PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

re-sign James Harrison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems as if it's a perfect "wait and see" scenario

Is your point that players who didn't play well in the Sb should be cut?

I would have thought that we should be building a 90 man roster for 2018, keeping people based on potential value, including insurance. I would think that Harrison would be a solid backup if he wanted that role, presuming that the price is right.

I thought that he was one of the less ineffective defenders in the Superbowl,

He would not be happy playing behind Wise, Rivers and Flowers and whoever else we draft. No.

Have you moved Harrison to DE?

With regard to LB
--------------------
1) We don't know the status of Hightower. We HOPE that he will back at near 100%.
2) I don't know a single defensive player who has lost his rookie year to injury and was a serious contributor in his second year. HOPEFULLY, Rivers will be the first. And, is he a DE or a LB).
3) I presume that you're discussing Marquise Flowers, the LB who may or not be any better that Harrison at this point.
4) Sure, I expect us to draft another couple of front severe players. MAYBE, one will be able to start, or not.

BOTTOM LINE
If Harrison is healthy, I'd like to have him in camp. The obvious issue is COST.

I would have liked to have him for all of 2017. Depending open our alternatives at decision making time in late August, we may or not want Harrison again. A lot will happen with regard to our other choices between now and then.

Jimmy H drank the Kool-Aid and it was good..

Have you moved Harrison to DE?

With regard to LB
--------------------
1) We don't know the status of Hightower. We HOPE that he will back at near 100%.
2) I don't know a single defensive player who has lost his rookie year to injury and was a serious contributor in his second year. HOPEFULLY, Rivers will be the first. And, is he a DE or a LB).
3) I presume that you're discussing Marquise Flowers, the LB who may or not be any better that Harrison at this point.
4) Sure, I expect us to draft another couple of front severe players. MAYBE, one will be able to start, or not.

BOTTOM LINE
If Harrison is healthy, I'd like to have him in camp. The obvious issue is COST.

I would have liked to have him for all of 2017. Depending open our alternatives at decision making time in late August, we may or not want Harrison again. A lot will happen with regard to our other choices between now and then.

Yes, actually, I have. I see him taking snaps strictly o the line, dropping only occasionally.

Harrison to DE is actually something I could see. I was actually surprised when I realized he was a linebacker. With his size, strength and lack of speed, I think he could make a pretty natural transition to DE or even NT.

I thought he was close so many times during the Super Bowl....I think he also set the edge really well, just not sure over the course of a 16 game season, how he would hold up.

Trey Flowers came pretty close.

Marquis Flowers' career:
2014-16 = 72 defensive snaps
2017 = 283 defensive snaps, about 250 of those coming after week-8

If Marquis is already "better" than Harrison (even at age 39), sign the beast!

;)

I would resign him as a rotational / clutch player. He was all over bortles on the final afcc drive and some other key drives in that game, can’t underestimate his impact on that game even if he didn’t technically get the sacks. His awareness led to a 3rd down stop late in the sb too and he seemed to be the only one generating any sort of pressure. Just seems to be one those big situation performers you want on your team. He has shown that he can prove at least 20 or so quality snaps at an area of need so definitely at least bring him into tc.

Yes, actually, I have. I see him taking snaps strictly o the line, dropping only occasionally.

For almost his entire career, Harrison has been a "rush-OLB" in a 3-4 defense. With the Pats playing a mixed 4-3/3-4 front, his role has varied according to gameplan. He seems to have adapted quite well, and certainly didn't look significantly worse dropping back into coverage than any of the other Pats' OLBs over the past couple-three-four years.

I thought he was close so many times during the Super Bowl....I think he also set the edge really well, just not sure over the course of a 16 game season, how he would hold up.

As a "primary", maybe not all that well. As a rotational player covering 15-25 snaps per game, maybe pretty well.

My hope is that the Pats sign him thru the off-season and Camp, and then we never have to find out if he'd hold up because someone else will have surpassed him by cutdowns.

Harrison to DE is actually something I could see. I was actually surprised when I realized he was a linebacker. With his size, strength and lack of speed, I think he could make a pretty natural transition to DE or even NT.

Size?

The Pats have Harrison listed at 6'0"/245. At most, he's 6'1"/250.

Must resign him. He needs to play in the Pittsburgh game.

If resigning Harrison goes sideways up the craw of pittsburgh fans, then i say resign him.

can always cut him later on. or stash him on ir.

Last edited:
No, he's not DL material -- too small.

He won’t want much money. Sign him for cheap, bring him into camp, and cut bait with him around then if he looks replaceable.
Definitely don’t see how this method could hurt anything.

James would probably play for free if you let him.

I’d like him to be given the chance to make the team at least. He played decent

Harrison has some value left as a depth LB. He's an improvement over Roberts.

Harrison has some value left as a depth LB. He's an improvement over Roberts.

Those two have two different jobs in that defense. That said, Roberts is a JAG. A lot of guys are an improvement over him. I highly doubt the plan going into the 2017 season was to have him playing the number of snaps he was playing, but injuries and a lack of depth forced that. I expect that position to get addressed aggressively in the offseason - either through the draft, FA, or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe