PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers - Titans TNF

LOL, Justice League has a 37% on Rotten Tomatoes. Will I be seeing it in IMAX later on today anyway? Sure will.

Rotten Tomatoes seems like the Hater version of IMDB.

Oh, I believe our A game beats their A game almost every single time, but I also think their defense is much improved, and that their development of yet another rookie wideout in addition to their 2 other ones + Bell has the potential to be problematic.

I still think we’re looking at anywhere between a 55-60 percent chance of going there and winning, even with their home streak (playing 4/5 at Heinz) and our away streak (5/6 on the road), but this idea that “they may be able to win if we play a terrible game” may be a bit optimistic. That said, I don’t ever take any competition lightly, so that’s where part of my reservation comes from. I think the gap narrows when you throw good teams/playoff teams into the mix. This isn’t the Chargers or Jets or Broncos or Bucs. I’m just wondering if they don’t end up playing twice from mid-Dec on.

I guess I just find it ironic that the “we own Pittsburgh” (except for 2004, 2008, and 2011) argument somehow holds water here, but people chose to totally ignore the historic struggles of going to Mile High, saying that each year is different. You can’t really have it both ways. It’s a bit homerish for me, but sometimes logic doesn’t apply on fan site messageboards. I guess I'd be more at ease if we saw some stats that pointed towards Pittsburgh’s struggles in the secondary, run game, etc. Ben hasn’t looked the same away from Heinz field where they started the year in 6/9 games, but he’s always been much better at home, so I’m expecting some improved offensive production to balance out a mediocre start, much like we saw last night. In the end, I still think we win. I’m just not sure if that’s in Dec or Jan. I also think that they’ll get upset by someone prior to the mid-Dec game, since they play down to sub-.500 teams.

""I guess I just find it ironic that the “we own Pittsburgh” (except for 2004, 2008, and 2011) argument somehow holds water here, but people chose to totally ignore the historic struggles of going to Mile High, saying that each year is different. You can’t really have it both ways.""

Come on Sup, I know you aren't new to reading NFL fan posts and the long standing tradition of wanting it both ways :)

((assuming this stat page was correct))(not counting the Cassell game)
8-2 under Brady, 4-0 at home, 4-2 at Pitt.
Since Tomlin(07) as the head coach it's 6-1
Brady's stats (final score)(def ranking PA) against Tomlin's Steelers:

12/9/2007: 32 of 46 for 399 yards, 4 TDs 0 INTs, 125.2 passer rating (23-13)(2)

11/14/2010: 30 of 43 for 350 yards, 3 TDs 0 INTs, 117.4 passer rating (39-26)(1)

10/30/2011: 24 of 35 for 198 yards, 2 TDs 0 INTs, 101.8 passer rating
(25-17)(1)

11/3/2013: 23 of 33 for 432 yards, 4 TDs 0 INTs, 151.8 passer rating (55-31)(14)

9/10/2015: 25 of 32 for 288 yards, 4 TDs 0 INTs, 143.7 passer rating (28-21)(11)

10/23/2016: 19 of 26 for 222 yards, 2 TDs 0 INTs, 124.2 passer rating(27-16)(10)

01/22/2017: 32 of 42 for 384 yards, 3 TDs 0 INTs, 127.5 passer rating (36-17)(10)

I can't speak for others and winning or losing the next game isn't determined by last year's stats. But it is a fair reading that BB and TB have notable success when playing a Pitt team that otherwise beats most of their opponents, no?

The stat that looks to be a good thing for the Steelers: last time they had the #1 D and faced the Patriots is the last time they beat the Patriots (they had one seriously stingy D in 2011, 14 points per game, 271 yards per game, lead almost every category).

Rotten Tomatoes seems like the Hater version of IMDB.
Metacritic is probably the most useful, since it includes all of the major media outlets, sites, papers, reviewers, etc. They currently have it as a 46.

I haven’t watched many of the superhero movies (okay, none of them) but I don’t think too many people will be deterred by a relatively low score due to what they likely deem lack of quality plot. I think most of their fans are diehards who just enjoy the entertainment.

My impression of most critics is that they think they come off as smart if they can make cynical, smarmy negative remarks about a movie.

""I guess I just find it ironic that the “we own Pittsburgh” (except for 2004, 2008, and 2011) argument somehow holds water here, but people chose to totally ignore the historic struggles of going to Mile High, saying that each year is different. You can’t really have it both ways.""

Come on Sup, I know you aren't new to reading NFL fan posts and the long standing tradition of wanting it both ways :)

((assuming this stat page was correct))(not counting the Cassell game)
8-2 under Brady, 4-0 at home, 4-2 at Pitt.
Since Tomlin(07) as the head coach it's 6-1
Brady's stats (final score)(def ranking PA) against Tomlin's Steelers:

12/9/2007: 32 of 46 for 399 yards, 4 TDs 0 INTs, 125.2 passer rating (23-13)(2)

11/14/2010: 30 of 43 for 350 yards, 3 TDs 0 INTs, 117.4 passer rating (39-26)(1)

10/30/2011: 24 of 35 for 198 yards, 2 TDs 0 INTs, 101.8 passer rating
(25-17)(1)

11/3/2013: 23 of 33 for 432 yards, 4 TDs 0 INTs, 151.8 passer rating (55-31)(14)

9/10/2015: 25 of 32 for 288 yards, 4 TDs 0 INTs, 143.7 passer rating (28-21)(11)

10/23/2016: 19 of 26 for 222 yards, 2 TDs 0 INTs, 124.2 passer rating(27-16)(10)

01/22/2017: 32 of 42 for 384 yards, 3 TDs 0 INTs, 127.5 passer rating (36-17)(10)

I can't speak for others and winning or losing the next game isn't determined by last year's stats. But it is a fair reading that BB and TB have notable success when playing a Pitt team that otherwise beats most of their opponents, no?

The stat that looks to be a good thing for the Steelers: last time they had the #1 D and faced the Patriots is the last time they beat the Patriots (they had one seriously stingy D in 2011, 14 points per game, 271 yards per game, lead almost every category).
Great to review Brady’s dominance historically speaking, but I’ll feel a bit better once we start to go through the individual breakdowns and specific matchups. I think that Pittsburgh played a fair amount of zone coverage in the past, and all I’ve heard since January here in every barbershop, bar, etc was how they were dedicating their offseason to attempting to matchup better with NE. I think they’ve at least narrowed the gap with additional speed and higher quality secondary players. Burns (1st rounder) and Davis (2nd rounder) add a lot to the acquisition of Joe Haden, and Mitchell isn’t great but he’s definitely serviceable as a hard (dirty) hitting safety.

As we know, Tuitt and Heyward are very good in the front seven, and Hargrave has come on nicely. The LBs are clearly the deepest and most talented in the NFL. Dupree’s pass rushing coach helped to develop guys like Aaron Donald and Von Miller, so their first round investment looks solid there. TJ Watt looks like a playmaker. Lots of speed. Ryan Shazier is another top level first rounder. We all know about James Harrison, who they’ve had on a pitch count. Vince Williams rounds out their top 5 LBs. That’s saying a lot right there.

The D should be able to hold us to 24-27, which would be a major improvement on some of the higher scoring games that you listed above. Of course, if our defense continues on this path we can argue the same thing. I just think assuming a game on the road against a team that’s clearly improved based on past results is faulty, but that’s just my opinion. Obviously, Brady and Belichick seem to know what the hell they're doing with Pittsburgh, so I’m hoping that continues.

Great to review Brady’s dominance historically speaking, but I’ll feel a bit better once we start to go through the individual breakdowns and specific matchups. I think that Pittsburgh played a fair amount of zone coverage in the past, and all I’ve heard since January here in every barbershop, bar, etc was how they were dedicating their offseason to attempting to matchup better with NE. I think they’ve at least narrowed the gap with additional speed and higher quality secondary players. Burns (1st rounder) and Davis (2nd rounder) add a lot to the acquisition of Joe Haden, and Mitchell isn’t great but he’s definitely serviceable as a hard (dirty) hitting safety.

As we know, Tuitt and Heyward are very good in the front seven, and Hargrave has come on nicely. The LBs are clearly the deepest and most talented in the NFL. Dupree’s pass rushing coach helped to develop guys like Aaron Donald and Von Miller, so their first round investment looks solid there. TJ Watt looks like a playmaker. Lots of speed. Ryan Shazier is another top level first rounder. We all know about James Harrison, who they’ve had on a pitch count. Vince Williams rounds out their top 5 LBs. That’s saying a lot right there.

The D should be able to hold us to 24-27, which would be a major improvement on some of the higher scoring games that you listed above. Of course, if our defense continues on this path we can argue the same thing. I just think assuming a game on the road against a team that’s clearly improved based on past results is faulty, but that’s just my opinion. Obviously, Brady and Belichick seem to know what the hell they're doing with Pittsburgh, so I’m hoping that continues.

Steelers have mostly played zone again this year

Saw the stats on that 2011 matchup where they beat us. They had the ball almost 40 minutes compared to 20 for us and we where 3 out ot 10 on 3rd downs. The pats where hardly on the field on offense.

Any given Sunday and the game's in their place. Gonna have to execute very well.

Haden broke his fibula - doubtful he'll be back for week 15 - doubtful he'll be his old self this year.

Mitchell has an Achilles injury and is day-to-day, but who knows with an Achilles?

Pittsburgh has been very fortunate with injuries this year, but they're starting to get banged up. Haden would be an enormous loss to that secondary.

Even though I never claimed otherwise, I’m not as sure about that as you seem to be. I had assumed that like any other team, they played a mix of zone and man coverages dependent upon various factors, but that isn’t even the point. What I said was that they changed their personnel in an attempt to be able to play Brady/NE better, by bringing in more man coverage players, which they certainly have.

Last edited:
Haden broke his fibula - doubtful he'll be back for week 15 - doubtful he'll be his old self this year.

Mitchell has an Achilles injury and is day-to-day, but who knows with an Achilles?

Pittsburgh has been very fortunate with injuries this year, but they're starting to get banged up. Haden would be an enormous loss to that secondary.
Haden is something to keep an eye on, but all of the initial reports stated that they expected him back in about 3-4 weeks (edit: now could be 4-6) since it was just a hairline fracture.

He’s already missed 2 games. I’d be pleasantly surprised if he wasn’t able to go in 4 1/2 more weeks from now. I’m thinking they’ll play it cautiously and let him heal until the 12-17 NE game.

Last edited:
Saw the stats on that 2011 matchup where they beat us. They had the ball almost 40 minutes compared to 20 for us and we where 3 out ot 10 on 3rd downs. The pats where hardly on the field on offense.

Any given Sunday and the game's in their place. Gonna have to execute very well.
You're right, somehow that game is erased from my memory. Weird, 5 points for the Steelers in the fourth quarter.
The Steelers scored first and never looked back. If I recall correctly, had it not been for a Gary Guyton red zone INT the game would’ve been much worse. It would’ve been 24-7 or at least 21-7 at the half. The Steelers were up double digits to start both halves. They were actually up 23-10 with about 2:00 minutes remaining, but we scored a garbage time TD with about 2 mins left, so the score appears to be closer than it was.

The 5 points in the 4th came because Troy Polamalu hit the ball out of the back of the end zone causing a safety after a Brady strip sack.

Brady had a passer rating of almost 101.8, with 2 TDs and 0 INTs, so it’s not like he played a bad game at all. He was 24/35 on the day.

Gronkowski had 7 catches for 94 yards. Hernandez and Branch both caught TDs. Welker caught 6 balls. The defense sacked Roethlisberger 5 times and even picked him off in the red zone.

And even still, the game was never really in doubt, so those claiming that “Pittsburgh has to play a perfect game,” or that “New England would really have to make a lot of mistakes” are just wrong. Some games just go a certain way. It happens.

And without Haden, they'll play almost exclusively zone. If they don't, it will be an even longer afternoon.

Brady had a passer rating of almost 101.8, with 2 TDs and 0 INTs, so it’s not like he played a bad game at all. He was 24/35 on the day.

Gronkowski had 7 catches for 94 yards. Hernandez and Branch both caught TDs. Welker caught 6 balls. The defense sacked Roethlisberger 5 times and even picked him off in the red zone.

And even still, the game was never really in doubt, so those claiming that “Pittsburgh has to play a perfect game,” or that “New England would really have to make a lot of mistakes” are just wrong. Some games just go a certain way. It happens.

Steelers had borderline "great defenses" in 04 afc title , 05 07 and 10...and brady absolutely shredded these number one defenses

Since 2004 brady has 24 TD to 0 INT against Pitt Ds...that is absurd

Pitts D really isn't that much better than last year until proven otherwise. They simply haven't been tested against an elite QB. Also your "man cover" guy Haden is out with a broken Fibula.

Haden is something to keep an eye on, but all of the initial reports stated that they expected him back in about 3 weeks since it was just a hairline fracture.

He’s already missed 2 games. I’d be pleasantly surprised if he wasn’t able to go in 4 1/2 more weeks from now. I’m thinking they’ll play it cautiously and let him heal until the 12-17 NE game.

I was searching around for news on Haden. I think the CW is 5 or 6 weeks with the most optimistic being 3 weeks. Based on this it appears his availability for the Patriots game is likely.

Regarding another point: man coverage versus zone. There certainly was a lot of talk during the offseason about Pittsburgh lamenting their inability to play man against the Patriots. The CW was they employed the Houston: drop up to 8 into a zone and frustrate Brady's drop and pop rhythm (lamenting that whatever they did it didn't work).
Not a ton of fodder on what they are doing this season except using a lot more "complexity". The suggestion is they are mixing it up, some man, hybrids, disguised zone, using zone with a number of blitz packages (suggesting they can do a very good two deep - man hybrid).
Of course I'm not convinced man coverage is the winner against Brady -- especially with plenty of targets that can win their single coverage battle. Calling on my fading memory :) it seems as the winner against Brady is the "Houston" or before that it was the "Baltimore". Satisfactory run D/keeping downs and distances in the middle or above range, overfill the middle/passing lanes with a zone using a minimalist pass rush that still collapses the pocket in a relatively reasonable amount of time. ((again just based on my recollection -- not stats based)). A team can do that and it's uphill for our offense to thrive. Otherwise the offense sufficiently thrives the vast majority of the time (an outright poor OL performance helping to explain many).
Looking forward to the matchup and seeing how much Pitt uses man/hybrid with frequent blitzes. Hopefully if the score turns out the wrong way they give BB/JM plenty of film on what needs to be corrected for the theoretical playoff matchup.

Also your "man cover" guy Haden is out with a broken Fibula.
As stated by others, Haden is expected to be back by the beginning of December, while the Patriots game isn’t until 12/17. But who cares about Haden when you have Burns (first rounder) and Davis (second rounder) to pair with him. The decision to play more man coverage was also the reason why they retained Mitchell and moved on from ****rell. Brady and company may once again prove how much better they are, but there shouldn’t be much debate about Pittsburgh improving their secondary.

Also, your statement that they haven’t been playing more man coverage is incorrect, as I just watched a segment about it. It seems as though your opinion of an easy victory is based on nothing more than past games, and that you aren’t really interested in discussing any actual matchups/advantages/disadvantages of the upcoming game.

And without Haden, they'll play almost exclusively zone. If they don't, it will be an even longer afternoon.
I’m going with Dr.Chao’s opinion, which is in the 4-6 game timeframe. The game is still about a month away, so there’s another 4 weeks right there. Everyone here in town seems to be very optimistic about him returning, so we’ll have to see. The popular thought seems to be that it was just a hairline fracture. The initial diagnosis was that he could be back in 3-4 weeks, although that seemed to be wishful thinking for Steelers fans, to me.

Anyway, lots of worthless talk about one fringe player in my opinion. Haden hasn’t even really done that much. I just used him as an example of how they drafted/retained/picked up secondary personnel that was better suited to play man coverage.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back