PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

re-sign James Harrison?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpelton

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I thought that he was one of the less ineffective defenders in the Superbowl, and he'd earned his salary up until that point. As long as we're not in a position where we are dependent on him to *be* the pass rush like we were in the Superbowl, I think it's worth the investment to bring the man back and see if he's still hungry for some wins.

Saw a couple plays where it was Harrison making Foles roll out, if someone had broken through from the other side it could have been a sack. And if healthy, you know Hightower would have been that guy breaking through. Harrison's still a useful roleplayer with a lot of power, even if his speed was a liability against the Eagles' mobile attack he can still be very useful at times.

Nooooooooooooooo

He’s this season’s Steven Jackson, albeit somewhat more effective in his month in NE. Harrison is completely done, and he will be as big a problem as it gets if they played him sparingly. The Patriots need to get faster and more athletic on the edge, replacing Harrison is essential to doing that.

Who wouldn't sign him for the right price? He could be valuable as a part-time pass-rusher, but that means he would have to accept that role. He doesn't come across as that kind of guy.

He won’t want much money. Sign him for cheap, bring him into camp, and cut bait with him around then if he looks replaceable.

I don't think he's going to be around next season..Pats better off getting a younger guy ready to play

Change it to Marquis Flowers at a low cap and ill sign off.
However I thank and have new Respect how tough Harrison is as a player

People seem to be forgetting Harrison’s behavior when Pitt stopped using him full time. Harrison would become a major headache.

Absolutely you resign him so long as the money is reasonable.
He plays a position that is one of our weakest on the team in terms of quality and depth. Is he "the answer"? No! But he's a good stop gap while we rebuild this area of need and he is an excellent role model for the younger guys on the team in terms of work ethic and accountability.

He won’t want much money. Sign him for cheap, bring him into camp, and cut bait with him around then if he looks replaceable.

This is my thought, what's the harm. However, I'm placing the odds of him lasting through camp to be less than 10%. I feel like, with extra motivation he was able to be fairly effective for 4 games. I don't see him being able to bring consistent value over a 16-20 game season at age 40. But like you said, if there's no real money downside, why not see what happens? We don't exactly have a logjam of young linebackers he'd be blocking from getting their shot right now.

I don't know whether they should keep him or not. From a story point of view, I kinda dig when BB brings in the old guys like him, Seau, Flutie, Testeverde, etc. as if he's an antiquities collector of football heroes.

Not sure if it makes sense for building a winning team going forward.

It would've made an elegant retirement story for Harrison if they pulled off the SB win a week and half ago.

Nooooooooooooooo

He’s this season’s Steven Jackson, albeit somewhat more effective in his month in NE. Harrison is completely done, and he will be as big a problem as it gets if they played him sparingly. The Patriots need to get faster and more athletic on the edge, replacing Harrison is essential to doing that.

James Harrison and Steven Jackson did not have remotely comparable stints here once you get past the fact that they were old and signed in December.

People seem to be forgetting Harrison’s behavior when Pitt stopped using him full time. Harrison would become a major headache.

This situation would be different though because if we sign him, it would hopefully be known to him that his role is anywhere from 3rd down only to hardly ever playing -- so it's up to him to accept it or not.
Whereas with Pitt, he was seemingly told he'd have a big role and then didn't. I'm not sure if his behavior was all that terrible though?

James Harrison and Steven Jackson did not have remotely comparable stints here once you get past the fact that they were old and signed in December.
Both were/are strong physical specimens whose quickness and speed have dropped considerably. Harrison doesn't have much range anymore but still can be effective in a very limited role. Whether that's worth a roster spot only BB can determine.

This situation would be different though because if we sign him, it would hopefully be known to him that his role is anywhere from 3rd down only to hardly ever playing -- so it's up to him to accept it or not.
Whereas with Pitt, he was seemingly told he'd have a big role and then didn't. I'm not sure if his behavior was all that terrible though?

Fair point, but I believe the stories out of Pittsburgh, sleeping in meetings etc etc. Harrison is as proud as it gets, and I think he was a real problem in that locker room. I was happy he signed here to finish the season but I don’t think he will be much help going forward. To me the last two Super Bowl’s have demonstrated beyond any question their need to get faster and more athletic on the edges, and Harrison would take a roster spot they could use to that end.

I’m really starting to think they should go back to a 3/4 base so they can add more athleticism to their front 7. They have the big bodies already, cut down on DL and add DE/OLB. They should still be a sub package team overall but I would construct their front 7 more along those lines.

There's a slight difference here. 1) He went from "full time" to 46 snaps over 15 games, and 2) the team kept promising him a bigger role, and he asked to be released back in training camp if he wasn't going to be used at all which is how he saw things going down (which is what happened).

The Pats played him full time because they were desperate. In a truly limited role, 15-25 snaps a game, he may still be effective. And he may be happy with that role. Belichick and Harrison just have to be honest with each other about what they want and envision, and from the scuttlebutt over the years, that is one of Belichick's strengths when compared with other coaches.

sign him and make him a asst coach

No thank you. While the whole thing was fun from a Screw The Steelers perspective, it always felt like a moral compromise having him on our team. And the Super Bowl showed that he's a good person to have around as a role player but having him try to play 1st and 2nd down is a mistake. I don't even think he can be a featured pass rusher anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back