PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taking stock of the playoff races at the quarter pole of the NFL season

That particular poster is a liar who's just trolling. He'd complain about anything at this point.
He's mad that his mom didn't wash his Lebron jersey or his Washington Nationals shirt for school this morning.

If we were 4-0 right now there would be no complaints about this thread.

We've done these premature posts about contenders in the past before, and frankly they are futile at this point. We're barely into the season. The first month is essentially preseason for every team, especially this year. And I guarantee you this will turn into a Bucs thread...

Couldn't be any more worthless to talk about the playoff standings 4 weeks in.

We've done these premature posts about contenders in the past before, and frankly they are futile at this point. We're barely into the season. The first month is essentially preseason for every team, especially this year.
That's your opinion but to say that it belongs in OT is flat out trolling. It's you dragging your same crap from the Bucs thread into other threads.

That's your opinion but to say that it belongs in OT is flat out trolling. It's you dragging your same crap from the Bucs thread into other threads.

Considering the fact that the Pats are not even mentioned in the OP, it ought to be an OT thread... :rolleyes:

Maybe because they're not currently in the playoff picture? Anyways I am done with this.

Well, it would be nice if the OP mentioned how the Pats are on the outside looking in or if we could have a discussion on how the PATS fit in to the overall playoff picture...

Anyway, go back to your Bucs thread...

People are complete morons if they think the Pats beat Denver w Hoyer or Stidham...

Well, it would be nice if the OP mentioned how the Pats are on the outside looking in

If they're not currently in playoffs, and they're not, then they're on the outside looking in. That shouldn't need to be said, since it's absurdly obvious.

or if we could have a discussion on how the PATS fit in to the overall playoff picture...

And you could have done that. Instead, you decided to try ****ting all over another thread.

Anyway, go back to your Bucs thread...

And there it is. Given the new guidelines around here, you should be banned for what you're doing.

If they're not currently in playoffs, and they're not, then they're on the outside looking in. That shouldn't need to be said, since it's absurdly obvious.

And you could have done that. Instead, you decided to try ****ting all over another thread.

And there it is. Given the new guidelines around here, you should be banned for what you're doing.
IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE PATS IN THE PLAYOFF PICTURE WHETHER THEY ARE CURRENTLY IN IT OR NOT YOU'RE NOT A TRUE FAN LIKE ME!!

Now what did my mom do with my with my Nationals hat?!?

I don't care whom the Pats play; the offense as currently constituted, with it without Newton, can't overcome 3 or 4 turnovers and leaving points on the board like schittbag waste of space Hoyer did last night

This topic is already 3 pages too long.

LOL @ talking about "playoff races" in week 4.

It would be just as useless a thread as it is now, and I'd have no problem saying so.

2001 NEP: 1-3, out of the playoff picture.
2003 NEP: 2-2, out of the playoff picture.
2014 NEP: 2-2, out of the playoff picture.
2018 NEP: 2-2, out of the playoff picture.

That’s 4 of the 6 Super Bowl winning years where the Pats were 7-9 teams at best at this point. I don’t care, I can’t stand it!

The real question is, do the Pats have what it takes to go on a run against the remainder of its schedule and make an impact in the playoffs? IMO, given how they played through week 4, the answer is yes if Newton plays. If Newton can’t, then we’re just another team with bad QBs. Hoyer was supposed to be a caretaker QB who wouldn’t mess things up, but he’s clearly not that.

This team just started 2 late round rookies in the OL and started James Ferentz at C, all without Scar, yet ran over KC and had great passing protection all night. That’s a very positive sign.

We’ll see if they can claw back in it, but I’m cautiously optimistic right now.

I'll predict they have just enough firepower to get to 10 wins, but thats about it. I think the bills finish with 11. Whether our 10 wins is enough to secure a spot with the current AFC north landscape is a good question with 4 games to go. Gonna be a tough year.

Where things stand vs preseason expectations at the ¼ pole, IMHO:

AFC East:
I figured Buffalo would have lost to the Rams and be 3-1 rather than 4-0, but other than that the records are about what I expected.
Pats at 2-2 with losses at Seattle and at KC is what I had anticipated, as is Miami at 1-3 and the Jets looking like an 0-16 team.

AFC North:
Pittsburgh being 3-0 is not a surprise given those wins were against the Giants, Broncos and Texans; had the game vs Tennessee been played that would have given us a better sense of how good they are. To me the big surprise is Cleveland, specifically their offense (31 points per game, #1 in AFC).

AFC South:
The Texans had to begin the season with games against the Chiefs, Ravens, Steelers and Vikings, so it is not a surprise that they are 0-4. Cal McNair continues his father's legacy of kneejerk reactions without a plan by firing Bill O'Brien (though to be fair, the GM duties should have been taken away from BOB). 1-3 Jacksonville has played much better than I thought they would, with two close losses. I'm not sold on the 3-1 Colts yet; let's see how they do in November when they play the Ravens, Packers and Titans twice in a four-week stretch.

AFC West:
A bit surprised that KC has struggled as much as they have (in wins vs the Chargers and Patriots). The Raiders have looked very good so far, but they now play at KC, Tampa, at Browns, at Chargers, Broncos, KC and at Atlanta. It's possible they could be no better than 4-7 or maybe 5-6 - though their December schedule gets much easier.

NFC East:
I wonder if Fox will continue to jam this division down our throats week after week? We knew Washington and NYG would be bad, but Dallas has the NFL's worst offense, and Philadelphia's wide receiving corps is even worse than the Pats, plus their offensive line is a mess. The NFCE could very well set a record for the worst collective won-loss record since the NFL split into four divisions.

NFC North:
I thought the Vikings would win this division, but their defense is atrocious, against both the pass and the run. Detroit is another disappointment; I thought they would improve after going 0-8 in games when Stafford was out with an injury last year. The bigger surprise is 3-1 Chicago, who I had pegged as a last place team that would be in line for a top ten draft pick. I don't think the Bears keep it up though. Every win has been by four points: two against underachievers that find ways to lose (Lions, Falcons), and the other was against the Giants. Let's see what their record is on Dec 1 after they play Tampa, at Carolina, at Rams, Saints, at Titans, Vikings, and at Packers. Green Bay should have an easy path to the division title.

NFC South:
Slight surprise that the 2-2 Panthers have played as well as they have, and that the Falcons are 0-4. The two 40 year old quarterbacks still look good - but have also had a few plays where they are starting to show their age.

NFC West:
Seattle's defense has appeared to be very vulnerable; they are fortunate to be 4-0. I don't know if the Rams have enough on offense to win the division. The Niners have had so many injuries, I don't know if they can catch either LA or Seattle.

With the extra team in the playoffs, could we see two divisions send three teams to the playoffs? In the NFC it is obvious the NFCE will have only one playoff team. It is possible that the third place NFCW team could be better than the second place NFCN team, setting up something like this:

East: one team (Phil/Dallas)
North: Green Bay
South: Bucs/Saints
West: Seattle, Rams, Niners

Similarly, in the AFC:
East: Bills, Pats
North: Ravens, Steelers, Browns
South: Titans
West: Chiefs

The AFC is less likely to happen, with intra-division games likely to hurt Cleveland's chances to the point where the Colts would finish ahead of the Browns.

The ignore thread button would work on this thread too.

No that's ok. You can look at teams at the quarter pole... but talking about who is in or out, or the idea of a playoff race in week 4 is completely worthless. I'm sure you know that already and I don't have to explain why.

2001 NEP: 1-3, out of the playoff picture.
2003 NEP: 2-2, out of the playoff picture.
2014 NEP: 2-2, out of the playoff picture.
2018 NEP: 2-2, out of the playoff picture.

That’s 4 of the 6 Super Bowl winning years where the Pats were 7-9 teams at best at this point. I don’t care, I can’t stand it!

The real question is, do the Pats have what it takes to go on a run against the remainder of its schedule and make an impact in the playoffs? IMO, given how they played through week 4, the answer is yes if Newton plays. If Newton can’t, then we’re just another team with bad QBs. Hoyer was supposed to be a caretaker QB who wouldn’t mess things up, but he’s clearly not that.

This team just started 2 late round rookies in the OL and started James Ferentz at C, all without Scar, yet ran over KC and had great passing protection all night. That’s a very positive sign.

We’ll see if they can claw back in it, but I’m cautiously optimistic right now.

2-2 isn't any kind of death sentence. But, for example, you already know by week 3 that certain teams are in deep trouble:

Since 1980, only 3.4% of teams to start 0-3 made the playoffs!

and certain teams are looking good:

Since 1980, 136 of the 180 teams (75.5 percent) to start 3-0 made the playoffs.

History of NFL Teams That Start 0-3 and 3-0

and we're a week beyond that.

No that's ok. You can look at teams at the quarter pole... but talking about who is in or out, or the idea of a playoff race in week 4 is completely worthless. I'm sure you know that already and I don't have to explain why.

You're talking out of your ass again. So, to repeat:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back