PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Potential cuts who could be benificial to the pats

jsull87

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know the offseason is a while off but I was just reading the cap numbers then had a look at some key players that could be cut that could interest the Pats.

On the cap ( » Over the Cap- NFL Salary Cap Space 2013 ) has a couple of teams over the proposed 126.8m cap already. I have put together below a couple of cap cuts for these tams that could be interesting for us:

Cowboys (10m over): Mackenzy Bernadeau G saves them 1.5M , Phil Costa C 1.5M

NO (9M over): Will Smith 11.5M, Jabari Greer 3.5m, Ingram 1.4m, Moore 2.5M

Steelers (6m over): Ike Taylor 7M, Heath Miller 6m, Levi Brown 6M

Seattle: (2m under 45 on roster): almost their entire roster they save money cutting. » Over the Cap- Seattle Seahawks 2014 Salary Cap and Contracts

Detroit (2m under 38 on roster): Burleson WR 5.5M, Delmas S 6M, Jason Jones DE 2.5, Rob Sims 1.6 G

St Louis (46 under contract 4m under): Finnegan CB 4m, Dahl G 4m, Langford DT and Wells C 4m

I am sure there are others and this may be a bit early, but I just thought i'd share something I had been looking at which will in all likely hood come into play this offseason.

Just for completeness we are 10m under with 51 under contract. Players who could save us money if cut could be: Sopoaga 2.75m, Gregory 2.35, Kelly 2.5m, A Wilson 1.166m, DJ Williams $645k, C White $645k. I'd also mention Wilfork and Mankins for restructurings with cap hits of 10.5 and 11.6 M.

I've been liking the idea of trading for Mark Ingram for a while (although he's a little expensive). One other thought is trading a 2nd or 3rd for Morris Claiborne. He doesn't fit the Dallas D and has played like it but is a really good fit for our defense and the Cowboys do need some cap relief. It's an unlikely scenario in which they trade him but we should be at the front of the queue if they do (particularly if it can be resolved before any Talib decision is made). I'd give up a second rounder for Claiborne.

I've been liking the idea of trading for Mark Ingram for a while (although he's a little expensive). One other thought is trading a 2nd or 3rd for Morris Claiborne. He doesn't fit the Dallas D and has played like it but is a really good fit for our defense and the Cowboys do need some cap relief. It's an unlikely scenario in which they trade him but we should be at the front of the queue if they do (particularly if it can be resolved before any Talib decision is made). I'd give up a second rounder for Claiborne.

I would love to have Claiborne on the team and think he would be a great guy to buy low on. Unfortunately his contract will likely make that impossible. For the 2014 season he still has $9mil dead money on his contract and cutting him would cost the Cowboys and extra $5mil above his salary already in 2014. I love the player though and agree he would be a much better fit here than Dallas.

I would love to have Claiborne on the team and think he would be a great guy to buy low on. Unfortunately his contract will likely make that impossible. For the 2014 season he still has $9mil dead money on his contract and cutting him would cost the Cowboys and extra $5mil above his salary already in 2014. I love the player though and agree he would be a much better fit here than Dallas.

Two questions:

1. What does it cost the Cowboys to trade, rather than cut him? Would they save money?

2. Would he work out cheaper for us than re-signing Talib long-term?

I loved Claiborne coming out of LSU but don't really like him too much anymore, if he was cheap I would definitely target him but I doubt he's on the trading block, I do however love the idea of trading a sixth for Ingram, he still has a lot of upside and can definitely be used in our RB corps.

one thing to see from the list are TE number of G/C options that could potentially be available.

RE Claiborne, it juust wouldn't make sense or Dallas I am afraid. I also just hope to keep this secondary together. They are very tale ted IMO

It might be Nap Time, Hoss.

He's more of a guaranteed cut than a potential one thanks to his $14M salary next season, but it would not surprise me at all if Belichick tried to get one last good year (or maybe two) out of Julius Peppers. We've all known of Belichick's infatuation with him, and for the first time in his career, he's not going to get a ridiculous contract.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 21h
Fate sealed RT @jwyattsports: Would #Titans RB Chris Johnson consider a pay cut for 2014? "No way," he said. Would C.J. consider a pay cut? No way | Titans Insider

Johnson is nearly guaranteed to get cut. He's nearly cooked at this point, but could he be utilized as a scat back or something? Just a thought. IMO, he will be humbled in FA and barely receive any looks so he should be cheap. 29 year old RBs are not hot commodities.

Johnson is nearly guaranteed to get cut. He's nearly cooked at this point, but could he be utilized as a scat back or something? Just a thought. IMO, he will be humbled in FA and barely receive any looks so he should be cheap. 29 year old RBs are not hot commodities.
I would assume that Belichick would pass due to Johnson's known issues with pass blocking. There's no reason to expect that Johnson is smart enough to known his blocking responsibilities, and then he just sucks at blocking on top of that.

I also would expect that he's chasing money and nothing else right now, so even if he doesn't have a ton of offers, he's taking the highest one.

Two questions:

1. What does it cost the Cowboys to trade, rather than cut him? Would they save money?

2. Would he work out cheaper for us than re-signing Talib long-term?

I believe in a trade the original team is still on the hook for all of the guaranteed money which would be accelerated to the current season. So whether he is cut or traded I think the cap ramifications would be the same for the Cowboys. Claiborne's 2014 cap number is $4,435,773, but if he is cut or traded I believe it would jump to $9,610,842.

From a Pats perspective he would certainly be cheaper than Talib, but then you have to factor in trade compensation as well. I think its going to be very interesting to see how much Talib ultimately gets when you take into account his injury history, character history, drop in production the 2nd half of the year and depth in the FA CB market.

I believe in a trade the original team is still on the hook for all of the guaranteed money which would be accelerated to the current season. So whether he is cut or traded I think the cap ramifications would be the same for the Cowboys. Claiborne's 2014 cap number is $4,435,773, but if he is cut or traded I believe it would jump to $9,610,842.

From a Pats perspective he would certainly be cheaper than Talib, but then you have to factor in trade compensation as well. I think its going to be very interesting to see how much Talib ultimately gets when you take into account his injury history, character history, drop in production the 2nd half of the year and depth in the FA CB market.

I hope we keep him, and get his hip fixed.

Not quite.

If you trade or cut a player, the cap ramifications are the same with regards to money already paid. OTOH, future obligations move over to the new team.

For example, if the Pats were to trade Amendola before the 2014 season, the remainder of his prorationed signing bonus would be accelerated, but the salary he's guaranteed for 2014 would no longer be on the Pats' cap.

Not quite.

If you trade or cut a player, the cap ramifications are the same with regards to money already paid. OTOH, future obligations move over to the new team.

For example, if the Pats were to trade Amendola before the 2014 season, the remainder of his prorationed signing bonus would be accelerated, but the salary he's guaranteed for 2014 would no longer be on the Pats' cap.

Ok thanks. I was a little confused because Claiborne's contract is fully guaranteed. So his 2014 cap hit if traded would be $5.13mil, which is still above his current $4.4mil cap hit. I would think Dallas would need huge compensation to make that deal, especially being in such bad shape cap wise.

He's more of a guaranteed cut than a potential one thanks to his $14M salary next season, but it would not surprise me at all if Belichick tried to get one last good year (or maybe two) out of Julius Peppers. We've all known of Belichick's infatuation with him, and for the first time in his career, he's not going to get a ridiculous contract.

Philosophically, I wouldn't care for the move. Peppers will be 34, and I believe that the enormous difference we're seeing between the Andre Carter of 32 that we had in 2011 and the Andre Carter of 34 that we're seeing now is very representative of the steep descent in Performance that one can typically expect to see.

Me, I'd prefer to fill the entire Roster with talented Players on the Ascent.

But, again: That's a philosophical choice. And having Peppers rotate in as the 4th or 5th End is certainly appealing, even to me, if that could be arranged.

I personally wouldn't, because I detest the dude, because he's a pestilential Cancer as a TeamMate, and because there are always young FlexBacks around with fresh legs.

But, like Brother Sciz's notion of Julius Peppers, I love the thinking behind the Idea, even if I wouldn't personally go for it: a top shelf Talent with some Juice left in'm. :cool:

I think BB's days of signing premium Free agents ended with Adalius Thomas.

Although getting a couple of productive years from Peppers as a PT player makes a lot of sense at the right price.

Re: Re: Potential cuts who could be benificial to the pats

... Peppers will be 34, and I believe that the enormous difference we're seeing between the Andre Carter of 32 that we had in 2011 and the Andre Carter of 34 that we're seeing now is very representative of the steep descent in Performance that one can typically expect to see...

While I agree in general, I think Carter might be more representative of a 34 year old player coming off of a major injury.

While I agree in general, I think Carter might be more representative of a 34 year old player coming off of a major injury.

Not so, my good man.

Unless you know something that I don't, the 33 Year Old Andre Carter of 2012 was coming off a major Injury.

This Year, he's 2 Years removed from it.

Some comments on the comments:

1. If there is one position where the Pats are stacked at its RB. so why would they even consider Mark Ingram, who hasn't had the production of Boldin, let alone Ridley, Blount, and Vareen.

2. If I were the Pats the 3 places I'd be looking for FA help is for a 2nd TE starter, DT, and OG, that's if we don't decide to fill those positions in the draft.

The Pats are a very young team, we need to concentrate on developing the talent we have, and except at the 3 areas named, don't need huge infusions of talent, except as depth and/or to raise the level of competition.

Think about it - This is 12 win team who will be adding FOUR pro-bowl players back to team, all of whom missed a considerable amount of time in Mayo, Wilfolk, Volmer, and Gronk. Imagine adding 4 all pro FA's to one's team. That NEVER happens. Yet by all intents and purposes, it will happen to our Patriot team. So no matter what happens in FA or the draft, the infusion of talent we will get this off season is going to be historic

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back