PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Texans Trade Osweiler To Browns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to get a huge package from them.

tumblr_n55rbyT8dh1s3pnt4o1_400.gif

I hope Bill is careful. Of course the preferred scenario is Bill asks for an exorbitant price, then "settles" for a really, really good price.

But I hope BB doesn't push his demands so high that all the other teams say "OK, now you're just pulling our chains" and stop trying.

They'll deal with it because Belichick controls the hottest commodity in football.. a legitimate starting QB

He has all the leverage in the world, Jimmy is under contract next year on an extremely team friendly deal and then they can franchise him next year if they want

Just have to laugh that the Texans had to give up a 2nd round pick to get rid of Osweiler because Rick Smith is a moron. Watt and Hopkins have bought that guy a lot of rope it appears. But then again McNair's an idiot

I think smith rolled the dice. Unfortunately he lost but I can't blame him for going all in.

If it has worked, he would be a genius and maybe a genius with a ring.

Fortunately for us it didn't.

as a houstonian

he is terrible......awful.......worse than you could ever imagine

but he seems like a good guy

he got his money.......wish him the best

So whomever the Browns draft in the needs to be worth a 8m(?) PLUS his 2nd round salary?

I liked this trade by the Browns at first but in thinking more about it I think I'd prefer a Belichickian approach.

Take the 16m and pay to get higher quality backups/depth.

That or use the money in FA for a known quantity.

Then again, maybe they got the 2nd to make a trade with.

Last edited:
My understanding is that they can decline the team option on Brock after one year. Essentially, they bought a second round pick for 17 million. Tells me they are really dedicated to turning things around.

So whomever the Browns draft in the needs to be worth a 8m(?) PLUS his 2nd round salary?

I liked this trade by the Browns at first but in thinking more about it I think I'd prefer a Belichickian approach.

Take the 16m and pay to get higher quality backups/depth.

That or use the money in FA for a known quantity.

Then again, maybe they got the 2nd to make a trade with.

Except that's not the way to look at it.

The Browns would struggle to get to this year's spending floor and eating this contract is only this year.

The 2nd gets assets to use over multiple years.

Contracts are multiple years so that only means you have to sign guys for multiple years.

That screws the long term plan.

The Browns in 2018 would not due this deal.

BTW somebody asked Miguel seemingly crazy Q: can you trade a cap space.

Well, here's the answer..

Every trade involves trading cap space, in some form or the other. It is usually overlooked by the analysts.
In this case, Cleveland just traded $17M of 2017 cap space to Houston. It isn't hard to understand.

Just have to laugh that the Texans had to give up a 2nd round pick to get rid of Osweiler because Rick Smith is a moron. Watt and Hopkins have bought that guy a lot of rope it appears. But then again McNair's an idiot

as a houstonian

Essentially the Browns bought a draft pick and have an overpaid back up.

Imagine being the first NFL* player, who is so terrible, that the team will staple a high draft pick you just to get you off the team after you were there for one season.

As the saying goes, "this will not look good on a resume".

as a houstonian

Hey James! How are you?

So they essentially paid the browns a second round pick to take him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST