success and sign WR4 being and afterthought.
It seems that you expect to have 53 starters with 10 more in the practice squad.

If there are injuries, play at the position they occur at will decline. I thought that was understood.

I never said that. WR3 and WR4 are not starters here.

I do expect a WR4 to step in as a WR3 when needed which happened in SB51

I also expect a WR3 to become a WR2 which happened in SB52

I am skeptical we have that ability today.

I never said that. WR3 and WR4 are not starters here.

I am not. One of the 2 you are referring to is Dorsett who is still here.
We use the players we use because of who we have.
When we have a good wr4 he shares the WR3 job. When we don’t, he doesn’t.
We have gronk, and 3 RBs who are anywhere from dangerous to excellent in the passing game.
We virtually always have a receiver on the field who is very unlikely to get the ball. If we call a play that requires a good option as the 5th progression the play was bad.

I am not. One of the 2 you are referring to is Dorsett who is still here.
We use the players we use because of who we have.
When we have a good wr4 he shares the WR3 job. When we don’t, he doesn’t.
We have gronk, and 3 RBs who are anywhere from dangerous to excellent in the passing game.
We virtually always have a receiver on the field who is very unlikely to get the ball. If we call a play that requires a good option as the 5th progression the play was bad.
Meh on Dorsett. Lots to proove.

Our RBs are outstanding.....but are not WRs.

This team can win a SB with Jules/Hogs/Gronk as the top 3 targets and White/Burk the primary receivers out of the backfield but a DA-type safety net is a clear missing piece.

Meh on Dorsett. Lots to proove.
You just used him in the Sb as the example of what we need.

Our RBs are outstanding.....but are not WRs.
Edelman and hogan are fine. Patterson and/or Dorsett can contribute. Having the best nonWR receivers on the NFL lessens the reliance on backup WRs.
This team can win a SB with Jules/Hogs/Gronk as the top 3 targets and White/Burk the primary receivers out of the backfield but a DA-type safety net is a clear missing piece.
Those 5 play a bigger role if the 6th guy isn’t getting open.
Hell Amendola spent half his career here barely seeing the ball.

You just used him in the Sb as the example of what we need.
Of course because they didn't need him as DA, Hogs and Gronk had monster games

Edelman and hogan are fine. Patterson and/or Dorsett can contribute. Having the best nonWR receivers on the NFL lessens the reliance on backup WRs.

Those 5 play a bigger role if the 6th guy isn’t getting open.

They can't afford any of those players going on IR.

Hell Amendola spent half his career here barely seeing the ball.

Insurance is something you don't need unless you need it.

Of course because they didn't need him as DA, Hogs and Gronk had monster games
My point exactly.

They can't afford any of those players going on IR.
What team can afford their top players going on IR?

Insurance is something you don't need unless you need it.
No one has starting caliber Wr4 and wr5.

Living dangerously.

Teams with great depth and the current WR corps doesn't have it

The question is which teams have a starting-caliber WR3 and right now the NEP sure as hell don't.
I have zero concern at all that tom brady and josh McDaniel can make Patterson and/or Dorsett part of a great offense as WR3.
Zero.

I have zero concern at all that tom brady and josh McDaniel can make Patterson and/or Dorsett part of a great offense as WR3.
Zero.
Good debate. Tom and Josh are not the concern.

Until either one of those guys does it in games consistently and don't pull a Doug Gabriel (vanish) in the process, I'm hedging my bets.

Good debate. Tom and Josh are not the concern.
No they are the reason not to be concerned.

Until either one of those guys does it in games consistently and don't pull a Doug Gabriel (vanish) in the process, I'm hedging my bets.
If they do they do, if they don’t brady finds another way.
We have won at least 12 games 8 straight years and gone to the afccg or further 7 straight.
I seriously doubt we are going to be destroyed by a complementary role that we often not relied upon when the coaching staff chose to bring in a guy who in 4 of his 5 season in the nfl has average 40 receptions and a guy we had here a year and liked enough to bring back because we lost Amendola who caught 46 passes a season as a patriot.

When we spread the field there is always a te and a rb.

This allows max flexibility in both play call and dictating personnel grouping on the opposing defensive side not to mention declaring before the play if it's man or zone with motion.

In both cases that WR depth was due to rookie deals being in place. That significantly skews the ability for a team to have that depth you speak of because the WR depth you crave in every year is VERY cap unfriendly. All that means is you absolutely can have that WR depth, at cost somewhere else.

You don't think the team counted on Mitchell to continue to be that depth, on a rookie deal? Of course they did, but his body didn't cooperate.

So two quotes, same theme:

No plan survives first contact.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Luckily no other team in the NFL over the past two decades has evolved on the fly to answer those quotes better than the Pats.

11-5

And that’s being optimistic.

It will win the division but the playoffs could be tough as they are really thin at WR and LB, and possibly OL

In both cases that WR depth was due to rookie deals being in place. That significantly skews the ability for a team to have that depth you speak of because the WR depth you crave in every year is VERY cap unfriendly. All that means is you absolutely can have that WR depth, at cost somewhere else.

You don't think the team counted on Mitchell to continue to be that depth, on a rookie deal? Of course they did, but his body didn't cooperate.

So two quotes, same theme:

No plan survives first contact.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Luckily no other team in the NFL over the past two decades has evolved on the fly to answer those quotes better than the Pats.
I don't see rookie deals as the reason DA or Hogs played on SB52.

Every year is different. Hope is not a strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back