PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport: Patriots quietly bring in Lamar Jackson for Pre Draft Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can draft safer picks certainly.
I honestly don’t get why anyone would consider Jackson in round 1. Are we really still living under the myth that running qbs can win in the nfl?

@reamer @BaconGrundleCandy Jackson's biggest issue isn't his accuracy or the fact he runs.

His biggest issue is that his footwork is very poor at times, and at times his feet are almost touching once he throws the ball at times which can impact his throwing and accuracy. When he has his feet properly settled and are in a good position he throws as well as most in this class.

There is one throw, where its like watching Brady. Looks the Safeties away with his eyes and puts it in the only spot the WR could get it. It was like Brady to Cooks against the Texans. Lamar Jackson can play, and he could be very very good BUT he's not a finished project by any means, he will need time to develop, but under BB and JMD i can see him being a great pick for us..

Jackson will also learn to slide, BB will not want him to take the hits he does at times at the NFL Level. Jackson tries to be the Alpha Male and i have no problems with that but he needs to be sensible as well.

But then again i am huge Jackson fan and believe in him. He could be like Vick/Randell Cunningham.

But this is the thing. A qb who makes some good throws but a lot of bad ones will never make it in the nfl. There are scores of busted qbs who were capable of making awesome throws, that’s just the ante to be considered. It is particularly troublesome when you see accuracy issues in college where there are much bigger windows than the nfl.

"Some good throws but lots of bad ones" describes just about every single college passer, and most of the quarterbacks in this draft (I'd argue only Mayfield and Rosen threw more good passes than bad ones, and Mayfield was in a spread that doesn't fit in the NFL). These guys are 20, 21 years old. They miss a lot of passes. Matt Ryan threw a lot of bad, off-target passes in college. So did Carson Wentz. They've turned out just fine. Jackson has the physical and mental tools to make it as a top-tier NFL quarterback. The "third rounders" just don't.

I honestly don’t get why anyone would consider Jackson in round 1. Are we really still living under the myth that running qbs can win in the nfl?
Agree. RG III, Cam Newton, Watson. Mariotta all have gotten biffed in their time.
I admit he would be intriguing, but his completion percentage will never get him to the Pro Bowl.
DW Toyd

Why do you keep saying that? Everyone has a high ceiling If they eliminate their weaknesses.
Jackson has bust written all over him.

There are plenty of factors that affect a QB’s accuracy, including things that can be coached up.

You’re always the first one to say “Bill knows best.” If Bill likes him you should have no problem with him or at least you should give him a chance.

I just don’t think of him as a good enough passer to succeed. A QB who primarily runs works great in the NCAA, not so much in the NFL.

*However*.... if he’s willing to play a different position, then things get very interesting....

Have you ever watched him play, because he's not a QB who "primarily runs"

I think he’s more, or as, developed as Kaepernick was when he came out so the value doesn’t surprise me, particularly with the need for QBs across the NFL. The brains trust will know whether he’s coachable or not and I’m willing to wait to see what they’ll do. Rosen is the better prospect though and that’s where I’d look if he falls.

I think he’s more developed than Kaepernick was when he came out so the value doesn’t surprise me, particularly with the need for QBs across the NFL. The brais trust wil know whether he’s coach able or not and I’m willing to wait to see what they’ll do. Rosen is the better prospect though and that’s where I’d look if he falls.

In order I would go Mayfield, Rosen, and Jackson

"Some good throws but lots of bad ones" describes just about every single college passer, and most of the quarterbacks in this draft (I'd argue only Mayfield and Rosen threw more good passes than bad ones, and Mayfield was in a spread that doesn't fit in the NFL). These guys are 20, 21 years old. They miss a lot of passes. Matt Ryan threw a lot of bad, off-target passes in college. So did Carson Wentz. They've turned out just fine. Jackson has the physical and mental tools to make it as a top-tier NFL quarterback. The "third rounders" just don't.
We will have to disagree.
I’m not sure how you are judging his mental skills and the physical skills he has are not the important ones.
Feel free to show me the successful nfl qbs who couldn’t complete 60% of their passes ever in college.

I think he’s more, or as, developed as Kaepernick was when he came out so the value doesn’t surprise me, particularly with the need for QBs across the NFL. The brains trust will know whether he’s coachable or not and I’m willing to wait to see what they’ll do. Rosen is the better prospect though and that’s where I’d look if he falls.

I think Rosen is the best quarterback prospect in the draft, so if he falls the choice is clear to me. I'd take Mayfield second and Darnold third, then Jackson. I just think there's a lot of bias against Jackson for being a "running" quarterback and I think it's ********. He's got just as good a chance as any of the others to be a top-tier quarterback, and I think he's a safer pick because if a Mayfield or Rosen goes bust, you just have a backup QB. If Jackson busts, you have a sub-package all-star.

There are plenty of factors that affect a QB’s accuracy, including things that can be coached up.
It’s like saying draft a weak lineman because strength can be coached up or a lb who can’t read a play because you can coach that.

You’re always the first one to say “Bill knows best.” If Bill likes him you should have no problem with him or at least you should give him a chance.
I’m evaluating him. I’m not aware Belichick has drafted him. Is your argument everyone is great until Belichick doesn’t draft them.

And of course Belichick knows more than us but I’m not sure what that has to do with evaluating thus player or assuming how Belichick grades him.

Have you ever watched him play, because he's not a QB who "primarily runs"
If you say he is not a guy who primarily runs then I have to ask if *you* have ever watched him play.

I’ve watched him play plenty. His career has roughly 9,000 yards, 69 TDs passing and 4,100 yards, 50 TDs running. The man has more rushes than completions.

If that isn’t a QB who primarily runs, then no such thing exists. The ratio of running to passing from Jackson is higher than Mariota, Tebow and RG3 - by significant amounts.

I’m not sure how you are judging his mental skills and the physical skills he has are not the important ones.
Feel free to show me the successful nfl qbs who couldn’t complete 60% of their passes ever in college.

I don’t think 59.1 % completion (as opposed to 60%) ought to be a deal breaker.

If you say he is not a guy who primarily runs then I have to ask if *you* have ever watched him play.

I’ve watched him play plenty. His career has roughly 9,000 yards, 69 TDs passing and 4,100 yards, 50 TDs running. The man has more rushes than completions.

If that isn’t a QB who primarily runs, then no such thing exists. The ratio of running to passing from Jackson is higher than both Tebow and RG3 - by significant amounts.

One thing to remember about RG3 is that he played in that Oregon Offensive scheme!

His final year’s completion percentage was less than 2% lower than Brady’s.

A selection of college quarterbacks with completion percentages around or under 60% for most or all of their college careers:

Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, Michael Vick, Matthew Stafford

If that isn’t a QB who primarily runs, then no such thing exists. The ratio of running to passing from Jackson is higher than Mariota, Tebow and RG3 - by significant amounts.

About 75% of those yards came on designed runs. On pass plays, he looked to pass first and second. To me, that's not a running quarterback. That's a passer who can be used as a runner.

His final year’s completion percentage was less than 2% lower than Brady’s.

And Brady was a 5th-year senior with a superior supporting cast, while Jackson was a true junior whose completion percentage rose each year despite abysmal receivers.

Russell Wilson had terrible completion percentages his three years at NC State and then went to Wisconsin and completed something like 75% of his passes in his final season. Had he gone to the NFL after his third season, people would have made the same comments about his accuracy and being a "running quarterback" that they do about Jackson.

Last edited:
A selection of college quarterbacks with completion percentages around or under 60% for most or all of their college careers:

Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, Michael Vick, Matthew Stafford
None of them,except Vick who may have been the least accurate qb in the nfl in the last 30 years never got 60%.
Using Vick as an example proves my point not yours.

By the way note that for the most part you go back to the 1990s or early 00 when the college game was totally different.

In order I would go Mayfield, Rosen, and Jackson
There’s something about this post that I like. Can’t quite put my finger on it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes