PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Some owners wonder whether NFL should get out of investigation business

Only way out of this, as I see it, is to somehow get the Goon to create a franchise in Utah and then prosecute him for a litany of organized criminal enterprises attendant to and entwined within said franchise. Upon a guilty verdict we can at last enjoy one of America's favorite pastimes, execution by firing squad.
"Last month, Utah Gov. Gary Herbert signed a bill bringing back the firing squad as a method of execution. The state abandoned firing squads in 2004 but now, it has returned as the backup option — partly because of a shortage of lethal injection drugs, the state's default execution method."

If it were were me facing execution and given a choice, I'd definitely pick firing squad over lethal injection.

I've actually long thought the NFL should put the onous on this type of thing to the individual teams. They are the ones doing the hiring so they should get the black eye when things like Hunt happen.
I actually think the NFL somewhat enables this stuff because they take the brunt of the PR hit and look worse than the Chiefs right now and it's obviously on the Chiefs for hiring Hunt.
If you made it the Chiefs responsibility they might not handle it how the NFL wants but at least the black eye would be on one franchise not the whole league every time.
The idea being the pressure created from these PR nightmares should be felt harder if it were more local and teams would hopefully be more willing to get in front of these things.
Reality is they would probably cover up just the same as the NFL does now but at least it will be one franchise in trouble for each incident rather than the whole league.

Not sure they want to give up investigating as they control the narrative.. but if they want their credibility back they should 0pt out of this function and contract it to a private security/investigative firm..
51GcJcjHzQL.jpg

Should 1+1=2?

What they need is to get out of the Goodell business. Their problem is that he's an idiot. They need someone with common sense and ideally at least a little bit of wisdom. The other major sports leagues don't have the same problems. Adam Silver of the NBA has put a number of issues to rest quickly and peacefully. Look how quickly Silver did away with the racist Clippers owner. I can't imagine how badly Goodell would have messed that up.

The owners are disgustingly corrupt, and Goodell is their weak, corrupt puppet who makes absolutely zero actual decisions. The public is pissed at him, but they keep watching and making the NFL record profits. Goodell is fine with being the punching bag when he cashes each and every one of those gaudy paychecks.

When he’s done, someone just like him will step right in, and the band plays on...

Not sure they want to give up investigating as they control the narrative.. but if they want their credibility back they should 0pt out of this function and contract it to a private security/investigative firm..

You were doing alright until you got to the bold and went off the rails.

To get high quality investigative work requires lifetime professionals whose allegiance is to their profession, and a higher purpose of objectivity and justice, not to an organization. This is required to ensure that there aren't conflicts of interest. It isn't just the NFL that doesn't understand this; most of the American public doesn't get it, either.

As long as the NFL is more motivated by public opinion than by objective outcomes, it'll screw this up. Having Goodell in charge makes it more comical and clumsy, but that's not the core issue.

Setting aside the debate as to whether or not they should even be investigating these alleged crimes, the part that I have the biggest problem with is the fact that they completely suck at it. They’re terrible. If they were investigating and they actually got the facts straight, I wouldn’t mind quite as much, but they’re totally useless.

They take things out of context, fail to secure basic testimony and proper “proof” (camera footage, etc), and just make things up as they go. There’s no rhyme or reason to their supposed third-party selections, so in my opinion, the whole thing is a total sh!tshow.

The NFL has zero interest in giving up investigative control

Do not disagree, based on the presumption that the basic function of any organization is to perpetuate itself and by giving up this aspect they lose part of their control, but if they want to regain any semblance of credibility they need to do something different than f.. ing things up time after time...

At this time the NFL is more popular than ever, but have to wonder how many times instances such at this will result in a loss of cash flow... they basically ignored this event ergo they are complicit..

In the last few years Major League Baseball has had a team hack into the database of another and several instances of sign stealing and literally none of it lasted more than a day or two in the headlines. Christ the Astros had a guy who did nothing but stare into the opposing dugout and they cleared them in like a day because their league cares more about not making their defending champion look like cheaters for petty ******** than they do about ratings during the off-season while getting everyone to stop talkng about concussions.

Setting aside the debate as to whether or not they should even be investigating these alleged crimes, the part that I have the biggest problem with is the fact that they completely suck at it. They’re terrible. If they were investigating and they actually got the facts straight, I wouldn’t mind quite as much, but they’re totally useless.

They take things out of context, fail to secure basic testimony and proper “proof” (camera footage, etc), and just make things up as they go. There’s no rhyme or reason to their supposed third-party selections, so in my opinion, the whole thing is a total sh!tshow.

That’s the thing. You are worried about facts. Facts are inconvenient things and should be ignored along with all these pointy headed professors talking about equations and physical reality. It’s all hogwash and tripe. Now I’d only roger can figure a way to pin it on the pats!

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back