PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

so let's end this debate. wes welker or julien edelman?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

wes welker or julien edelman? who's better

• wes welker

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • julien edelman

Votes: 183 97.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly enough, Edelman is #3 on the all-time playoffs receptions list and Welker is #4.

I loved Welker and he definitely had big games in 42 and 46 for this team. But, in their primes, it has to be Edelman. When the game was in the balance and the team needed a big catch to move the chains and snatch momentum, Edelman held on... twice. Once through a bone crushing hit from the hardest hitting safety in the NFL and once through a sea of arms in what may become the greatest catch in Super Bowl history. Welker, on the other hand, did an admirable job of getting his hands on the ball but dropped it. They are both great and Welker in his prime redefined his position, but it's got to be Edelman. Edelman is also a more dynamic WR and threatens levels of the field that Welker simply did not.

Last edited:
The question should be, who is Tom's favorite?

The question should be, who is Tom's favorite?

There is that clip on the sideline from the Dallas game last year where Brady is telling Edelman he is his best receiver. Edelman says this year - Brady says "Always"

Jules! I loved Welker ,but i think Edelman is a better all around player.

Wes was great

I think JE takes it on intangibles - not saying WW was bad teammate, but JE is THE guy you want on the field & in your lockerrom

Wes and Jules both laid their bodies on the line in crucial moments for this team. It's too bad that people will lay any blame on Wes for not bringing in 2 SBs where plenty of players came up small when it mattered (and the Giants conversely came up big).

Both will deservedly go into the Pats HoF.

There's no debate.

Julian Edelman. You'd need to be severely brain damaged to claim otherwise.

Edelman, BY A MILE ...

I just think people are prisoner of the moment. Welker made many clutch plays. He wasn't able to make a miraculous catch but it happens.

Fair or not, Welker will be associated with 18-1 & the " drop". Edelman will be associated with 3rd & 11 and the "Boston knee party" play.

It's not that simple. Welker routinely dropped passes. Especially crucial ones. I'm pretty sure he led the league in drops at least one season. I would go with JE just because I trust him more. And the catch that Welker dropped would not have been even remotely miraculous. It was thrown slightly behind him. NFL WRs make that catch 999 times out of 1000.

Why do we have to choose one? Wes never won a SB here and thats literally the only reason people even try to compare the two. There's nothing else to it. They have nothing in common outside of being close friends of TB and "short white receivers".

They don't play the same role. There is no need to pick one.

There isn't any debate to end.

It's not that simple. Welker routinely dropped passes. Especially crucial ones. I'm pretty sure he led the league in drops at least one season. I would go with JE just because I trust him more. And the catch that Welker dropped would not have been even remotely miraculous. It was thrown slightly behind him. NFL WRs make that catch 999 times out of 1000.

Edelman has been near the top in drops in every season as our #1 WR.

I don't get the Welker hate. Both are all-time great Patriots.

I like Edelman as a player better simply because of his personality, and yes he's bee instrumental in two titles, but to diminish anything Welker has ever done for this team is absurd,

Edelman has been near the top in drops in every season as our #1 WR.

I don't get the Welker hate. Both are all-time great Patriots.

I like Edelman as a player better simply because of his personality, and yes he's bee instrumental in two titles, but to diminish anything Welker has ever done for this team is absurd,

I think most of Edelman's drops come from trying to run before he has caught the ball - YAC is such a part of his game. But in big moments it seems his focus on the catch improves and he really drops very, very few at those times.

Here is an interesting stat that I found. Although Welker was highly more productive in the regular season, I looked at both of their playoff numbers for the years they where each the starter and it seems Edelman has a slight edge in playoff production. (Edelmans numbers before 2013 not included, Welkers Patriots numbers only included).

The first number is his actual total stats, the second is if you spread that out over a full 16 game NFL season.

Welker:
Games - 9
Rec - 69 - 123
Yards - 686 - 1,220
TDs - 4 - 7

Edelman:
Games - 10
Rec - 80 - 128
Yards - 949 - 1,518
TDs - 3 - 5

I thought that was just an interesting stat that shows how Edelman just steps up more in the post season.

Has to be the most boring overdone question in the history of the Patriots.

Has to be the most boring overdone question in the history of the Patriots.
Nah ah

320px-New_England_Patriots_logo.svg.png

Or
f1f05c00dc57f772bcfee0757f6139fe.jpg

One logo had a lot of grit, the other always performed in the clutch. Discuss until you die of boredom.

Welker had great stats because the offense was less diverse.
I take Edelman all day long ... he can run more routes.
Welker was the beneficiary of pick plays ... in the open field he struggled to get open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back