PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

re-sign James Harrison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a slight difference here. 1) He went from "full time" to 46 snaps over 15 games, and 2) the team kept promising him a bigger role, and he asked to be released back in training camp if he wasn't going to be used at all which is how he saw things going down (which is what happened).

The Pats played him full time because they were desperate. In a truly limited role, 15-25 snaps a game, he may still be effective. And he may be happy with that role. Belichick and Harrison just have to be honest with each other about what they want and envision, and from the scuttlebutt over the years, that is one of Belichick's strengths when compared with other coaches.

While I get what you are saying I really want them to use that spot to get younger, faster, more athletic. This team can’t stop mobile QB’s and Belichick has to fix that problem.

People seem to be forgetting Harrison’s behavior when Pitt stopped using him full time. Harrison would become a major headache.
Since half the problem was the Steelers neither fishing nor cutting bait with Harrison (neither playing nor releaseing the man) I doubt that would be a problem. Tomlin was lying to Harrison about what it would take to get on the field and Harrison got sick of it. In the same situation, Butler situation notwithstanding (a situation that literally came to a head at the absolute last second) Belichick would just cut a guy he had no intention of using, and let him find work elsewhere.

Since half the problem was the Steelers neither fishing nor cutting bait with Harrison (neither playing nor releaseing the man) I doubt that would be a problem. Tomlin was lying to Harrison about what it would take to get on the field and Harrison got sick of it. The Butler incident notwithstanding, Bill is much better than that about communicating to his players both when they'll play and why they're not playing more.

As I just said, they desperately need to get faster and more athletic on the edges, they should use that roster spot to do just that.

As I just said, they desperately need to get faster and more athletic on the edges, they should use that roster spot to do just that.
I don't agree. They need to anticipate better on the edges. That roster wasn't really short on speed, but half the defenders were inexperienced or not that talented at reading defenses and were constantly out of position

One of the guys most likely to be in position to make a useful play? James Harrison.

I don't agree. They need to anticipate better on the edges. That roster wasn't really short on speed, but half the defenders were inexperienced or not that talented at reading defenses and were constantly out of position

One of the guys most likely to be in position to make a useful play? James Harrison.

Couldn’t disagree more, their lack of speed outside burned them repeatedly.

Bad reads look like an apparent lack of speed. If a defender makes a bad initial read and breaks wrong on the snap, speed sometimes allows him to recover, but speed is not essential to good defense, and getting the defense on the run all game is an offensive co-ordinator's wet dream.

Quite frankly if the defense has to sprint, they've already made a mistake. Positional defense is what Bill Belichick preaches and he's gotten excellent results with it over the years. The whole season this Patriots team had some huge issues with positional defense and the Eagles managed to exploit us bigtime by finding defenders out of position.

that's not to say that speed isn't an asset on defense, but it's secondary to reading the offense and making the correct move on the snap rather than 2 seconds later when it's too late and only speed can save you. A defense that's constantly guessing rather than anticipating is another of those OC's wet dreams.

If our defense could make the reads they were supposed to make, they would have looked much faster out there because they would be doing what defenders are supposed to do -- anticipating rather than reacting. Our defense spent the entire Superbowl reacting, and that's why we got burnt.

We don't need fast defenders, we need smart defenders. And James Harrison is a very smart defender.

He would not be happy playing behind Wise, Rivers and Flowers and whoever else we draft. No.

Is there an opening for a strength and conditioning coach? :D

He was okay, but merely okay, when he pinned his ears back. On the other hand, he was getting blown out of his gap in run defense and they ran right over him on the long Blount touchdown. Deatrich Wise should have been playing over him in the Super Bowl, full stop.

With Rivers healthy, he doesn't have a place on the roster.

He has strength but no speed. I would rather not have him back but I think the bigger issue is the end opposite Harrison. We need someone at least as good as Ninkovich.

He could stick around and do maybe 15 snaps a game or so maybe. I think he did ok

The Pats have no idea of what Rivers might give them, so for Harrison, I would say it comes down to two things:

1 Who do they get in FA? Sheldon Richardson? Demarcus Lawrence?

2. If no one of consequence, then YES, you sign Harrison (if the money's right). You can't count on rookies stepping in and handling the job. He wasn't dominant, but he was better than...

He won’t want much money. Sign him for cheap, bring him into camp, and cut bait with him around then if he looks replaceable.
Thought he played decent in the SB. Besides MCourty maybe the best Team leader in 2018 to pick up the troops. 2o snaps and he might still have just enough in the tank.
DW Toys

Absolutely sign him, draft a DE with a #3 or #4 pick, bring in other UFAs and an unsigned rookie FA. Harrison will compete, be a monster in the weight room, and if he beats everybody out for 20-25 snaps/game DE, keep him. He's a "Do Your Job" kinda guy at this stage of his career.

The Patriots have a tough off-season ahead with the for a top-flight OT, a QB, a CB, and a LB.

Apparently, most folks equate re-signing Harrison now to including him on the final 53 for 2018.

As the roster stands at the moment, the players at edge positions (DE and OLB) are almost all young and extremely inexperienced, except for HT and McClellin (and it seems a least somewhat doubtful that McClellin returns to the Pats, and possibly not even to playing football).

Rivers, for example, has virtually zero NFL experience. Marquis Flowers had played a grand total of 72 defensive snaps in his prior 3 years in the NFL. Eric Lee had never played a regular season snap on defense in the NFL before joining the Pats mid-season.

Given the Pats lack of cap space, it's fairly unlikely that they'll be able to bring in a reasonably accomplished NFL veteran edge-player in his prime from another team (UFA or trade).

Expecting another influx of draft day acquisitions to "fix" the problem is wishful thinking. They'll still be young and still have zero NFL experience.

Harrison contributed more than David Harris did in about half as many snaps, and with six months less experience in the Pats' system.

I'd say Harrison is definitely worth re-signing for the off-season/Camp roster at the right price (assuming he's willing).

We do not have one guy right now that does that. The Arkansas two are strictly edge guys and get washed. Rivers? Same dude.

Is DH an OLB or DE? That is the question. If you pick up a Zach Brown that stabilizes the LB core and DH has more opportunities and less responsibility to be all over the field.

Harrison might not be the answer but through the playoffs he was the best at setting the edge and still had some pressures.

Faster edge guy who sets the edge and can rush? At #31 there is no one I see ready day 1. Arden Key? Top ten talent. FA head. He screams Seahawks.

FA? I love FA but the only one I see is Trent Murphy coming off ACL. Cheap? Maybe. The other choices Ansah and Clayborn.....very expensive. Dion Jordon and Aaron Lynch can do it but....see Arden Key.
DW Toys

I don't know. I guess I'll trust BBs judgement.

If Harrison knows going in to the 2018 season what his status with the Pats will be and is willing to accept that and the money that BB will offer, I see no reason not to at least invite him back to training camp. Certainly, he is a lot slower than he was in his prime but his experience generally puts him in the right place to make a play. Whether he still has the tools to make that play is the question. BB loves older players (sort of a coach on the field) but, in the end, it will come down to the question, does Harrison bring enough to the table to warrant taking up a roster spot?

James Harrison and Steven Jackson did not have remotely comparable stints here once you get past the fact that they were old and signed in December.

Both were/are strong physical specimens whose quickness and speed have dropped considerably. Harrison doesn't have much range anymore but still can be effective in a very limited role. Whether that's worth a roster spot only BB can determine.
They both had massive arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back