PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Texans Trade Osweiler To Browns

Status
Not open for further replies.
???

They just picked up a boatload of picks and they have like infinite cap space

When have they ever done anything with it? Historically, they pick bad players. They just traded for one of the single worst quarterbacks in the NFL. Right now they're all potential, and no substance.

Like I said.. this trade has no effect on Jimmy..

Dead money would have been huge. They clear most of his salary off the books with a trade.
Cutting clears his salary too.
Isn't the hit left the same whether you trade or cut?

I've been saying over and over, this new Browns FO is making some interesting decisions. I couldn't find a link, but they have A **** ton of players in their first contract and they keep pouring down in Draft Ammo.

They got DePodesta (AKA Moneyball guy) as a strategy chief and this guys is genius. I don't know if his work can be translated to the NFL like he did in Baseball, but they are building the scheme and finding pieces for it, not the other way around.

I like this move a lot. If they can find a good QB within the next 3 years and hit in a good quantity of those picks, I'll be extremely impressed

And they now have one of the best OLs in football potentially.

When have they ever done anything with it? Historically, they pick bad players. They just traded for one of the single worst quarterbacks in the NFL. Right now they're all potential, and no substance.

Osweiler's never going to play a down for them and "history" means nothing when you're dealing with a new coaching and management staff from last season.

But they would get the same cap relief by cutting him no?
Had they cut him, the cap hit would be the $10 MM they are taking plus the $16MM cash for a total of $26 MM

No. Cleveland agreed to take on Osweiller's remaining $16 million guarantee. If the Texans cut Osweiller, they would have had to take that as a cap hit.

Brock went from potentially being the staring QB of the defending super bowl champion to the Browns, who might flat out cut him.

Someone needs to be on suicide watch.

So basically, the Texans traded a 2nd and a 6th in exchange for a 4th and cap relief. Lol.

Incredible.

Cutting Osweiler would have cost the Texans $25 million against the cap this year, because dead money for releasing is prorated signing bonus plus base salary. When you trade a player, the prorated signing bonus stays on your cap but the base salary goes to the other team.

Releasing Osweiler would have cost the Texans something like $8 million in net cap space this year versus keeping him on the roster, while trading him saves net $10 million this year and more in future years. Only $12 million of Osweiler's $72 million contract was in a signing bonus, so his contract was actually very tradeable by NFL standards.

IIRC the details of his contract....

Before the trade they still had $9 million of the signing bonus left to hit the cap, plus $16 million in guaranteed 2017 salary. So $3 million of the signing bonus plus $16 million in salary would hit this year for a $19M cap hit PLUS another $6M in dead money.

This way they just bite a $9M salary cap hit and they're done with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST