PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We COULD (and should not) Create More Than $25M of Cap Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Some are not satisfied with the best offseason and best draft in the NFL that improves the Super Bowl champion's position compared the rest of the league.

Some still want major acquisitions through signings or trades. I'm not talking about the obvious like signing Bailey and Watson or another TE. That's sort of a given, and easily done without any heroics. However, if the team decided to get all the players now, and pay later, over $25M can be freed up. Personally, I favor almost none of this. Brady will extend, but I would want it to free up only $4M, pushing less money forward. A restructure to Cannon or Hightower would yield $3M if needed.

I would guess that this might be enough, although I would hope to see an extension for Van Noy.

RESTRUCTURES ($12M)
Overthecap gives an lysis of restructures, moving salary over the same length as the existing contract with no change in total compensation. These 8 total $12M. Note that there is no change in the length of the contract or in compensation. All that happens is that 2019 cap money is moved to the future, where it could be dead money, but the there is no additional total cap money spent.
Hightower ($3M)
Cannon ($3M)
Mason ($2.5M)
Bennett ($1.0)
Harmon ($0.8M)
Guy ($.7M)
Andrews ($.6M)
Burkhead ($.5M)

BRADY 2 YEAR EXTENSION ($8M)
A $12M bonus and a $3M salary would give Brady the same cash/compensation this year, and would move $8M of cap money to the future.

A "FAKE" EXTENSION ($6M)
We could extend McCourty by 2 years and spread his current salary. If there is a high 2020 option bonus, the team would need to negotiate before next season. So, McCourty could be convinced to sign now, since a contract couldn't harm him,
EXAMPLE: 2020 could include a $10M roster bonus and a $10M salary. Since the team would not be ready to pay McCourty $20M of new money, there is no danger to either party. Of course, the patriots would lost a 2021 3rd rounder should McCourty decide to play in 2020.

Last edited:
For the record, I wasn't happy with the draft and FA was a Trainwreck.

I would like to see the team extend Brady, Harmon, KVN, Andrews.

I would like to see the team extend Brady, Harmon, KVN, Andrews.
Hmm. Harmon I'm not sure. But I would love to see KVN, Brady, Edelman and Andrews.

For the record, I wasn't happy with the draft and FA was a Trainwreck.

well, that is surprising. I thought it was the best draft since 2010, maybe even further back.

FA we did not overpay for mediocre Trent Brown. Letting Flowers walk was logical. We added valuable depth especially at ST where we were mediocre last year.

There isn't much I would have done differently. Sure, we could see paying Golden Tate or Humphries, but not 10+ per.

Bet anyone a beer that Gordon is back after 4 games. The NFL will use him as an example of loosening Marijuana laws and quit penalizing it. Will take some heat off the violence towards women guys

@mgteich , I gotta say that I have been reading your detailed posts all off season....and appreciate the work you put in your posts. Thumbs up!

Resigning KVN is far more important than most on this board realize.
I hope to hell it happens!

I thought Harmon and Andrews were extended last offseason?

well, that is surprising. I thought it was the best draft since 2010, maybe even further back.

FA we did not overpay for mediocre Trent Brown. Letting Flowers walk was logical. We added valuable depth especially at ST where we were mediocre last year.

There isn't much I would have done differently. Sure, we could see paying Golden Tate or Humphries, but not 10+ per.

There is nothing surprising about Triumph crapping on their draft and personal moves, he’s being doing it for years and years. He even made the claim he could do a better job as GM than Brlichick.

Some are not satisfied with the best offseason and best draft in the NFL

Dude...

tumblr_mhqc9iSDIg1qed7g8o2_400.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back