PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford traded to Rams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name me the players in their prime that took a discount to play with Brady because I can't recall any. A guy like Revis didn't take a discount to play with Brady, he took a discount because he was getting paid by Tampa still and could go to a contender for a lesser deal. Gilmore didn't come cheap, he had a top of the market deal. Brandin Cooks was traded for. Amendola got a big deal for a guy that hadn't done much and guys like Brandon LaFell, Chris Hogan and Brandon Lloyd got their market.

I mean this seems to be the narrative that is starting to be built going into free agency that no one wants to come to the Pats because Brady isn't here, so no more discounts but I honestly can't remember any player in their prime taking a discount to come to NE.
Revis could have went anywhere in the league. He came here because he knew he would win. He also could have charged most teams anything. Amendola took pay cuts damn near every year to stay here and win. Gronk always gave us heavy incentive based contracts and said he would only play with Brady and then followed him to his new team.

This is similar to the type of spending fans suggest all the time... let's see if it works. The Rams are on the clock, so far they have zero rings to show for their free spending ways.
On paper it's a good roster and maybe Stafford gives them the QB play they need to win it all. But also, they're over $30m beyond the cap limit and need to get rid of guys and restructure a lot of contracts just to play. So who knows what the roster actually looks like by Week 1.

This insinuation in the article that he doesn't wanna be the guy to replace the guy who failed to replace "The Guy" is the biggest ***** made **** I've ever heard. If it's true good I'm glad we didn't get this coward

Either the whole "anywhere but New England" is just some embellished drama (it's Curran, who has been a bit dramatic the last couple years, so not farfetched), or the guy just really really hated Matt Patricia.

Either the whole "anywhere but New England" is just some embellished drama (it's Curran, who has been a bit dramatic the last couple years, so not farfetched), or the guy just really really hated Matt Patricia.
I'm thinking it is very likely embellished. Even if he thought that way what player would make such a thing public and drive the price down for his team?

It doesn't matter anyway - if the Pats paid what the Rams did then I'd want BB sent packing immediately.

For reference - the source for the Stafford-hating-NE thing is: "This comes from a source whose team was heavily involved in Stafford trade negotiations but failed to land him."

So... not anyone on the Pats... or the Lions... or their agents... but from some other 3rd team who wanted Stafford but didn't get him.

1. Why would some other team know this, if true?
2. A team needing a QB spreading a rumor that some other team needing a QB also (the Pats) is a bad destination definitely seems suspicious to me. Could be a team trying to get Watson/another QB, trying to drive down the price by making their competition seem undesirable. Could be San Francisco, trying to limit NE's options so they pony up a pick for Garoppolo. Could be Irsay or Woody who just want to stick it to NE.

Without a doubt. Caserio is probably dancing right now. He'd better get the biggest haul we've seen in a long time or he's going to look foolish.

Maybe SF will take a second and another pick for Jimmy G to throw into a massive offer to Houston.

I don't see the Pats getting much better than Jimmy at this point in the market
There are two teams who I think are stupid enough to pay more than that for Watson. They are Washington and the Jetes. If the Jetes make the trade, it will be Darnold, a 2nd this year and 1sts in 2022 and 2023.. Washington would have to make it 3 firsts.. And I'm hoping it's them and not the Jetes..

I think the Stafford didn't want to come to NE because pf Patricia being here. If the Pats hadn't brought him back, I think Stafford wouldn't have been against coming here.

Revis could have went anywhere in the league. He came here because he knew he would win. He also could have charged most teams anything. Amendola took pay cuts damn near every year to stay here and win. Gronk always gave us heavy incentive based contracts and said he would only play with Brady and then followed him to his new team.
My recollection is that Revis had come off a bad situation in pre-Tompa Bay and there were conversations about whether Revis Island even existed anymore. Trading for him was called the "Mistake of the century" by TB mediots (Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Darrelle Revis named mistake of decade)

Even still, New England hadn't won a superbowl in what, 10 years then? BB was buying low on him (and still paid him a boatload to be here). And he came to resuscitate his career.

Gronk and Amendola were already here when they gave hometown discounts. That's why they're called hometown discounts, because they'd rather stay. That has nothing to do with attracting new free agents. If we're talking about keeping our free agents, that's a whole different conversation.

It doesn't matter anyway - if the Pats paid what the Rams did then I'd want BB sent packing immediately.

Exactly. The Ram are insane to do that deal. It is like the Hershel Walker trade. Crazy, nutz. LA will regret this trade for years to come. Who knows if the Lions will be able to take advantage of this gift; I doubt they have the next Jimmy Johnson to do the GM work...but someone in the front office engineered a steal.

I think the Stafford didn't want to come to NE because pf Patricia being here. If the Pats hadn't brought him back, I think Stafford wouldn't have been against coming here.
I think its because
(1) Matt Patricia
(2) Complete lack of weapons
(3) History of providing subpar weapons to QB

Regarding Stafford not wanting to come here that’s all speculation at this point. Honestly it was a blessing in disguise we didn’t get involved in trade discussions since LAR got bent over backwards.

wonder if curran realizes stafford did not have a no trade clause so he could not dictate where he could go and not go. in any case i think curran is part of the problem. the whole boston media is hyper critical of all the teams and all the players if they do not perform up to the medias liking. for such a great sports town we have some of the biggest douchebag media in the country. who would want to put up with them.

• Winner
Reactions: SVN
For reference - the source for the Stafford-hating-NE thing is: "This comes from a source whose team was heavily involved in Stafford trade negotiations but failed to land him."

So... not anyone on the Pats... or the Lions... or their agents... but from some other 3rd team who wanted Stafford but didn't get him.

1. Why would some other team know this, if true?
2. A team needing a QB spreading a rumor that some other team needing a QB also (the Pats) is a bad destination definitely seems suspicious to me. Could be a team trying to get Watson/another QB, trying to drive down the price by making their competition seem undesirable. Could be San Francisco, trying to limit NE's options so they pony up a pick for Garoppolo. Could be Irsay or Woody who just want to stick it to NE.
You can frame any story to get a particular reaction. its like those weekly horoscope sections. Everything is written such a way that you identify with your current situation :). Behind sources , curran can write whatever he wants to drive the Brady narrative.

wonder if curran realizes stafford did not have a no trade clause so he could not dictate where he could go and not go. in any case i think curran is part of the problem. the whole boston media is hyper critical of all the teams and all the players if they do not perform up to the medias liking. for such a great sports town we have some of the biggest douchebag media in the country. who would want to put up with them.
Its not about if they can perform. its that they have to bow down to the media.i mean francona and epstein couldnt survive after delivering after 86 yrs.

I think its because
(1) Matt Patricia
(2) Complete lack of weapons
(3) History of providing subpar weapons to QB
Could we stop with the BS of "Complete lack of weapons". It's false and it's a complete insult to the players here.

RB - Harris, Michel, Taylor, Bolden
WR - Edelman, Meyers, Harry, Olszewski
TE - Asiasi, Keene, Izzo

Harris, Michel, and Taylor give the Patriots a Top 5 RB group. San Fran, Dallas, Houston, Arizona are the only ones better, IMHO. Harris, Michel and Taylor teased us with what they can do in the receiving game. Bolden did decently in the receiving game in 2019, but it remains to be seen if the Patriots keep him or decide to move on.

Yes, Edelman is old. Who knows if he'll be back. But for now, he's the Grizzled veteran of the group. Olszewski looks like he's rounding nicely into a similar type of player. Meyers looks to be the next Givens. With even a DECENT QB, Meyers should put up 1000 yards on a season.
Harry is still an enigma. He's not as bad as the haters on here have said. He has room to grow for certain.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats brought in another WR either in the draft or through Free Agency just to keep things fresh. We may also see Byrd back. A decent QB would probably life him up close to 800 or 900 yards.

Asiasi and Keene are unknowns because of the COVID season and the injuries both suffered that hampered the season further. But NO ONE knows what we have in them. Both teased us. Izzo is under-rated by many. He finished the season catching 10 of 12. But, with the team being a Run first team and the issues at QB, the reality is that our passing game in ALL aspects was hampered.

This BS that the Patriots has a history of providing subpar weapons is also complete BS. People seem to forget that they went out and got the likes of MOSS, WELKER, and AMENDOLA. That they traded for Cooks.

Anyone who looks at the 2020 season and thinks that it's representative of the Pats offense needs their head examined. Newton's inability to throw passes hurt this offense tremendously. I said it before and I'll say it again, the reason that Newton's completion % was at 65.8% was because of the RECEIVERS and not Newton. They're the ones who caught his ill-thrown passes on a regular basis. I think I can count on both hands the number of well thrown passes by Newton on the entire season. Newtons inability to read defenses properly and to throw the ball on time really hurt this offense.

While Stafford doesn't have a "No Trade Clause", he's made enough money where he could threaten to retire instead of being traded. That would screw BOTH teams over.

Doesn't Jimmy G's big contract vest this spring? In other words, they may have to move on to him because keeping him becomes a multiyear commitment.

Jimmy G has had the fastest expiring Superbowl appearance feel-good I have ever seen. My mid season they were all ready to move on. Crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back