PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport: Patriots quietly bring in Lamar Jackson for Pre Draft Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool, so, assuming "winning" means winning a Super Bowl, what we should be looking for is the skills at the Venn diagram intersect of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning and Nick Foles and Joe Flacco and Russell Wilson and Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer. I'm sure you can identify for us what that intersect is.

(Hint: It's competent to good quarterback play with a good defense in almost every case.)
Well this is going nowhere.
Clearly you aren’t even reading my comments, so time to move on.

Another thing was he didn't exactly have your normal spread Offensive scheme, that most teams use. Look at Baker, he came from the spread and has stupid numbers, plus he had a lot of players who can catch a ball..

I like Jackson a lot. Worst Case scenario he becomes an average QB

About 75% of those yards came on designed runs.
Pulling completely made up stats out of thin air does nothing to bolster your argument.

Tebow didnt excel as a non qb

Careful what you wish for. To compare him to Brady would mean you never watched either play.

The kid is 20.

Apparently you missed that.

Thursday night will certainly be interesting. I have ZERO idea of what BB will do.

28xgus.jpg

The kid is 20.

Apparently you missed that.
What does being 20 gave to do with what your skill set is?

Am I supposed to like every 20 year old player because they are only 20 and even if they are completely different players with completely different strengths and weaknesses, compare them to the GOAT?

Rapoport reported it first and he’s usually spot on.

I don't think he did, actually.

Remember how I had Jackson on my "Contacts List" as an OV, and you guys in the Draft Talk Forum talked me out of it? ;)

My original entry of that note was easily two weeks old and was based on a tweet I'd seen, but didn't record the source of (might've been Reiss, but I think it was someone else - like Giardi, maybe - IDK).

Anyway, the point is that the info has been out there. Either Rap just heard about it, or he's known about it and is just now using it as part of a pre-draft publicity blitz.

Or, maybe the Pats just decided to (leakingly) highlight the visit because nobody seemed to be paying attention?

Whatever. Rap's tweet certainly ignited a frenzy, which was the ultimate goal regardless.

From the video, looks like he has a quick release and makes decisions fairly quickly. Certainly will be interesting to see if they Patriots trade up to get a QB.

I keep seeing mock drafts with the Patriots drafting a CB or a WR in the first round, do these people even pay attention?

How about those projecting the Pats to trade way up for Chubb or Davenport because, "they desperately need a premier pass-rusher!!" Which is basically a lazy "analyst" taking what he's written about the Pats' draft needs every year since McGinest left and just changing the names.

He reminds me of Randall Cunningham from the little film I've watched.

Cunningham's problem was that Buddy Ryan didn't give 2 sh*ts about the offense and focused on the defense. Had they gotten a QB coach and maybe some players as well)who could have helped him develop, he could and would likely have been much better....

I can give you a comparison to a Native Hawaiian. His skillset is probably closest to Mariota. Mariota's had an interesting developmental cycle. In 2016 he looked well on his way to being a top-10 QB, and then he took a big step back last season. I suspect a lot of that was scheme, which means we'll see where he goes with Vrabel this year. Even still, he managed to lead his team to the playoffs and he was very good in the 4th quarter and difficult for opposing coaches to plan against.

I really don't like the Newton comparison because Newton is just a unique player, he's a massive pocket passer with the ability to run and truck guys because he runs a 4.6 with quick feet and is built like a dinosaur. If Jackson has the career of Cam Newton, who won an NFL MVP with absolutely nobody else on his offense, the pick would be a home run.

I think that the thing a lot of people forget about Newton is that, by the time he was a Senior, he wasn't just a "running QB" who threw sometimes, he was already a very good pocket passer. Still, a lot of folks were dismissive of Newton that, using some of the same arguments that folks today are using wrt Jackson.

I'm not saying that Jackson is "the next Newton", just that Newton took a lot of the same crap that Jackson's getting now, and that it was totally undeserved in Newton's case.

Instead of declaring his career a success or failure before he's even taken any snaps, why don't we look at how Jackson would be deployed in the Patriots offense?

My guess is that we'd see significantly more RPOs. Anyone with more X and O savvy want to chime in? That seems like a more interesting and educational discussion than just dissecting what he's done up to this point.

Wonderlics just don't matter. Donovan McNabb scored a 14. Steve McNair, Jim Kelly, and Randall Cunningham scored a 15; Dan Marino managed a 16. Belichick QBs Rohan Davey and Vinny Testaverde scored 17s

How many Super Bowl victories in that group?

Worth noting that Brady wasn’t half the prospect Jackson is now. You never know. He has skills

It’s interesting Lombardi loves Jackson and his son was on the staff there at Louisville. Makes you wonder if Lombardi likes him if Bill would too since they seem to value a lot of the same things.

What does being 20 gave to do with what your skill set is?

Am I supposed to like every 20 year old player because they are only 20 and even if they are completely different players with completely different strengths and weaknesses, compare them to the GOAT?

Brady @ 20 couldn’t even win a starting job. LH has won a Heisman, pretty pretentious to claim what he can’t be.

I'll be honest: I have no idea what exactly the Patriots are looking for in their QBOTF. I would think it would be "Jimmy Garoppolo 2.0," but now I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back