PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post-Game: Patriots vs. New Orleans

Status
Not open for further replies.
it wasn't a great block by Fleming, he actually whiffs on #63 Tapp. luckily Derby was able to knock him to the ground.

Cam and Derby took out the DE and OLB together on a combo block, BTW Karras not Shaq was at RG.

What is clear is that Garopollo is not going to set the world on fire or raise questions about who is going to be the starter QB for the Patriots in mid season when he faces 1st string defensive players. Still needs to develop the smarts and intangibles that a cerebral QB needs to run this offense (and for that it needs to be cerebral), but the talent is there, needs a lot more work on his touch of course but that comes with time and playing time in real games.

On the flip side, he only had the 'B' of the BAGEL offense to work with (Bennett, Amendola, GRONK, Edelman, Lewis). If that group's a 10 (for reference), what the Pats gave Garoppolo last night was maybe a 5 or 6.

One other thought: the SEC network coverage awards a "Freak of the Week" award.

Trey Flowers won their SEC Freak of the Year award.

I didn't get the game down here, so I'm going on what I read above, which I interpret as cautiously optimistic pending more information. No "We're going 4--0! Woo Woo! Suck it Goodell!" But also no "We're doomed." Is that a fair read of what you folks who actually saw the game are saying?

The only thing I can read between the lines is that JG is going to need as much work as he can safely be given in the preseason, which means that we're going to have to accept that it will be Week Five before we see the GOAT for more than a series or two.

A couple of quick outs and something over the middle...meh, with the other JAG receivers out there, he should garner more looks.
3 catches in a half is productive. People are calling derby the next Gronk when he caught 3.

I didn't see Dobson getting open much, especially in the 1st q. When Mitchell came in it was another game.
After that there were some remarks that Dobson took BB's comment about staying healthy too literally and I couldn't help but agreeing.

In any case this might be his last chance (and its a very big and lucky chance with everybody injured) so he needs to show up much more.
Huh?
He caught 3 passes in a half.
Comments by who?
You are looking for issues that aren't there.
Fans are emotional and make comments like you are. What Dobson needs to do is stay healthy and play well. He doesn't have to "show up much more". Unlike this site thinks he really doesn't have to do much more than everyone else or be perfect because you were disappointed. Just like every other player he just needs to stay healthy and okay well. Yesterday was a positive step.

3 catches in a half is productive. People are calling derby the next Gronk when he caught 3.

Derby was targeted. Mitchel had 4 catches in half a quarter. How many times was Dobson the first read and didn't get open? Who knows.

Derby was targeted. Mitchel had 4 catches in half a quarter. How many times was Dobson the first read and didn't get open? Who knows.
Derbys 3 catches means he was targeted and dobsons don't?
So since you don't know how many times he was the first read and didn't get open you will assume he sucked because he caught 3 passes in a half which would project to 6 a game and 96 over a season.
What were you looking for 10 catches?

I saw it differently. I saw Blount running to the hole and when there was no hole there he stutter stepped and cut back. You can't criticize the RB when the hole is plugged. He would get criticized by the coachjng staff if he just ran into a hole that isn't there because fans complain about "dancing running backs".

Thats fine. No question the line was not great last night.

catches a half= 96 catches a year if my math is right. thats not bad at all
It's Dobson he has to score 5 TDs a game for people around here to only say that he is made of glass so he will get hurt soon.

Derbyshire 3 catches means he was targeted and dobsons don't?
So since you don't know how many times he was the first read and didn't get open you will assume he sucked because he caught 3 passes in a half which would project to 6 a game and 96 over a season.
What were you looking for 10 catches?

I didn't say he sucked, I said he was unimpressive. Dobson was playing against 2nd and 3rd string corners and didn't seem to make much of an impact. Sure, 3 catches....2 quick outs and caught a short pass over the middle. Good, I am happy he looked good in those 3 instances.

Mitchel caught 4 balls and looked like the real deal, Dobson looked like a JAG. That is my opinion.

Thats fine. No question the line was not great last night.
Pet peeve. RBs "dance" when there is nowhere to go. Fans call them ****ies. Coaches would cut them if they ran into the intended hole when there was a defender in it.
Running laterally is not good but it's better than running into an I unblocked defender. Most of the blame and credit RBs get really belongs to the OL.

Pet peeve. RBs "dance" when there is nowhere to go. Fans call them ****ies. Coaches would cut them if they ran into the intended hole when there was a defender in it.
Running laterally is not good but it's better than running into an I unblocked defender. Most of the blame and credit RBs get really belongs to the OL.

I don't think its being a ****y. It means that they don't trust the hole that needs to be there or the lineman's ability to hold the block.

Blount did that last night but I think he also believes sometimes he is quicker than he is. He has good feet but is not quick per se.

Additionally I think it depends on the RBs skill set.

Dillion was elite at the studder-step. That IMO is not dancing.

Maroney danced and he shouldn't have.

Barry Sanders danced because he knew he had the skill to turn a 2 yd gain into an 80 yard one.

I didn't say he sucked, I said he was unimpressive. Dobson was playing against 2nd and 3rd string corners and didn't seem to make much of an impact. Sure, 3 catches....2 quick outs and caught a short pass over the middle. Good, I am happy he looked good in those 3 instances.

Mitchel caught 4 balls and looked like the real deal, Dobson looked like a JAG. That is my opinion.
Dobson played against the 1s.
So catching one more pass vs lesser competition is real deal compared to unimpressive?
I think you have the affliction that has struck this board. Dobson can do no right and anyone else doing the same thing is impressive.

I don't think its being a *****. It means that they don't trust the hole that needs to be there or the lineman's ability to hold the block.

Blount did that last night but I think he also believes sometimes he is quicker than he is. He has good feet but is not quick per se.

Additionally I think it depends on the RBs skill set.

Dillion was elite at the studder-step. That IMO is not dancing.

Maroney danced and he shouldn't have.

Barry Sanders danced because he knew he had the skill to turn a 2 yd gain into an 80 yard one.
Maroney is a good example. He made a lot of plays in the hole that it was not designed to go to but was constantly maligned when abandoning a hole that wasn't there didn't work.

Dobson is still here after three full season because he has a high ceiling. Guys with his size and speed are a rare commodity but at the end of the day, all the potential in the world wont win a single game.

It's time for this guy to produce some highlight reel suff but in my opinion, his performance was just pedestrian last night.

Mitchell on the other hand, looks like a stud right out of the gate.

The real surprise yesterday to me was Humber.
I was intrigued when BB brought him in early in FA because i didn't think it was a position of need. Most had him as a TC body. Everything was pretty quiet about him since. But yesterday he looked impressive and was on the field from start (ST) to end (LB). Hope he sticks around.

Last edited:
Maroney is a good example. He made a lot of plays in the hole that it was not designed to go to but was constantly maligned when abandoning a hole that wasn't there didn't work.

Maroney's upright running style killed his career. When he got his shoulder shredded he became very tentative.

I really thought in the 07 playoffs he came of age. Shame.

QB - still a lot of work to be done. Its true JG didnt have any of the weapons beside Bennett before Mitchell came in and not even 2 sec time from OL but that doesnt make it right taking some horrible decisions. Turning into RB instead of at least sliding was just irresponsible and BB was red on the screen. Id personally kick JGs ass if he did that to me.

RB - Id like to meet in person the reporters from TC saying Blount looks “nimble“. What is the opposite of nimble then? White and Bolden fighting good for their roster spots. Ignoring the TD (which will be good for his self confidence) Gaffney went for it every time with no hesitation, reasonably good vision. Id like to see him more in the first parts of the game. Im sorry for the kid but Iosefa doesnt belong. Develin will be really important if we want to run with this guys.

WR - maybe its a fierce competition but apart from Mitchell im not impressed and I guess it will be easy to bring anyone to PS. Dobson playing hide and seek is just sad.

TE - Bennett is a swiss knife. I hope as durable as well. Derby looks great. Hope to see him against 1st's.

OL - Thuney was the only one deserving of Patriot uniform out there. For the moment I would by all means keep Karras. At least he can stand up to guys. Solder and Andrews looked like new additions to our OL misery.

DL - Expected a bit more pushing the line from DT's but a very solid group of 5 (including Kuhn & Valentine)

DE - finnaly a positive surprise by all McC, Long and the man of the match Flowers. Trading CJ looks like the least of our problems. Also liked the schemes. This D could be spectacular to watch.

LB - to me JC and DH are simply the best LB duet in NFL. What a privilege to watch them together. But the biggest positive surprise of the day in my eyes goes to Humber. LB and ST. I just dont see this guy cut. KGH looking small but feisty, always where the action is, sometimes naive and out of position, but a joy to watch. There just should be a place for him and it looks the coaches think so as well. Another positive surprise was Elandon Roberts, very solid 2nd half.

CB - like with WR's not too impressed. Most of them looked small and lost. Only both Jones's looked good to me. Biggers and D.Roberts (unfortunately) I just dont see.

S - Richards still struggles with his athletic (dis)abilities but I love his football intelligence. I really liked the moment when after Leblanc's interception he ran between him and NO receiver so that he doesn't touch him and urged (pushed) him to run for gain (the play was stopped but i like his awareness).

So for the moment our two big weaknesses from last year promise more suffering for us and JG.
What I really want him to learn by next week is to throw the ball away and himself on the ground.
Way too negative for the first preseason game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back