PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport: Patriots quietly bring in Lamar Jackson for Pre Draft Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady @ 20 couldn’t even win a starting job. LH has won a Heisman, pretty pretentious to claim what he can’t be.
You could sell me on Jackson but I like Rosen.
I think this is leaking because we have our eye on another QB and we want someone to overdraft Jackson.
Maybe we want the Bills or Giants to think twice about Allen Darnold and Rosen.
This could push a guy we like better in closer trade up range.

I'll be honest: I have no idea what exactly the Patriots are looking for in their QBOTF. I would think it would be "Jimmy Garoppolo 2.0," but now I have no idea.
It’ll be obvious in five years who Bill should have picked. I’ll release my big board then.

You could sell me on Jackson but I like Rosen.
I think this is leaking because we have our eye on another QB and we want someone to overdraft Jackson.
Maybe we want the Bills or Giants to think twice about Allen Darnold and Rosen.
This could push a guy we like better in closer trade up range.

Depends on who has the most competitive drive. Also who is available @ 23.

As I go through this tread and reflect on the number of ‘experts’ who say the kid should give up on QB and be a WR. I am guessing the kid will have a sizable chip on his shoulder and desire to prove the ‘experts’ wrong.

I think that the thing a lot of people forget about Newton is that, by the time he was a Senior, he wasn't just a "running QB" who threw sometimes, he was already a very good pocket passer. Still, a lot of folks were dismissive of Newton that, using some of the same arguments that folks today are using wrt Jackson.

I'm not saying that Jackson is "the next Newton", just that Newton took a lot of the same crap that Jackson's getting now, and that it was totally undeserved in Newton's case.
I have no idea whether a guy will be a good NFL QB, I have to take the "experts" at their word. One thing I know is that the Patriots need a QB. I was hoping that they could use their two first round picks on other positions, but I am now leaning towards QB.

I don't want them to take a QB just to take one, I want a QB who has a real shot at starting and being competitive.

28xgus.jpg

That's Friday. :p

You hope. Remember when you were a kid and asking your Mom for everything under the Sun for Christmas and your Dad would interject to say something along the lines of "Ask for whatever you want but what you can be sure to get is socks and underwear?" In the draft scenario Belichick is Dad.

Instead of declaring his career a success or failure before he's even taken any snaps, why don't we look at how Jackson would be deployed in the Patriots offense?

My guess is that we'd see significantly more RPOs. Anyone with more X and O savvy want to chime in? That seems like a more interesting and educational discussion than just dissecting what he's done up to this point.

I don't see the Patriots employing RPO style offense. That is a recipe for getting the QB hurt and if there is one thing the Patriots want is consistency in the offense. They want the QB to sit in the pocket and read the defense and throw to the open guy. Sure, if the QB can get some extra time by scrambling that is great, if the QB can run for a first down that is great too. But, to build a QB run into the offense, that doesn't seem very Patriot like....

I could be wrong.

I don't see the Patriots employing RPO style offense. That is a recipe for getting the QB hurt and if there is one thing the Patriots want is consistency in the offense. They want the QB to sit in the pocket and read the defense and throw to the open guy. Sure, if the QB can get some extra time by scrambling that is great, if the QB can run for a first down that is great too. But, to build a QB run into the offense, that doesn't seem very Patriot like....

I could be wrong.

Not saying you're wrong about the Patriots wanting more of a pocket passer, but the Run Pass Option doesn't necessarily expose the QB to more hits. He either throws or hands the ball off; it's not the triple option or read option. Foles ran it extensively in the Eagles SB run, and he shredded our defense, and also had an easy time against Minnesota, who everyone would agree is superior to our defense.

Jackson excels at quick throws. Form what I've seen, he was really good on slants, and his play action had to be respected -- even when he didn't run, if he started moving alongside the RB, defensive players panicked and started to chase him.

I'm not advocating for or against Jackson as a Patriot. I'm just curious what it might look like.

Just not feeling hes the best fit here. Doesn't seem as accurate and quick-to-throw as this offense requires

Just a brief interlude:

• Jackson is not Michael Vick
  • Jackson is not Randall Cunningham.
  • Jackson is not Cam Newton.
  • Jackson is not Steve Young.
  • Jackson's floor is bust, not average QB.

Carry on.

Is absolutely support Lamar Jackson being our next QB because at least it’ll be an interesting experience no matter what. Obviously I want someone who is good. But if someone like Rosen or Allen busts, which they probably will, they’ll just be your standard boring lousy pocket passer that just sucks. But if Lamar busts it’ll at least be in new and interesting ways.

bill will transition him to TE
Maybe.

I think he can be a good Qb in this league. Just not here. Also as a passer, seems Deshaun Watson was a little farther along as a passer.

Brady @ 20 couldn’t even win a starting job. LH has won a Heisman, pretty pretentious to claim what he can’t be.
It’s pretentious to evaluate players, their strengths and weaknesses and their likelihood of success in the NFL?
Ok. Let’s sugn Tebow and manziel while we are at it. :rolleyes:

Maybe.

I think he can be a good Qb in this league. Just not here. Also as a passer, seems Deshaun Watson was a little farther along as a passer.
Watson as a passer was miles and miles ahead of Jackson.

You figured it out. Jim Kelly failing to answer that Bob is taller than Nate who is taller than Sally pushed that Scott Norwood kick wide right and stopped Derrick Mason one yard short. If only Kelly and McNair had the IQ of a Trent Dilfer.
You seem to place a lot of emphasis on one event, or season when evaluating players.

Mr. Jackson has impressive Cat like quickness. *IF* we draft him, his accuracy will need to improve and his mind will need to be quick as his feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes