PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport: Patriots quietly bring in Lamar Jackson for Pre Draft Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cunningham's problem was that Buddy Ryan didn't give 2 sh*ts about the offense and focused on the defense. Had they gotten a QB coach and maybe some players as well)who could have helped him develop, he could and would likely have been much better....
Cunningham problems were mostly between his ears.

You seem to place a lot of emphasis on one event, or season when evaluating players.

Seriously, are you incapable of understanding sarcasm? I was literally suggesting the exact opposite.

I don't want them to take a QB just to take one, I want a QB who has a real shot at starting and being competitive.

That's the thing.

Bt the Pats own evaluations, there may not be one in this draft class unless they want to move way, waaay the eff up into the top 4 picks. We just don't know.

Meanwhile, the media seems to have everyone convinced that this class is this huge cavalacade of potentially good to great QBs, and that half the teams in the league need one RTFN or will in the next couple years so, why not now?

The Pats perspective on all this may be radically different.

Who knows? Maybe the Pats ignore any "falling stars" in this QB class, trade the #31 for the 2019 1st-rounder of a team that seems likely to finish 2018 no better than 15th, in hopes of getting a real shot at a QB they REALLY like next draft. And then they take a QB at #95 who may not have a very high ceiling, but whose floor is Hoyer (who turns 33 this year).

I really really really really hope they don't draft him. I hate running QBs. Particularly ones without a Cam Newton type body which can absorb a lot of hits.

At best he is Vick (without the absolute cannon of an arm). But that is absolutely best case and Vick against all odds was able to mostly stay healthy. That is super rare for QBs that run that much.

Frankly I think Jackson will be a fairly good QB until he gets injured. He may even look like a young RG3 or Watson until he gets injured. But he almost certainly WILL get injured. Could be an impact hit or cutting too hard and the ACL goes.

In any case he will either need to learn to play by not running either by choice or cause he can't anymore. When that happens suddenly he is below JAG level.

If he define all odds and manages to avoid bad injuries he will probably at best be too inconsistent to get it done cause he can't really pass well in back to back to back games against good Ds.

I am not against QBs that can run. I like Wilson for instance but Wilson showed before getting drafted and after he can beat you without ever leaving the pocket. I don't think Jackson can so I would pass.

Seriously, are you incapable of understanding sarcasm? I was literally suggesting the exact opposite.
No. You are basing your argument on outliers. Acting as if every qbs who ever win a Sb must have prototypical skill sets. Calling cam newton a great qb based upon one season surrounded by many other disappointing ones, etc etc.

I really really really really hope they don't draft him. I hate running QBs. Particularly ones without a Cam Newton type body which can absorb a lot of hits.

At best he is Vick (without the absolute cannon of an arm). But that is absolutely best case and Vick against all odds was able to mostly stay healthy. That is super rare for QBs that run that much.

Frankly I think Jackson will be a fairly good QB until he gets injured. He may even look like a young RG3 or Watson until he gets injured. But he almost certainly WILL get injured. Could be an impact hit or cutting too hard and the ACL goes.

In any case he will either need to learn to play by not running either by choice or cause he can't anymore. When that happens suddenly he is below JAG level.

If he define all odds and manages to avoid bad injuries he will probably at best be too inconsistent to get it done cause he can't really pass well in back to back to back games against good Ds.

I am not against QBs that can run. I like Wilson for instance but Wilson showed before getting drafted and after he can beat you without ever leaving the pocket. I don't think Jackson can so I would pass.
Perhaps this should be looked at another way.
If with the 23rd pick we drafted a clone if Michael Vick (dog issues aside) would that be considered a good pick. I say no way at all.

No. You are basing your argument on outliers. Acting as if every qbs who ever win a Sb must have prototypical skill sets. Calling cam newton a great qb based upon one season surrounded by many other disappointing ones, etc etc.

Cam Newton is a great quarterback and he has never had a terrible season. Winning Super Bowls is a terrible way to judge quarterbacks, except when talking historically about their legacy or whatever.

You're evaluating with the Patriots of the last two decades as a baseline, not as an outlier. You're going to be in for a rude awakening.

Cam Newton is a great quarterback

Is he really, though? I'm not trying to jump into your discussion (I don't even know who you are arguing with), but I don't consider Newton to be a great quarterback. I consider him to be an average quarterback who's had one great year.

Brady
Rodgers
Brees
Roethlisberger
Rivers
Wilson
Luck (assuming a return to health)
Ryan

Those all seem "no brainer" better.

Wentz
Watson
Carr

Those all seem better, though capable of being questioned as either "too soon" or "What about their struggles last year".

That puts Newton as #12 at the highest (I could argue several more as being better, but I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt), and that puts him in the range of average, IMO.

Cam Newton is a great quarterback and he has never had a terrible season. Winning Super Bowls is a terrible way to judge quarterbacks, except when talking historically about their legacy or whatever.

You're evaluating with the Patriots of the last two decades as a baseline, not as an outlier. You're going to be in for a rude awakening.
Again we will agree to disagree. Aside from one season, Cam Newton is 47-44-1 has led his team to the playoffs 3 of the other 6 years and garnering 1 total win making him 48-47-1 including the playoffs aside from 1 year.
Aside from one year he had a 123/84 td/isn’t ratio. Which is 20.5/14 pet season.
He had a great year in 2015 but has not been a good qb the rest of his career.

If you want to settle for mediocrity that’s fine. I would not be happy with the results Carolina had had since drafting newton. Doesn’t mean everyone has to be unhappy with it, but I would be.

By the way 2016 when he was 6-8 with a 52.9% completion and a 19/14 td/inr number surely was a terrible season.

What QB comparisons have they said about josh Rosen? I saw some games with him at ucla but their team was kinda bad. A lot of high scoring games because the defense couldn't stop a nosebleed.

What QB comparisons have they said about josh Rosen? I saw some games with him at ucla but their team was kinda bad. A lot of high scoring games because the defense couldn't stop a nosebleed.
NFL.com compared him to Chrsitian Ponder I believe.
Obviously we don't want that especially in a potential trade up.
Mason Rudolph compared to Kirk Cousins that would be more like it.

NFL.com compared him to Chrsitian Ponder I believe.
Obviously we don't want that especially in a potential trade up.
Mason Rudolph compared to Kirk Cousins that would be more like it.

That's a horrible comparison lol.
Christian Ponder.

Cam Newton’s last 2 seasons have been below average. Qb rating was near the bottom of all starting qbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes