PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport: Patriots quietly bring in Lamar Jackson for Pre Draft Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Patriots “ quietly” brought in Jackson, Florio would not know about it. I smell diversion.

Rapoport reported it first and he’s usually spot on.

LJ floor, Tim Tebow, Football player who can play as a non QB and excel.

Ceiling? TB12 with elite athletic skills. The stuff that needs to be 'fixed' his throwing mechanics depends on the kid's attitude. IMO he wants to be a great QB, so he will put in the work. I have seen some film analysis that shows him staying the pocket and taking a hit rather than running to make a play. Going through progressions.

I want the kid to be there at 23, I think he will develop into a GREAT HOF QB,...IF put in the right situation. The Patriots and learning by being in the room with Brady is the right situation IMO.

Watching his Miss St film, I’d be hard pressed to see Brady in him. I think Cam Newton is his ceiling.

Thursday night will certainly be interesting. I have ZERO idea of what BB will do.

Whatever he does, it almost certainly will leave us initially underwhelmed, but then the Pats will win 12-13 games again, at least make the AFCCG, and it will all work out.

If the Patriots “ quietly” brought in Jackson, Florio would not know about it. I smell diversion.

It's a media LH feeding frenzy right now as Ian Rappaport's story is now the headline story at WEEI.

No flaws?

Plenty of flaws. He holds the ball too long and his accuracy (i.e. ability to throw a catchable ball) is inconsistent, though it rarely leads to turnovers because he tends to make good decisions about who to throw to (which I refer to as placement). His mechanics are merely okay but he does a lot of throwing with his wrist. He needs some quarterback coaching before he's ready to start in the NFL, but that's true of all of the top-5 except for Rosen and Mayfield. And Jackson can at least give you something while he's redshirting, since you could run 5 or so designed plays per game with him as a change of pace.

The one LJ stat that I don't think the Pats can ignore is his 13 score on the Wonderlic.

My gut screams out a smokescreen is in play.

Wonderlics just don't matter. Donovan McNabb scored a 14. Steve McNair, Jim Kelly, and Randall Cunningham scored a 15; Dan Marino managed a 16. Belichick QBs Rohan Davey and Vinny Testaverde scored 17s, which should put to rest the idea that the Patriots care at all.

Meanwhile, Blaine Gabbert scored a 42. There's just no correlation between football intelligence and a score on a general IQ test.

I guess the knocks on him is that he's a little thin in the frame (6'3"/200) and that he sometimes sails the ball ala steve grogan (which I think is a side effect of a mobile qb on the run)

I would be really excited to have him as our potential future......more so than mayfield.....he is fun to watch

The thing about Jackson, and this is a big deal for the NFL, is that most of his big run plays were designed runs. A lot of these running guys go one read and if the receiver is covered, they pull the ball down and run with it. You can get away with that in college but it's a liability in the pros.

Not Jackson, he would go through his progressions and not panic. His ball pplacement still good on his second or third read. To me, that suggests he won't get himself hurt scrambling around and that he has the mental makeup to be a pro QB in a timing offense like the Patriots'.

An elite scrambler that can create time to get to his third or fourth read can make for some exciting football. I'm not a draftnik so I don't know the upside or downside of any player but having a Lamar Jackson type QB may be the way to go for a post Brady team.

The thing about drafting a QB like Jackson is it gives Brady enough time to finish his career. If the pats land Mayfield or Rosen, I can see Bill trying to push Tom out the door sooner rather than later. Jackson gives Brady another 3 years while he develops, which might be good timing for Brady’s retirement plans (and Gisele’s).

Can he also be like a white QB or nah

I can give you a comparison to a Native Hawaiian. His skillset is probably closest to Mariota. Mariota's had an interesting developmental cycle. In 2016 he looked well on his way to being a top-10 QB, and then he took a big step back last season. I suspect a lot of that was scheme, which means we'll see where he goes with Vrabel this year. Even still, he managed to lead his team to the playoffs and he was very good in the 4th quarter and difficult for opposing coaches to plan against.

I really don't like the Newton comparison because Newton is just a unique player, he's a massive pocket passer with the ability to run and truck guys because he runs a 4.6 with quick feet and is built like a dinosaur. If Jackson has the career of Cam Newton, who won an NFL MVP with absolutely nobody else on his offense, the pick would be a home run.

From the video, looks like he has a quick release and makes decisions fairly quickly. Certainly will be interesting to see if they Patriots trade up to get a QB.

I keep seeing mock drafts with the Patriots drafting a CB or a WR in the first round, do these people even pay attention?

The thing about drafting a QB like Jackson is it gives Brady enough time to finish his career. If the pats land Mayfield or Rosen, I can see Bill trying to push Tom out the door sooner rather than later. Jackson gives Brady another 3 years while he develops, which might be good timing for Brady’s retirement plans (and Gisele’s).

I agree and the same rational can be applied to Rudolph and Lauletta. At least 2 years of job security for Brady (as if he ever needed it lol) while the kid develops.

The thing about Jackson, and this is a big deal for the NFL, is that most of his big run plays were designed runs. A lot of these running guys go one read and if the receiver is covered, they pull the ball down and run with it. You can get away with that in college but it's a liability in the pros.

Not Jackson, he would go through his progressions and not panic. His ball pplacement still good on his second or third read. To me, that suggests he won't get himself hurt scrambling around and that he has the mental makeup to be a pro QB in a timing offense like the Patriots'.
His accuracy is abysmal.

LJ floor, Tim Tebow, Football player who can play as a non QB and excel.
Tebow didnt excel as a non qb

Ceiling? TB12 with elite athletic skills. The stuff that needs to be 'fixed' his throwing mechanics depends on the kid's attitude. IMO he wants to be a great QB, so he will put in the work. I have seen some film analysis that shows him staying the pocket and taking a hit rather than running to make a play. Going through progressions.

I want the kid to be there at 23, I think he will develop into a GREAT HOF QB,...IF put in the right situation. The Patriots and learning by being in the room with Brady is the right situation IMO.
Careful what you wish for. To compare him to Brady would mean you never watched either play.

You’re not wrong judging by his Miss St tape.
You don’t have to look further than 54,56,59 completion percentage from a guy who can run so never has to throw away or force a throw and the fact he did it against a lower level of competition. But yeah the tale backs it up

Lamar Jackson is going to be overdrafted on potential alone mark it... The Patriots have No Chance! of getting him. And I would not mortgage two picks for him either knowing the Team has other pressing needs. We have Draft capital to double dip at the position all we have to find is QB or two who have the potential to be a good Pocket passer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back