PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Packers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best game of the year by the defense so far.

No question

They've still got a long way to go, but that's more the kind of defense they're going to need in the playoffs than anything we've seen all season.

Outside of that dumb Cover-0 call on third down earlier in the game, which was the fault of the play caller and not the personnel,

I know I'm not the only one who called that a disaster before the ball was even snapped.

they played the way I’ve been wanting them to play all season. Rodgers was rarely comfortable in the pocket and Flowers and Clayborn were beasts.

Clayborn finally showed up the way he needs to. If he can keep that up, it'll really help against mobile QBs.

No question

They've still got a long way to go, but that's more the kind of defense they're going to need in the playoffs than anything we've seen all season.

I know I'm not the only one who called that a disaster before the ball was even snapped.

Clayborn finally showed up the way he needs to. If he can keep that up, it'll really help against mobile QBs.
I have some questions as to whether or not they were supposed to retreat into Cover-2, as they did in Green Bay’s last series of the game. Didn’t look like it, though.

if you would have told me going into Sunday night that the Pats would only give up 17 points to Green Bay, I would have signed up for that in a heartbeat!

You have to hand it to the defense, they played well. The fumble saved them from giving up some points, but they played pretty well. They had decent pressure on Rodgers, but more importantly they did not let him run around and get first downs with his legs.

Aside from the one bomb, I though Jason McCourty played well. It was nice to see Hightower back out there.

McCarthy's going to lose his job because he's got a QB who doesn't step it up late in games against winning teams.

That slow drive while down 2 scores in the 4th quarter was just an appalling sequence that would make Andy Reid go "LOL REALLY?" Rodgers controlled the tempo and dragged his feet for some reason. The Packers covered 27 yards in like 3:30.

Though in general I tend to blame Fat Mike more than Rodgers, their entire scheme and play calling on offense is really predictable and antiquated, to the point where Packers fans HOPE the called play is busted so Rodgers can do a scramble drill instead.

Though in general I tend to blame Fat Mike more than Rodgers, their entire scheme and play calling on offense is really predictable and antiquated, to the point where Packers fans HOPE the called play is busted so Rodgers can do a scramble drill instead.

That's been a prevailing theme of critics lately, but the reality is that Rodgers is putting up his numbers under that system, and Rodgers was missing windows that would have been completions had he hit them. To me, that begs the question of whether this is more of a Cam Newton situation (great talent who's at his best when his O.C. is able to rein him in an make him less of Cam Newton) or a Peyton Manning situation (great talent with flaws, but who can best excel when allowed to be the Peytonest Peyton he can be).

Best takeaway from this game, for me, is that defense played a heck of a game. Folks here who take into account the history of our team understand that our defense always gets better as the season goes on. But some folks are in panic mode if we give up 30 pts in week 1. Sustained success is what this and past Pats teams are built for.
I don't care that it's a home game but limiting Rodgers to 17 pts is as good as it gets. I hope we can build on this and get stronger on D while O continues to get better.

In my opinion, last night was a statement win for this team. It may very well define how far we go this season.

Go Pats !!!

Packers may target McDaniels and it would be damn hard I would think to turn that down.
Cleveland Green Bay there have been talks about Denver apologizing to Josh and him maybe embracing a second chance there.
Me I would rather have Josh with Tom til Tom retires.

My take:

McDaniels isn't going anywhere without either having his QB or having the draft pick to get his QB, so Denver's out even if Denver wanted him back.

Going to a team where he'd need to revamp the system AND deal with an aging athletics-reliant QB is also probably not something he'll want to do.

1. If he thinks Mayfield is the real deal, I could see him looking seriously at Cleveland.
  2. He won't go to the Jets, both out of respect to BB and because it would be silly to think it's a good idea to go up against BB/Brady twice a year for the next few years.
  3. Tampa would be a possibility if he either likes Winston (Probably not at this stage of Winston's career) or if Tampa's season ends badly enough for McD to think he'll be able to get a QB in the draft.
  4. Arizona might be a possibility if McD likes Rosen and the Cardinals decide that they made a mistake with their rookie coach.

Outside of that, I think it would take a shock firing of a coach with a young QB to pry McD loose this off season.

I cannot wait to hear Max Kellerman and Stephen A’s excuses tomorrow morning. They will throw everyone under the bus but Rodgers.

Can't wait to taste the salty tears of Rodger's ballwashers: Mr. Ed, Cornball Parker, Screamin A. smith, The Cliff, and Nick Wrong.

Thannon went full Thannon Tharpe with his apologizing for Rodgers, and minimizing Brady, after the game last night, and again this morning.

Great win. For all the media buzz over this game, it was an easy win (we could have put up 38) despite not having out starting TE, RB, and RG.

A) Bill Belichick defeated Mike McCarthy

B) Rodgers was let down by his team again.

C) Look at the throws Rodgers made, Brady could only dream of some of those.

Standard excuses etc ...

Yes it has already started. The First things First crew basically said what you mentioned. Be interesting to see what Steve A. and Max K. have to say today.

if you would have told me going into Sunday night that the Pats would only give up 17 points to Green Bay, I would have signed up for that in a heartbeat!

You have to hand it to the defense, they played well. The fumble saved them from giving up some points, but they played pretty well. They had decent pressure on Rodgers, but more importantly they did not let him run around and get first downs with his legs.

Aside from the one bomb, I though Jason McCourty played well. It was nice to see Hightower back out there.
JMac played very well and has done so throughout the season. He has far exceeded expectations given he almost looked like he was on the bubble preseason.

He's actually the best QB in Patriots history, as measured by stats, and not even the best WR on the team. Why, oh why, does the coaching staff continue to play him out of position? This, and the inability to draft well in the 2nd round, is what has cost Brady 3 rings.

He [Edelman] added: “I’m just mad that [running back] James [White] didn’t get in. I would’ve had a better stat line.”

Julian Edelman logs highest passer rating in duel between Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady

The Pats will end up the regular season having played against the Bears, the Jags, the Jest (twice) and the 'Fins (twice). And, ironically, will likely have had their worst passing day against the Lions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore